• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing Flatiron Steak

moosnsqrl

Having enjoyed flatirons in restaurants, I've been pleased to find them at the grocery for the last couple of months. On a recent trip to California I intended to grill them in several locations ranging from Huntington Beach to Calistoga, but was never able to locate one - either in regular groceries or from (no less than 5!) butcher shops. :angry:

I know they were co-developed by the U of NE and somewhere in FL (Miami?), so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that we're kind of early adopters here but I am so accustomed to being able to find virtually anything in the way of food/drink on the left coast. I even entered into conversations with butchers at some of the shops, explaining what the cut is, where it comes from but they had never even heard of it, let alone knowing how to produce one. :shock:

I'm a little surprised because I see them on restaurant menus, so any idea why the retailers haven't picked up on it?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Having enjoyed flatirons in restaurants, I've been pleased to find them at the grocery for the last couple of months.  On a recent trip to California I intended to grill them in several locations ranging from Huntington Beach to Calistoga, but was never able to locate one - either in regular groceries or from (no less than 5!) butcher shops. :angry:

I know they were co-developed by the U of NE and somewhere in FL (Miami?), so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that we're kind of early adopters here but I am so accustomed to being able to find virtually anything in the way of food/drink on the left coast.  I even entered into conversations with butchers at some of the shops, explaining what the cut is, where it comes from but they had never even heard of it, let alone knowing how to produce one. :shock:

I'm a little surprised because I see them on restaurant menus, so any idea why the retailers haven't picked up on it?

Isn't the flatiron steak just a crosscut of tri-tip?

Having enjoyed flatirons in restaurants, I've been pleased to find them at the grocery for the last couple of months.  On a recent trip to California I intended to grill them in several locations ranging from Huntington Beach to Calistoga, but was never able to locate one - either in regular groceries or from (no less than 5!) butcher shops. :angry:

Hmmm.........I live in San Diego which is hardly the culinary capitol of CA. I've had no problem at all finding flatiron steaks. In fact our local butchers push it as an alternative to, and better choice than, flank steak. And, FWIW, Sysco distributes flatiron steaks either through their own system or through the small meat purveyors that partner with them. I'm surprised you had so much difficulty finding them, you shouldn't have because it's not that much of an unusual cut here on the Left Coast.

Hmmm.........I live in San Diego which is hardly the culinary capitol of CA. I've had no problem at all finding flatiron steaks.  In fact our local butchers push it as an alternative to, and better choice than, flank steak.  And, FWIW, Sysco distributes flatiron steaks either through their own system or through the small meat purveyors that partner with them.  I'm surprised you had so much difficulty finding them, you shouldn't have because it's not that much of an unusual cut here on the Left Coast.

Well, while that is frustrating I am at least relieved that my sense of balance vis-a-vis CA and food has been restored. I must have just been in all of the wrong places. But my friends all up and down the coast are grilling fools and they weren't familiar with them either, nor were the numerous butchers I chatted up. Oh well, I must've just been in the wrong "pockets."

An explanation of the cut can be found here.

Edited to fix quotes.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

How new is new? Merle Ellis mentions the Flatiron steak in his book Cutting Up in the Kitchen Published in 1975.

These steaks only recently appeared in our local markets and we're off the beaten track. I'm surprised that you couldn't find them.

I haven't bought any because that strip of gristle in the middle is so off putting.

I haven't bought any because that strip of gristle in the middle is so off putting.

Oh my god, Barbara, don't let that put you off :shock: It melts and lubricates the meat. I know it looks suspicious, but I've never had a tough or gristly. They've always been very tender. Slice against the grain as for flank steak.

Prather Ranch sells very tasty flatiron steaks, in strip form. The beef is certified organic, humanely raised, etc. This is some of the most pristine beef you can get. On the packaging, you'll even see information that tells you about the animal that the meat came from - and they don't mix meat from different animals in the same packaging.

Beef is pasture-raised (grass-fed) and finished on organic hay, organic barley and organic rice. The flatirons can be cooked in 5 minutes. Very juicy, very tasty. I stop by their location in the San Francisco Ferry Building every week to pick up a couple of pounds of this steak. It's the only steak I buy regularly from them, partly because of the flavor/cost ratio, partly because it is less well-known and therefore usually available.

