• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moore Brothers takes on the Big Apple

Jeff L

Wow, this mornings Inquirer reports on Greg and David Moore's newest venture, 5400 square feet of space over 3 floors at 33 E. 20th street in Manhattan.

The place is outfit with a basement that has a childrens play area, temperature controlled (as the other locations) to be at a constant 56 degrees.

Second floor has a gourmet kitchen with a 40 seat tasting area. They plan to offer this space free to non profits and charity organizations for informational tastings.

EG is mentioned when 2 guys walk in to the empty store (one a big time wine importer with over 3,000 bottles in his personal cellar and a caterer) and are immediately impressed with Greg's knowledge, selection, temperature control and most importantly his relationships with the growers and their families.

As someone who has supported Moore Brothers since the early days at Triangle in Camden, let me be the first here in the PA forum to wish them success. It will be a tough market for them to crack with all the other wine shops, but then again, no one does it like they do.

Edited by Jeff L (log)

WOW. I didn't realize that the space was so huge. We were planning on visiting the store last week, but never made it.

While there are many wine stores in New York, very few--in fact, hardly any--have their entire inventory stored at the proper temperature. I can name only one off the top of my head.

I think they will be a welcome addition to the city. Good luck!

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

WOW.  I didn't realize that the space was so huge.  We were planning on visiting the store last week, but never made it. 

While there are many wine stores in New York, very few--in fact, hardly any--have their entire inventory stored at the proper temperature.  I can name only one off the top of my head. 

I think they will be a welcome addition to the city.  Good luck!

Not only is the entire inventory properly kept at 55-56 degrees, the whole transportation chain from vineyard to store is also properly refrigerated. As someone who was involved in the containerized freight industry in the past, I can tell you it is a very expensive undertaking but one that underlies Moore's commitment to excellence and proper storage.

I know of no stores in New Jersey that can make this claim although I am sure there must be one or two out there.

I think what is most appealing to their approach is the individual attention given to everyone, novice to expert. These people really know their wines. Just tell them what you are making for dinner and you will have a few excellent pairing suggestions within minutes.

Although thery are in a very competetive market, if they offer variey, quality with superior service they should do very well although it may take some time. It requires a year or more for most new ventures to make a profit.

Over a year ago when we were buying wine at the Pensauken store for our dinner at Shola's, the staff was wonderfully helpful.

I wish them well in their new venture.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I was in New York last weekend and didn't get the opportunity to offer my former employers my very best wishes on their new venture, even though it wasn't far from where I was staying. I remain completely confident that the level of customer service and product selection is up to their usual exacting standards and look forward to my first chance to stick my head in the new door ASAP. I might even plan a trip just to do that.

Go get 'em, y'all! New York is ready for what the rest of us have been enjoying for some time. Great customer service, passionate salesmanship and a wonderful and unique product selection.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Here's a link to the Inky article, The Moores Take on Manhattan.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Popped into the Manhattan Moore Bros over the weekend, and it is a fabulous space. Greg Moore was there pouring tastes of some very tasty wines, so got to chat with him about wine, the NY market, aspirations for the place and such. It is such a wonderful thing when the person selling you your wine can describe the geography and climate of the individual vineyards the grapes came from, and the acquaint you with the winemakers personalities, all from personal knowledge.

[On a more housekeeping note, I'd suggest that this thread really belongs on the NY board rather than here. MooreBros is a Philly thing, but this thread is about what they're doing in NYC. Feel free to edit this out if you move the thread.]

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

[On a more housekeeping note, I'd suggest that this thread really belongs on the NY board rather than here.  MooreBros is a Philly thing, but this thread is about what they're doing in NYC.  Feel free to edit this out if you move the thread.]

Actually I originally thought about posting this on the NY board but decided to post here as most people are familiar with them in Pennsauken. I have no problem if Holly or anyone else wants to move this over there