• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial Convection Ovens

A Patric

Hello,

I'm looking at different commercial convection ovens and trying to figure out which ones are the most accurate.

I've seen gas and electric, and different brands such as Blodgett and Southbend. Some have larger ranges of temperature from 140-200 F instead of 200-500 F, and some have weaker blower motors than others (1/2 hp as opposed to 3/4). Regarding the gas models, some are rated 72,000 BTU per oven cavity while others are at 50,000 BTU. The ones that I've seen all have two speed blowers. I don't necessarily know what difference all of this makes for what I'm looking for.

What I want is to find out which ovens are the most accurate in two senses:

1) When I set the controls at a temperature, they reach that temperature and remain as stable as possible, fluctuating only a couple of degrees higher or lower (is that possible?).

2) The temperature in the bottom, middle, and top of the oven is the same, or very, very close to the same.

I am also looking for controllability. As I have mentioned, I keep seeing two-speed fans, but I would like full control over the fan, the temperature, and the timer. All the ovens I've seen have 60 minute timers. I'd like some timers that allow for greater than 3 hour bake/roast times. I also prefer the great temperature ranges such as 140 F- 500F

Does anyone have any idea what types/brands of ovens I should be looking at that would fulfill my criteria, and whether I should be looking at electric or gas? The time it takes to bring the oven up to temp is less important to me than all the above criteria.

Thanks in advance for any help.

you might want to consider a combi oven. they offer better control over temperature and time, but i'm not sure about the fan. they also offer very low temperature settings and steam options. very expensive from what i understand, but fully programmable...they can even be used to proof and then switch to bake.

i think that "combi" is the type of oven and they're made by "rational"...but i could be confused on that. anyone else?

you might want to consider a combi oven.  they offer better control over temperature and time, but i'm not sure about the fan.  they also offer very low temperature settings and steam options.  very expensive from what i understand, but fully programmable...they can even be used to proof and then switch to bake.

i think that "combi" is the type of oven and they're made by "rational"...but i could be confused on that.  anyone else?

Thanks for the info.

Do you happen to know if there is anything that falls between the quality of a Rational combi, and the normal convection ovens that I've been seeing? I probably should have specified that I am looking for the most accurate and controllable oven without steam cooking options. It just didn't cross my mind.

I can imagine an oven with fully adjustable time, temp, and fan controls, and a larger internal mass for more even heating, but I just don't know what brands I should be looking at, and what the particular specs should be.

Thanks again.

i've never seen any such creature out there, unfortunately. the most i've seen on convections is a fan that can be turned off or on, no middle ground.

typically, the temperature drops precipitously when the door is opened and then usually overshoots by at least 20 degrees to compensate before levelling off.

but, i've only worked with models like blodgett, wolf, etc. maybe there's a european model that's better?

sodir makes a table top convection...but don't even bother, it's a stinker.

The Rational Combi Oven is the most impressive convection I've worked with yet!

Used the steam option a bit but since we were in Miami and wanted to keep the heat down, we would turn it on as needed.

No long warm-up, in fact, would hit real heat pronto.

I still dream about it.

The only other one I've been curious about is the Arpin, which is th oven of choice (supossedly) 9in the Pieere herme shop.

I used to have a webpage link, seems to have gone missing.

Can't go wrong with the Rational though.

Goo0d Luck!

2317/5000

Tan319, Alanamoana,

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'm out of luck trying to find something better than the standard conventionals, but at a lower pricepoint than the Rationals.

At any rate, I'll keep looking, and if I find anything of interest, I'll post it here.

Well, I've found out a bit more.

There are a number of models made by different manufacturers that run from down around 35,000 BTU per oven cavity all the way up to 90,000 BTU or maybe more that I haven't found yet. I've also found a major difference in timer controls. Most have 60 minute timers, but some of the ovens with cook and hold features have up to 15 hour digital timers. Some of these ovens also have digital temperature controls. Also, some of these ovens have convection cycling options. They still all say two speed fans, but I wonder if the convection cycling would allow for more control?? I've e-mailed one of the companies to see if I can find out a bit more.

