• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

good restaurants near Vernon?

PicnicChef

I've got a little lake house near Vernon. I'm always cooking for friends up there, and, for all I've been there ten years, I've yet to find a great place to dine. Any suggestions?

chef-

friends who are from up there like:

harpoon bay on 94 in Warwick http://www.harpoonbay.com/

10 railroad ave also in warwick http://tenrailroad.com/

i like yesterdays on main street http://www.yesterdaysnet.com/

peasant on 23 in hamburg

restaurant latour has gotten very good reviews. i wanted to go there for my birthday last year but with a broken ankle johnnybird couldn't sit too well http://www.nj.com/dining/reviews_ledger.ssf?20286?20286

and finally gigi's folderol II in wettstown http://orangecountynyrestaurants.com/folderol.htm

personally i love the dogs that the DQ serves!!!

hope this helps - oh, and stay away from chumley's - it sucks big time

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Any suggestions?

Check with some locals about the Jolly Onion located on Pine Island in Warwick. I ate here years ago but spent much of the time running in and out of the place with my son who was a baby at the time. My parents love it.

mixed bag of reviews for Mohawk House in Sparta, but I've heard they made some radical changes (i.e. new menu and kitchen staff) and that things have made a turn for the better.

not as of two sundays ago and that's about 25 minutes from vernon. went to a private function and ate salad and fresh fruit because everything else really didn't look good or smelled horrid(is poached salmon supposed to smell?!)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Jolly Onion...not so much. We tried it once. Got a kick out of the wine...the little bottles you can buy on a plane with screwtops...not much else to say after that. It was about four years ago...

I've got a little lake house near Vernon. I'm always cooking for friends up there, and, for all I've been there ten years, I've yet to find a great place to dine. Any suggestions?

About 15 minutes from Vernon just outside of Warwick is the Iron Forge Inn, a food oasis in an area mostly devoid of good dining. New American creative cuisine, every dish is done with care. Web Site

About 15 minutes from Vernon just outside of Warwick is the Iron Forge Inn, a food oasis in an area mostly devoid of good dining. New American creative cuisine, every dish is done with care. Web Site

Wow and their menu looks great too... Menton is there any place like that out here in Northern Bergen Co area? YUM, and they feature Bobolink farm stuff. :wub:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Hey thats right around the corner from me....as far as these thing go in the boonies.

I wish they had some prices on the dinner menu though...now who do I know up here that would be worthy of such a meal?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

johnnybird and me????

perhaps, chef, we should take this into pm heaven and do some finagling to do a get together? or if not pm me and we could do something........

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hey thats right around the corner from me....as far as these thing go in the boonies.

I wish they had some prices on the dinner menu though...now who do I know up here that would be worthy of such a meal?

tracey

They also have a "tavern room" type place downstairs that is more casual. This place is awesome. Great location. Upstairs is like eating at someone's house . Went with my then 10 year old picky eater and when he said he didn't like anything on the menu, the chef made a plain roast chicken with plain mashed potatoes that my son proclaimed the best chicken he had ever had. That's service! And I got to eat really good food too! Family run and the chef is a CIA graduate I believe. Thanks for reminding me. It's time for another visit. ALso, not really near Vernon, but a short ride from Bergen or Warwick(or W. Milford, Tracey)...The Breezy Point Inn on Greenwood lake. Limited menu but some really good stuff, (Try the Breezy Burger for lunch) plus eating on the dock lakeside for lunch or dinner is a great way to spend the day!

Dana

Edited by Dana329 (log)

Okay...not this weekend (what? is everyone in all of Bergen County having a Bridal shower this weekend since we are catering nearly a dozen?), but next, I will try Iron Forge...Sounds like a light in a dark tunnel! I will report. Thanks for the replies!