• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sour cherry tree full of almost ripe cherries...

dawnie2u

• 4 months later...

Bumping since we're at the height of pie (sour) cherry season here in Philadelphia and environs, and they've been readily available at farmers' markets and the Reading Terminal Market.

So far I've made sour cherry sorbet and cherry cobbler. Maybe I'll try those cherry-vanilla milk shakes this weekend.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

The sour cherries I picked up at the market last weekend were small and had a lot of flavor. I made a summer pudding with them, plus red currants and blackberries. The cherries have a bit more skin than is good for the texture of the pudding, but the flavor was interesting.

Pitted and allowed to sit in sugar, they made a great topping for ice cream.

If I had a bunch more I would try making this syrup.

In general if there are a lot I pit and freeze some, and also put some in jars with bourbon or brandy to use and give as gifts in the winter.

I think no one directly stated the obvious: cherry pie. When I was a kid, we had a sweet cherry tree in the front yard and a sour cherry tree in the backyard. My mother made stunningly good pies. Lattice top.

Cherries are good in salads, both sweet and sour.

Vanilla ice cream studded with cherries. I've not tried this with sour cherries, but I might macerate them first.

Sour cherry compote to be put up for later use on ice cream, in hot tea, with blintzes.

If you brandy the cherries, leave the pits in and the stems on. The pits impart an almondy flavor that enhances the cherry and the stem is just plain cute.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Pit them and pickle them in 500g champagne vinegar, 500g sugar, and 350g water. (scale down the recipe to fit your application)

Pickled cherries are one my favs. Perfect with foie gras tourchon. :)

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA