• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A cheap steakhouse in Manhattan

BryanZ

I have a problem that needs a rapid solution. Some Japanese clients are in town for the International Gift Fair and want to eat "a big American steak" on the cheap on Tuesday evening. They're young salary men who aren't all that into food but simply want some kind of American steakhouse experience.

While they'd be okay with something like Outback [shudder] I think we can do somewhat better.

The restrictions are as follows:

-Steak (can be a la carte but a veg or something would be a nice bonus) must be $30 or under. That's a firm restriction, so $32.95 won't cut it.

-Steak must be "big" so no 7 oz. petit fillets.

-Restarant must be easy to find so no higher than say 85th and no lower than around Washington Sq. Park. Obviously only Manhattan.

-A reservation must be available for Tuesday evening. Doesn't have to be a prime slot at 8 o 9pm but normal dining hours would be appreciated.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have. I know this is a tall order for an unexciting end product but I know you guys can come up with something.

Hey Bryan,

Maybe too late for you now, but I'll second Les Halles - especially if you go for the Cote de Bouef, $58 for two. It's a beautiful hunk of meat. Some grumble about the service at both the midtown and downtown branches, but you can't fault the quality of the beef. Or the fries, for that matter.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

want some kind of American steakhouse experience.

Les Halles?

:huh: it's good steak but it ain't 'merican.

sorry my brains a fizzle try a citysearch under steakhouses, and weed from there ( I know, no help).

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

There's always Tad's. It's pretty bad, but it will get them the most alarmingly huge steak for the money and it's a legitimate New York tradition.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Cheap Steak....try Tad's. Better yet, if you can take the PATH to Hoboken (just few stops from Manhattan) than Arthur's Tavern is your best bet. 24 oz Delmonico for $16 and 48 oz for $26 with all the free pickles and sauerkraut. Your Japanese salaryman friends will beg you to stop the torture!

Arthur's Tavern

237 Washington Street

201-656-5009

http://www.arthurstavern.com/

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Well that's a situation I find myself in constantly, but never with that FIRM price restriction.. Must be a company policy or something?

It's a litle further south but otherwise it fits into your restriction - hlow about Dylan Prime? They could get the Ribeye or split the Porterhouse.

Otherwise I'd echo the Agelo and Maxie's suggestin, cuz all their steaks are under $30.

I have a problem that needs a rapid solution.  Some Japanese clients are in town for the International Gift Fair and want to eat "a big American steak" on the cheap on Tuesday evening.  They're young salary men who aren't all that into food but simply want some kind of American steakhouse experience.

While they'd be okay with something like Outback [shudder] I think we can do somewhat better.

The restrictions are as follows:

-Steak (can be a la carte but a veg or something would be a nice bonus) must be $30 or under.  That's a firm restriction, so $32.95 won't cut it.

-Steak must be "big" so no 7 oz. petit fillets.

-Restarant must be easy to find so no higher than say 85th and no lower than around Washington Sq. Park.  Obviously only Manhattan.

-A reservation must be available for Tuesday evening.  Doesn't have to be a prime slot at 8 o 9pm but normal dining hours would be appreciated.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have.  I know this is a tall order for an unexciting end product but I know you guys can come up with something.

Cheap Steak....try Tad's.  Better yet, if you can take the PATH to Hoboken (just few stops from Manhattan) than Arthur's Tavern is your best bet.  24 oz Delmonico for $16 and 48 oz for $26 with all the free pickles and sauerkraut.  Your Japanese salaryman friends will beg you to stop the torture! 

Arthur's Tavern

237 Washington Street

201-656-5009

http://www.arthurstavern.com/

Ya know--I immediately thought of Arthur's too.

Arthur's is probably the only place(s) that can be labeled :

"The New York steakhouse experience but cheap."

The drawback is New York is too expensive a town for a "cheap NY steakhouse" so

you gotta go to Jersey!!!!

(not really a drawback IMOP--NJ has a lot of food stuff goin on--including

dining with the best New York view).

I suppose Angelo and Maxie would be ok though I wouldn't call this a "cheap" experience.

as for Tad's--they must be doin something right--I can't believe they are still around.

