• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: World Cup Viewing

Kobi

Hi all,

With the World Cup fast approaching, I was hoping some EGulleters could share any places that they know where one can watch the games with true fans. Not really looking for the ESPN Zone types, but more local places where less English is spoken than some (Spanish, French, etc) other language.

Any help, as always, much appreciated.

- KOBI

Nevada Smith on the Lower East Side. Went there for last cup, Italy-Mexico 8 am start. Place was packed with close to 200 by kick-off. They shade the windows so you had no idea what time it was. Pretty strange to have cocktails that early in the morning. Pastrami at katz's by noon and I napped from 3 to 6 in the afternoon. Don't think that'll be the problem cause if I'm not mistaken the games should be at 2pm and 8pm.

I'm looking for something similar but not exactly the same. Anyone know a place where 10-15 women in their 20s, 30s and 40s would feel comfortable? We're looking for a place with some excitement but perhaps not with the insanity of Nevada Smith's or some of the German bars.

The world cup comes with a good dose of insanity. I have a hard time thinking of a group that is in the world cup that won't be a wee bit mad watching the matches. I would recomend going early to the bar of your choice and getting in good wit the barkeep, tip them well in other words, so when the throngs come in if anyone acts like a assh&$*e they will be looking out for you. But i must say that i have seen a bunch of matches, and there is usually such a good energy in the room that if you just hoot and hollar for the right team you will be fine. The world cup brings out such a diverse crowd, that you will not be eclipsed by the hardcore fans, and will find someone who you can whinge about the fouls with, even if you don't understand offsides. Fiddlesticks on Greenwhich is a lovely place to settle back with a pint, and get caught up in the amazing, rollicking experiance.

Edited because I am a dolt.

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I think it also depends what match you want to go watch. In my opinion, it's a lot more fun to watch the game in a bar/restaurant that is frequented by locals of one of the teams that is playing (the drawback is however, that you basically have to "choose sides"). Are there any specific teams or games that you are looking to watch?

Arley Sasson

Go to to Bohemian Beer Garden to watch the Czech games (just not the US one). La Nacional for the Spanish games. Anywhere on 32nd Street for the Korea games - they'll most likely be showing them all live if the last World Cup is any indication. For England - hit Floyd New York in Brooklyn Heights and bring in takeaway British food from the Atlantic Chip Shop next door. No idea where the US fans are gonna be, though it's likely Nathan Hale's. (Us sad ones who couldn't make it to Deutschland, that is.) For Brasil I went to Made in Brazil out in LIC last time - may hit up the Ironbound in Newark this year. If I can think of anymore I'll post them...