If anyone else has anything to add, I'd still be very happy to hear about it.

Thanks

• 5 years later...

I'm in the market for a double deck, gas, convection oven. I've been using Blodgett for the last four years and now that I'm researching them, I'm finding other manufacturers such as Baker's Pride, Wolf, Duke, Vollrath, Star...

I need to make a purchase in the next two weeks (moving into new space) and while the used market hasn't come up with anything, I'm looking at buying new and of course, the best prices are from online vendors. One local dealer is willing to come very close to the pricing advertised on Big Tray for a Blodgett SHO, but is that SHO model worth buying? And what of these other manufacturers? Some are probably good to stay away from (because they are prone to breakdown), while others may be unsung heroes - this is where your opinion will help.

I'm using the oven for baking cakes, tarts, cheesecake - dessert items if that makes any difference in your recommendation or thinking.

Convections area true workhorse, they shine in commercial kitchens, baking everything from buns to roasting bones.

You, however, need a thoroughbred. With a convection you have no control over botom/top heat, you will get lop-sided muffins and cakes from the fan blowing in only one direction. You can, of course, work with these problems--baking on sheet pans lined with bbq bricks to "simulate" bottom heat, stopping mid-way and reversing sheet pans/cake pans to stop lop-sided tops. And of course, everytime you open that oven door, you get a fan-assisted blast of hot air heating up your kitchen.....

A deck oven won't do this. True, they do take a bit longer to bake with, but you have flexibility and better results.

Still, if you want a convection, start loking at spec sheets. Don't judge the oven on features, judge it by the length of warranties and what's covered. Blodgett for instance, has one of the best warranties on doors, which is the most common thing that goes wrong with convections.

Stay away fom electonic mother boards/controls. The simpler the controls, the fewer problems you will have. Don't get suckered in by "steam buttons". All this is, is a solenoid that sqirts water on the squirrel-cage fan, which flings droplets all over the oven's cavity. Water needs energy to convert it to steam, and this energy comes from your oven's heat: Once you press the "steam button", your temperature will drop dramatically, and needs almost 10 minutes to recuperate.

Choose a brand that has a reputable dealer in your area. I can't stress this enough. Even with a good brand things can go wrong. If the factory authorized repair guy is 120 miles away, you're out of luck for at least a week untill he makes to your place. If you use a non-factory authorized repair guy, odds are he won't have the proper parts in stock

Deck ovens? Nothing much goes wrong with them---there are no moving parts, nothing to wear out, maybe the light buld burns out, but that's it.

Thanks for the info! Due to space issues, I have to get a convection oven and want the double stack because of production quantities and staffing.... I'm definitely looking at Blodgett

so,it's between a Blodgett SHO which I can afford new; OR used DFGs. The local dealers are telling me to go with the DFGs because they are sturdier (?) and the door warranty isn't going to help me because the DFGs are used and there's only a 30 day warranty on used items. The new SHO would have a one year warranty. I wish I'd started the search earlier - I'm moving in three weeks and have to hit the ground running so I feel a little pressured to make a purchase and don't want to make a mistake. I can't afford a mistake! (My original plans changed dramatically in an unexpected way so I consider myself fortunate that I have space to move into at all!)

• 9 months later...

I'm in the process of starting a dessert catering business and need a small commercial convection oven, possibly with a steam feature. It will mainly be used to bake cookies and cakes. It would be nice to have an oven with two units, one for baking pastries and one with a slab to bake small breads as well. Any suggestions on what to buy? I'm thinking about a Pavailler, but this is a very expensive solution. And these ovens are a bit too large for my kitchen.

Have you looked at the full-size countertop Cadco? Friends installed one in their vintage kitchen in the place where there were originally two side-by-side electric ovens. It's 32 inches wide and needs a minimum of 4 inches clearance on each side. You can install a baking stone on the bottom rack - my friends got one that covers 2/3 of the bottom rack and holds three long baguettes.