I once read a great review of Tad's that said--"..............and you don't have to salt your steak, the chef sweats on it!"

first thing that comes to mind for me is "cite" or "cite grill". they're owned by the smith and wollensky group i think. they have a wine dinner which is prix fixe and all you can drink wine if you dine at a certain time...check out their website

it might not be the cheapest, but all you can drink wine isn't bad!

edited to add more information:

through labor day, the wine dinner option is offered all evening. otherwise it is after 8pm.

you get a choice of appetizer, entree and dessert PLUS all you can drink wine...$69/person. i don't think that's bad for a steakhouse and the portions are NOT small.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to send them to Angelo and Maxie's. While it's not dirt cheap, it fits the budget for the steak part of the meal, and it's up to them if they want to otherwise splurge on wine and/or sides.

I looked into Tad's and it seems just a little bit scary, but the thought was right. If for some reason Angelo and Maxie's disappears off the face of the earth this afternoon, Tad's will be a interesting cultural experience for everyone involved.

And for those of you who suggested Les Halles, it is, as Lucklies said, not 'merican. It was one of my first thoughts, however, until I was directed elsewhere.

A&M should be fine.

Although I had no real desire to go back, I had a decent enough meal there a couple years ago. Just order one of those monstrous steakhouse Sapphire martinis and they won't want any wine anyway.

It sounds like you want a classic American style steakhouse at a budget price. But if you just want straight up cheap but good steaks, maybe an Argentinian or Brazilian steakhouse/churrascuria is an option?

It sounds like you want a classic American style steakhouse at a budget price. But if you just want straight up cheap but good steaks, maybe an Argentinian or Brazilian steakhouse/churrascuria is an option?

Was just thinking the same thing. I had a fantastic meal at Carne Vale in E.Vlg. All inclusive for $35. As good as Plataforma albeit a much smaller salad bar and less meat options. Nevertheless, the sides and every cut of meat were done perfectly. Add the slightly hipper vibe and you've got a real winner. (Not sure if your Japanese friends care about that but it could be fun).

That wasn't chicken

first thing that comes to mind for me is "cite" or "cite grill".  they're owned by the smith and wollensky group i think.  they have a wine dinner which is prix fixe and all you can drink wine if you dine at a certain time...check out their website

it might not be the cheapest, but all you can drink wine isn't bad!

edited to add more information:

through labor day, the wine dinner option is offered all evening.  otherwise it is after 8pm.

you get a choice of appetizer, entree and dessert PLUS all you can drink wine...$69/person.  i don't think that's bad for a steakhouse and the portions are NOT small.

Cite has a price fix with out the wine that includes three courses and might fit the price range. Cite Grill (I think it is different from Cite) might be a more cost effective solution and the could always order a la carte.

Jeff

Thank you guys for all the suggestions.  I think I'm going to send them to Angelo and Maxie's.  While it's not dirt cheap, it fits the budget for the steak part of the meal, and it's up to them if they want to otherwise splurge on wine and/or sides.

I looked into Tad's and it seems just a little bit scary, but the thought was right.  If for some reason Angelo and Maxie's disappears off the face of the earth this afternoon, Tad's will be a interesting cultural experience for everyone involved.

And for those of you who suggested Les Halles, it is, as Lucklies said, not 'merican.  It was one of my first thoughts, however, until I was directed elsewhere.

not 'merican but steak frites would come in under budget. angelo and maxies is probably the best bet though

As long as we are bending the rules with Jersey reccomendations, why not throw Luger's out there? Steak for 2 will easily feed 3 people, bringing the price down to probably at or below 30 per person, and it's some of the best steak you can find in the city.

And as far as presentation--it doesn't get much bigger than a Luger's Porterhouse for 2. Also a quintessential steakhouse vibe.

As long as we are bending the rules with Jersey reccomendations, why not throw Luger's out there?  Steak for 2 will easily feed 3 people, bringing the price down to probably at or below 30 per person, and it's some of the best steak you can find in the city. 

And as far as presentation--it doesn't get much bigger than a Luger's Porterhouse for 2.  Also a quintessential steakhouse vibe.

The Pete Luger's steak for 2 is not going to feed 3 Americans...maybe 2 1/2 Japanese. I guess the boys are going to M&A....fo' sho.

Edited by AzianBrewer (log)

Leave the gun, take the canoli

A little too late for a rec, but how's Keen's for a cheap steakhouse these days? I haven't been in ages, but I remember it having an "American steakhouse" vibe. Here's the thread.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany