• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Would You Do?

RonC

Suppose (hypothetically, of course) that you were invited along with a few others to breakfast at a world-renownded French chef's home. You've known him for -- oh, let's say a year (hypothetically, of course) and share a common activity (let's say it's motorcycle riding). And let's say that you bake a decent loaf of bread (hypothetically, of course) -- I mean not the greatest sinced slided bread, of course :wink: -- but it's pretty good.

Do you take a couple of loafs with you? (hypothetically, of course)

Sidecar Ron

Yes, but clearly wrapped as a host-gift, not to be served at the meal, unless prior arrangements were made with the host.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

why not? (hypothetically) Chefs love it, when other people cook for them (at least the ones I know)

Cooking for chefs, even really big deal ones, is the easiest thing in the world. Just do what you know you do well, serve it, and don't make a big deal out of it. Most of the time, all of the time, pretty much, they'll be so glad that someone is cooking for them that they will make a huge deal out of it-even if it's just bread, or red beans and rice, or meat loaf. I hang around with a bunch of big deal types for a regularly occuring meal (red beans or something else simple every Monday night), one of them as often as possible :wink: , and they all dig not having to cook-though, almost invariably, they will jump in and help if you are cooking while they are there-it's a reflex.

I would serve the bread.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I'd leave the choice of serving the bread to the host, who has probably already planned the menu and prepared it.

That's why I suggest making it clearly a gift and not a contribution to the meal. Saves the host awkwardness if he's already gotten his choice of bread prepped and ready to go. It may be that the gift bread fits right in, but it may not work with the menu. Or the host may simply want to stash the bread for private munching and not have to share.

Same as bringing a bottle of wine. Thank you, and that lovely gift in no way complements this morning's menu so.... dont pressure the host into serving it, even by accident. Let the host be a host.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

My Emily Post following Grandmother would agree with Kouign. It would be considered rude to bring something which might alter the carefully laid plans of the host. On a personal note, I always go out of my way to make something especially lovely for dessert and I am always irritated when a guest brings a dessert to share. I know it's a nice gesture but I worked hard on something and want it to be the highlight of the meal and not have to compete with someone's sugar cookies or whatever they grabbed from the grocery so they wouldn't show up empty-handed.

I think that wrapping it and presenting it as a gift to the host is the appropriate thing to do.

I just returned from a lovely cruise with another French chef, Jacques Torres. I brought him a box of our chocolates as a gift.

He ended up doing a tasting with us and gave us compliments and ideas on how to fix a few issues he found (like too think of bottoms on our molded truffles). Plus we spent about an hour talking about the chocolate biz.

More than I could have ever expected!

Patrick Sikes

www.MyChocolateJournal.com

A new chocolate review community

PS I Love You Fine Chocolates

Thanks all for your comments to my "hypothetical" issue. Should I ever be in that situation, I know what I'll do. :wink:

Sidecar Ron

BTW -- He was once thought to have the best French restaurant in the US. :rolleyes:

Edited by RonC (log)

RonC,

are you located in nyc? i know a group of chefs who ride (not personally, just from hearing about it). it's funny 'cause i was cooking in nyc for a while and i probably ride a bigger bike than most of the young guys...and i'm a girl!

i hope you have a great breakfast. don't be intimidated, bring your gift, it will be appreciated...and ride safely!

RonC,

are you located in nyc?  i know a group of chefs who ride (not personally, just from hearing about it).  it's funny 'cause i was cooking in nyc for a while and i probably ride a bigger bike than most of the young guys...and i'm a girl!

i hope you have a great breakfast.  don't be intimidated, bring your gift, it will be appreciated...and ride safely!

Hey, girls who cook and ride big bikes is a great combination! :wink: Nope, not in NYC nor is the restaurant that Beard labeled as "the best French restaurant in the country" -- got ya thinkin'?

Sidecar Ron

definitely got me thinking...i don't think thomas keller rides...hmmmmm

i think eventually, you're going to have to clue me in!

a

He's retired, so maybe you're too young. Hmmmm hint - J.B.

Sidecar Ron

a

Sidecar Ron

You name dropper you.

But wow how totally cool is tha-at??!! :laugh:

I feel totally blessed when someone bakes for me.

Umm, didja hypothetically do it??? I mean hyperventilationally, of course :raz:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

a

Sidecar Ron

You name dropper you.

But wow how totally cool is tha-at??!! :laugh:

I feel totally blessed when someone bakes for me.

Umm, didja hypothetically do it???

Hypothetically, of course.