Being able to use full-size sheet pans for direct baking and to hold cake pans, pie pans, cheesecake tins and etc., is a great advantage in keeping the floor of the oven clean.

For years I had a Blodgett, which held full-size sheet pans, but was deeper rather than wider.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks so much for your reply. I looked at the Cadco and it seems to be a great choice. However, I don't think it has a steam feature. Or did I overlook something?

It does not have an automatic steam feature but with the higher heat settings, a pan with boiling water on the bottom shelf (next to the baking stone if you get one) serves very well. My friends have had excellent results with it.

My Blodgett was a steam oven and it cost more than twice as much as the Cadco - and had to be professionally installed that also cost.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this topic up because my baker friend here in town just got one of these and had it plumbed to a water line so he can use it as a steam oven.

If you look at the list of specs - you will see "Includes electro watervalve for direct water connection "

If anyone wants a fairly compact oven that will handle full-size sheet pans, this one is an excellent choice. It required 220 (208-240V) electric supply similar to that required for a regular electric range or an electric dryer.

My friend has been intending to get one for some time but the best price till now was more than 2000. When he saw this price, he jumped at it.

The shipping from Colorado was FREE!

A large Caveat Emporium on the "steam feature" on most commercial convection ovens.

What is put into your oven is NOT steam, but rather water, generally a jet of water is aimed at the squirrel cage fan in your oven. Yes, the water comes from a plumbed in line and is controlled via a solenoid valve, but that's it.

The fan flings droplets of water all over the oven's cavity. The oven walls and floor being hot, convert this water into steam. Converting water into steam needs energy, and the enerrgy comes from the residual heat in your oven. In other words it cools your oven down--dramatically.

Some ovens, like the Rational brand have a genuine steam generator built in. In other words, steam--not water is pumped inot your oven, so it doesn't cool down your oven so much. The fancy deck ovens in large bread bakeries have this as well, but it is very expensive.

Stone decks are a nice feature in ovens, but remember, there is no direct heat source under the stone deck in an electric convection oven--unlike a deck oven where heating elements are directly under the stone. A true convection oven has the heating elements wrapped around the squirrel cage fan, a gas convection has the burners in an air box under the floor. What this means is that in an electric convection, the stone deck will take a looong time to get hot and give a nice crust/colour to the item being baked on top of it.

Hope this helps.

Thank you both for this information! Great group, I'm really impressed. I have not purchased the oven yet, was still debating whether the Cadco was the best choice. Your information made me smarter. I will talk to my contractor to see what he can do.

Whereabouts are you located, sweetmemories? If you're anywhere that shipping from South America is feasable, then Hornos Andino are definitely worth a look. When I upgrade my ovens, I'm switching to their 10-tray convections, which are lovely compact ovens and very efficient as well. No steam feature, but both I and other bakers down here do the tray of water on the lower deck thing, and that works admirably well.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 3 years later...

Bringing this up.

I need advice. I need to buy a commercial counter top oven.

Here things to keep in mind:

1. It need to be 120 V, I am renting and don't want to do any electrical work.

2. It is going to on top of my dryer which has a cabinet on top, so the max height is 21-21 1/2 inches

3. I need something that is more suited for cakes. Gentle convection or I've been reading that an oven where the fan shut off when the door opens is better. I'd like to be able to bake on multiple tiers having a reasonable even cooking.

There is what I found:

1. Deluxe oven . A lot of fans out there but unfortunately they went out of business. I found an used one and I was very happy but the seller didn't return my calls and email. The amp is a little high on this.

2. Star CCOH-3 Electric Countertop Half Size Convection Oven 120V. Pros: good price, meets the required electrical limits, fan turns off when door is opened. Cons: height 22", I need a 21" at most. It comes with legs, I wonder if  the legs can be shortened or left out.

3.NU-VU XO-1 Half Size Electric Countertop Convection Oven.