By the way, if you want the best burger ever, buy some of their dry-aged ground beef. Again, they don't mix meat from different animals. Salt, pepper and a hot grill or pan, and you'll be in heaven!

I hope this restores your faith!

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

Prather Ranch sells very tasty flatiron steaks, in strip form. The beef is certified organic, humanely raised, etc. This is some of the most pristine beef you can get. On the packaging, you'll even see information that tells you about the animal that the meat came from - and they don't mix meat from different animals in the same packaging.

Beef is pasture-raised (grass-fed) and finished on organic hay, organic barley and organic rice. The flatirons can be cooked in 5 minutes. Very juicy, very tasty. I stop by their location in the San Francisco Ferry Building every week to pick up a couple of pounds of this steak. It's the only steak I buy regularly from them, partly because of the flavor/cost ratio, partly because it is less well-known and therefore usually available.

By the way, if you want the best burger ever, buy some of their dry-aged ground beef. Again, they don't mix meat from different animals. Salt, pepper and a hot grill or pan, and you'll be in heaven!

I hope this restores your faith!

Faith in CA restored - complete loss of faith in my usually effective 'nose' for finding food. I did not stop at the Ferry Plaza for once (Rancho Gordo's fault - I was racing to see the last 30 seconds of his demo at the Napa Chef's market) or would undoubtedly have tripped over the Prather version. I have had their meat before and it is wonderful. Ah well. If you had seen some of the places I looked, I promise you would have been surprised as well, though. They certainly seemed like they would/should have just about anything the heart, er, stomach, might desire.

M.F.K. Fisher

Isn't the flatiron steak just a crosscut of tri-tip?

From Googling flat iron steaks I found that it is Top Blade Chuck steak or Shoulder Top Blade steak. Flat iron comes from the top shoulder of the chuck. The connective tissue that normally runs down the top shoulder is removed leaving two flat iron steaks. Yes this is a new steak that was discovered by the University of Nebraska and the University of Florida. I have not had a lot of them but they taste great.

I can find them pretty regularly at our local Safeway, and I figured if we had them here, you all have had them for years! They're not one of the standard cuts that are always available, but these days they tend to be more available than not, and quite reasonably priced.

I just cut out the gristle in the middle.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

The only thing new about "Flatiron Steaks" is the name.

There has always (until recently) been 3 specific cuts of Beef acknowledged as so called "Butcher Cuts".

(1) Triangle Tip was first judged as a Barbecue Specialty in August 2003 at the Northwest Barbecue Contest officially after becoming popular in retail stores. It was first introduced in the USDA Boxed Beef Guide in 1965.

(2) Hanger Steak has always been very popular in Europe and especially in Chinese Restaurants in the States.

(3) Flatiron Steak cut from the top blade of boneless chuck. This cut we used to import from Argentine, Australia and New Zealand starting in the 1970's when Flank became more popular as a alternative beef choice at Chinese Restaurants. In Hong Kong it became very popular used for Satay and all Chinese dishes being merchandised as Tender Imported Beef.

We next began special ordering from Australia and New Zealand for the American Market beginning in Honolulu full containers where it was merchandised as "Thick Flank" since it was comparable in price to Boneless Beef (used for Ground Beef) it was very good value and welcomed at most Chinese Restaurants since there was always a shortage of "Hanger Steak" and Flank at reasonable prices.

It may still be imported and sold to that market. Another cut utilized was the "Chuck Tender" now being sold at many meat departments.

It interesting that previously under utilized cuts are becoming so popular to the publics benefit. We are learning that flavor and character are more important then tenderness in enjoying beef. My favorite Steak is still the Diaphragm called the "Romanian Tenderloin" in NYC for years until it became popular in Fajita's with a major increase in price.

Irwin

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

My favorite Steak is still the Diaphragm called the "Romanian Tenderloin" in NYC for years until it became popular in Fajita's with a major increase in price.

Irwin

First, thanks for all the info. Second, is the Diaphragm readily available? Under what moniker?

M.F.K. Fisher

My favorite Steak is still the Diaphragm called the "Romanian Tenderloin" in NYC for years until it became popular in Fajita's with a major increase in price.

Irwin

First, thanks for all the info. Second, is the Diaphragm readily available? Under what moniker?

It's generally called skirt steak except in Texas, where it's more often called fajita.