• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thermometer for Induction Cooktop

Ruth

I need a digital probe thermometer that will not go berserk when I am cooking on my induction burner. I have a Taylor, a Polder and one from Thermoworks but the display on all of these fluctuates wildly over the induction. Presumably I need a thermometer that does not contain any magnetic metal but have no idea where to turn. Does anyone know of one? They have to exist. Fahrenheit or celsius (preferably both) makes no difference to me.

Ruth Friedman

...Wouldn't this apply to any kind of thermometer you intend to use?

I've an induction cooktop, and I'm planning to get a candy thermometer.

A candy thermometer is fine if you are checking only the temperature of the liquid in a pan (and are using a straight-sided pan) but not for the internal temperature of food in the pan

Ruth Friedman

I need a digital probe thermometer that will not go berserk when I am cooking on my induction burner. I have a Taylor, a Polder and one from Thermoworks but the display on all of these fluctuates wildly over the induction. Presumably I need a thermometer that does not contain any magnetic metal but have no idea where to turn. Does anyone know of one? They have to exist. Fahrenheit or celsius (preferably both) makes no difference to me.

Unfortunately, you may have to switch to good old analog, liquid in glass or a laser jobby. The nature of thermocouples used in those digitals makes them perfect antennae to pick up your induction hob.

Sorry, but that's just how the physics shake out.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Unfortunately, you may have to switch to good old analog, liquid in glass or a laser jobby. The nature of thermocouples used in those digitals makes them perfect antennae to pick up your induction hob.

Sorry, but that's just how the physics shake out.

That is my fear but I don't think they make analog probes as opposed to one piece thermometers.

Ruth Friedman

...Wouldn't this apply to any kind of thermometer you intend to use?

I've an induction cooktop, and I'm planning to get a candy thermometer.

A candy thermometer is fine if you are checking only the temperature of the liquid in a pan (and are using a straight-sided pan) but not for the internal temperature of food in the pan

Thank you, Ruth. I hope you find a solution quickly.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

• 2 weeks later...
try an IR gun thermometer.  Fast, easy, and shouldn't be affected.  Downside is that they only read surface temperatures, but they're fine if your boiling down a syrup and the like.

How stupid of me! Not a probe but, as you say, it will check the surface temp. I just tried my IR gun as I have a pot on the induction and I had no problem. Thank you

Ruth Friedman

• 7 years later...

"---(Another disappointment, which goes for any cooktop I have looked at, none come with temperature probes for the pots -- it shouldn't be rocket science to integrate those with modern electronics I'd think :) ).---"

A temperature probe, either thermister electronics or thermal-couple device, all have wires connected to the main circuit board. 

Electromagnetic interference can distort the readings because wiring in the presence of magnetic field can generate spurious signals. An induction cook top generates a very strong magnetic field.

dcarch

I agree with dcarch.  I have a nice external thermometer with a probe whose cable is robust enough to be shut in the oven door with the probe inside, but it tends to scream if I'm using it near the induction hob.  It's not a major issue - I can always find a spot it doesn't object to - but you need to be aware of it.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

"---(Another disappointment, which goes for any cooktop I have looked at, none come with temperature probes for the pots -- it shouldn't be rocket science to integrate those with modern electronics I'd think :) ).---"

A temperature probe, either thermister electronics or thermal-couple device, all have wires connected to the main circuit board. 

Electromagnetic interference can distort the readings because wiring in the presence of magnetic field can generate spurious signals. An induction cook top generates a very strong magnetic field.

dcarch

I agree with dcarch.  I have a nice external thermometer with a probe whose cable is robust enough to be shut in the oven door with the probe inside, but it tends to scream if I'm using it near the induction hob.  It's not a major issue - I can always find a spot it doesn't object to - but you need to be aware of it.

Ah, that is something which I definitely had not considered. Though, using some kind of shielded cable should overcome most of the interference I'd think.

If only technology would develop as fast as our needs  :cool:

Ah, that is something which I definitely had not considered. Though, using some kind of shielded cable should overcome most of the interference I'd think.

If only technology would develop as fast as our needs  :cool:

Shielding may not be good enough when it is near over 1,500 watts of magnetic field. 

If you have built devices using electronic temperature controls, they always tell you to keep the probe wiring away from power lines for the same reason.

dcarch

I don't know about shielding, but they could probably design something like the balanced connectors used in audio. The design cancels out any electromagnetic interference.

That maybe possible since induction works on almost audio frequency (24K). I have done that (counter twisting the cables) in audio to cancel out cross talk. 

dcarch