Meets the required electrical limits (not sure if amps too high), two fans but they don't turn off while opening the door. Cons: higher in price, only 2" inches spaces, so 4 shelves means 2 shelves really.  Doubt: height 20" does it include the 4" legs? Are they necessary? otherwise it's too tall

4. Vollrath 40703 Cayenne Half Size Convection Oven / Broiler - 120V.

Doesn't look like anything wrong with it, I'm just not sure how good it would be to bake cakes and don't know the spacing between shelves.

5. Waring WCO500X Half Size Convection Oven - 120V, 1700W.  Pros: cheap, has both a bake function and bake with convection (but I've always used bake with convection for cooking in multiple shelves). From the reviews a lot of people love it but how really consisted it is I have no idea.

Putting this down already helped me a lot in clarifying my mind. But in case you have more inputs they are welcome.

Edited by Franci (log)

Franci, I have the full tray size version of the Vollrath. It has been serving me well for the past 5 years and maintains a temperature between 3°C above and below the set temp. Mine is labeled an "Anvil" and is a 230V 50Hz version, but I do know that they make them for the U.S. market, operating on 120V at 60Hz. I have never used the half tray oven and do not know of anybody that has, so cannot pass comment on it. Do a search for Anvil COA 1004 and you will see it is the same oven as the Vollrath linked in your post. I have various other Anvil appliances that serve me well and have never given problems.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Franci,  have you considered a Cadco.  I have the quarter sized model.  http://www.amazon.com/Cadco-OV-003-Convection-1450-Watt-Stainless/dp/B0073UR364    The height is only 15 3/4,   the interior cavity is 14 w by 9 h by 11 1/4 deep http://www.cadco-ltd.com/download_spec_sheets.html

Mine sits on top of my dryer.

They make a half size, which also runs on 120 volts, though you don't gain any height, it is wider, but it is a little pricey.http://www.amazon.com/Cadco-OV-013-Convection-1450-Watt-Stainless/dp/B001EQ83OY/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1442750837&sr=1-1&keywords=cadco+convection+oven

Used ones are pretty easy to find on ebay, and sometimes even Craigslist.  The fan is pretty strong, but they sell a disc that sits on the back of the fan to lessen the airflow they call it an air deflector plate http://www.cadco-ltd.com/convection_oven_access.html#AirDeflector, it is $40 for a round piece of metal with two hooks and a few holes, so I made a similar sized disk out of sheet metal, and it works fine.  The fan does not cut off when you open the door, but the unit is well insulated.

Edited by Barrytm (log)

Franci,  have you considered a Cadco.  I have the quarter sized model.  http://www.amazon.com/Cadco-OV-003-Convection-1450-Watt-Stainless/dp/B0073UR364    The height is only 15 3/4,   the interior cavity is 14 w by 9 h by 11 1/4 deep http://www.cadco-ltd.com/download_spec_sheets.html

Mine sits on top of my dryer.

They make a half size, which also runs on 120 volts, though you don't gain any height, it is wider, but it is a little pricey.http://www.amazon.com/Cadco-OV-013-Convection-1450-Watt-Stainless/dp/B001EQ83OY/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1442750837&sr=1-1&keywords=cadco+convection+oven

Used ones are pretty easy to find on ebay, and sometimes even Craigslist.  The fan is pretty strong, but they sell a disc that sits on the back of the fan to lessen the airflow they call it an air deflector plate http://www.cadco-ltd.com/convection_oven_access.html#AirDeflector, it is $40 for a round piece of metal with two hooks and a few holes, so I made a similar sized disk out of sheet metal, and it works fine.  The fan does not cut off when you open the door, but the unit is well insulated.

Pretty sure Andie is a big fan of the Cadco ovens.

Interesting, I discovered the Cadco has, besides what was liked by Barrytm, also a heavier duty 120V half sheet size with manual control (or digital) and manual steam injection XAF-113. Here is a video if anybody is interested.