• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lunch & dinner suggestions in Essex and Somerset

Shmily

Hi..I am a new member and live in Essex County (West Orange) and spend time in Somerset County(The Hills). I love food, really good of its kind, be it simple or haute...I have had some difficulty finding great places locally and so usually go into New York City...However, I know that I must be missing some wonderful food...so please share with me places that take pride in making their own, are not overpriced for what they are and seem to care about their customers..I am looking both for lunch suggestions and for dinner suggestions.....thanks in advance... :biggrin:

Shmily,

Welcome to eGullet - my wife and I moved to West Orange a little over two years ago. There are some really great restaurants around here - Montclair has a wide variety offering different types of cuisine (French, Italian, Thai, Southern, Caribbean, Ethopian - the list goes on), and there are plenty of other good places in the other surrounding towns.

Is there any particular type of restaurant/cuisine you're looking for?

Jason

We had a beautiful dinner recently at Trattoria Fresca in Caldwell. Osteria Giotta in Montclair is EXCELLENT. Blu in Montclair is really great. I also love Lalezar in Montclair.

For lunch I like to go to Sweet Basil in West Orange. They have very nice salads and sandwiches.

Welcome to our neighborhood.

Shmily,

Welcome to eGullet - my wife and I moved to West Orange a little over two years ago.  There are some really great restaurants around here - Montclair has a wide variety offering different types of cuisine (French, Italian, Thai, Southern, Caribbean, Ethopian - the list goes on), and there are plenty of other good places in the other surrounding towns.

Is there any particular type of restaurant/cuisine you're looking for?

Jason

Hi Jason..I think American, Italian, French, healthy..I have enjoyed lunch at Lulu's in Livingston....I am delighted the non-smoking ban has been enacted.

Yes, there is lots of terriffic dining in Montclair! For more info go to Montclaircenter.com. You will find a section on dining with descriptions of many of our restaurants. There is also a downloadable restaurant guide with a complete listing of adresses and phone numbers of all of the restauants in downtown Montclair Center. It's a really convenient reference. Also- stay tuned- we are planning a restaurant week early next year!! :smile:

Edited by JoRic (log)

Yes, there is lots of terriffic dining in Montclair! For more info go to Montclaircenter.com. You will find a section on dining with descriptions of many of our restaurants. There is also a downloadable restaurant guide with a complete listing of adresses and phone numbers of all of the restauants in downtown Montclair Center. It's a really convenient reference. Also- stay tuned- we are planning a restaurant week early next year!!    :smile:

Great suggestion...I had not heard about that Web site...Will go there right away..thanks a lot... :biggrin:

More info on Opah Grille please. I don't think I've heard it mentioned here before.

Actually, it has: Opah Grille

And I've been there for lunch on several occassions and had fantastic experiences, most recently in March 2006.

Edited by jim07044 (log)

Montclair is the obvious choice: in addition to those named, try Table 8, Tuptim, Corso 98, Culinariane, Fascino and Aozora.

Caldwell is the sleeper dining out town: Caldwell Seafood, Bangkok Kitchen, Gastronomia, Forte, etc.

Please tell me more about Table 8...Thanks.. :smile:

Could people please comment specifically about Table 8 in Monclair and the Pluckemin Inn in Pluckemin...I am interested in your experiences there as well as the food quality...thanks... :biggrin:

Could people please comment specifically about Table 8 in Monclair and the Pluckemin Inn in Pluckemin...I am interested in your experiences there as well as the food quality...thanks... :biggrin:

Pluckemin Inn here

thanks a lot for that hint... :smile: