• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad salty eggs

hzrt8w

Origamicrane, those are some awesome eggs! I remember having one egg in the past and upon opening it, a red oil came seeping out. I was a little freaked out at first but upon tasting it, it was delicious.

I've been soaking my eggs in a supersaturated brine solution (meaning I put as much salt as I can in the brine until it can no longer dissolve), and I have another batch where I dipped the eggs in shaoxing wine and rolled them over in salt. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm wondering what lowering the salt solution in the brine will do to the end product. Will brining it in a lower salt solution for a longer time as opposed to brining it in a higher concentration for a shorter time give better results? I'll have to test this next time

Btw, did you boil your eggs at a simmer, a soft boil, or a rolling boil?

I believe that the egg white and yolk will reach an equilibrium with the salt concentration in the brine.

What I need to know is the solubility of salt in the egg white and egg yolk.

And what is the ideal salt concentration within the egg to produce a tasty salted egg.

I'm hoping that lowering the salt concentration will produce a less salty egg white.

As my first batch after 4 weeks brining, the egg white was too salty to eat.

At 3 weeks its was very good.

The solubility of salt in water @25C is 25.9g/ 100ml

So really you shouldn't need more then 259g of salt in a litre of water.

i'm going to test some eggs at 250g/l , 200g/l , 150g/l over 3 weeks and see if there is a noticeable difference between them.

Mine was a soft boil. 20 minutes will be the correct cooking time i believe.

just remeber to prick a hole into teh shell or you will end up with grey/green yolks.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"