• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sour cherry tree full of almost ripe cherries...

dawnie2u

I have a sour cherry tree that is brimming with cherries that are almost ripe. I picked a quart today, and will be harvesting more every day. I need some ideas and/or recipes on how to use them. I am planning on making some cherry infused vinegar and cherry infused vodka. Any other ideas? Thanks! Dawn

"Reminds me of my of safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water." W C Fields

The best milkshake I ever had: vanilla ice cream, sour cherries, a little milk, a little sugar if you need it to cut the sour.

Awesome.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

cherry clafoutis

and

pickled cherries to have with pate or roast pork throughout the year

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

my favorite are sour cherry vareniki - ukrainian/russian dish, think polish pierogies but stuffed with a filling of sour cherries and a bit of sugar. Serve with sour cream and sugar....mmmmmmm

brandied or bourbon'd cherries.. both the fruit and the liquid are divine.

Absolutely. An especially nice find at the bottom of a sweet vanilla custard.

Also, consider drying them in a low oven for future use.

A sour cherry (fresh or dried) sauce with pork or venison is good.

Add the dried fruit and almonds (or hazelnuts, my favorite) to granola.

Include them in a riff on sweet and sour pork/chicken over rice.

I haven't tried it, but make popcorn balls (light caramel sauce) and add the dried fruit to them.

Brownies or fudge with sour cherries is awesome- include a bit of espresso.

Biscotti.

Lucky you!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

a savory sauce for pork made with good stock and cognac!

I second the pickled cherry reccomendation - they're awesome!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I, a couple of months ago, made some venison sausage with sage, fennel and dried cherries. The cherries were not the sour variety, and the sausages ended up being a bit sweet for our taste. I would next time use sour cherries!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a couple of pounds of sour cherries from my local farmer's market. They are very hard to find here (something about the trees being susceptible to blight). And very expensive.

The odd thing is that they were juicy to the point that they are swimming in liquid in their bags (and this is right at the market). They are organic and fresh and while all this vendor's other cherries were pristine these are slightly offputting with the amount of liquid.

According to the vendor/grower this is the way they are.

Is this normal for sour cherries?

I just purchased a couple of pounds of sour cherries from my local farmer's market. They are very hard to find here (something about the trees being susceptible to blight). And very expensive.

The odd thing is that they were juicy to the point that they are swimming in liquid in their bags (and this is right at the market). They are organic and fresh and while all this vendor's other cherries were pristine these are slightly offputting with the amount of liquid.

According to the vendor/grower this is the way they are.

Is this normal for sour cherries?

They are a lot softer than sweet cherries and susceptible to oozing juice, but only when mishandled. A little wetness is okay; a lot is not. They definitely shouldn't be "swimming".

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

This week I made sherbert from pie cherries: pint of pitted cherries, about 3/4 cup sugar (taste and add/subtract as needed) pureed in blender with a bare squeeze of lemon juice. Mixed with 3/4 cup light cream (leftover scalded with sugar and a little vanilla from an ice cream recipe earlier in the week which was too much for my ice cream maker) just before putting into the machine. Great right out of the machine; and still smooth two-days later out of the freezer.

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

My favorite sour cherry things: Cold sour cherry soup and sour cherry strudel, both of which I consider Hungarian or at least ate in Hungary. I don't have recipes, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

I am planning to make some sour cherry jam. Does anyone have experience with this? I've made lots of jam before, but tend to pick fruits high in natural pectin. I have read that cherries are not. Any advice/recipe for a pectinless sour cherry jam?

I wish I had access to fresh sour cherries....

I first sampled sour cherry soup in Debrecen, Hungary, and was amazed. The thought of soup + cherries sounded too strange to me (as if it should be a dessert), but I loved it.

Monterey Bay area

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up the last quart of sour cherries at a farmer's market this morning, intending to make a pie. I was hoping it would be close enough to the right amount. Alas, I see I should have about 1 1/2 to 2 quarts for a 9" pie pan.

I was thinking I could try to make a cherry cobbler or a cherry clafloutis, but I'd love to really highlight that great sour flavor.

I also thought I could mix them with some other fruit but wasn't sure which one. Apples seem like there would be textural problems. Perhaps strawberries?

What would you do in my shoes?

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

how about sour cherry turnovers, using puff pastry sheets? you get the same effect as a pie, but don't need as many cherries for the filling.

Great idea; I would try something like this as well to capture the best of the sour cherry flavor.

• Like 1

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"