• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Chinese Vegetarian Restaurant in NYC?

beayang

There is a great vegetarian Chinese restaurant in LA's San Gabriel Valley called Happy Family. I am looking for the New York equivalent. The menu should be completely vegetarian, not just a Chinese joint with veg options. Any suggestions?

Vegetarian Dim Sum on Pell & Mott is 100% Vegetarian and the menu is enormous. I have been going for three years and almost every dish I've had has been a triumph. Of special note is the gluten with 3 kinds of mushrooms and their pork spare ribs w/ Peiking sauce which are made w/ sweet potatoes and have the addictive quality of crack cocaine.

Vegetarian Dim Sum on Pell & Mott is 100% Vegetarian and the menu is enormous.  I have been going for three years and almost every dish I've had has been a triumph.  Of special note is the gluten with 3 kinds of mushrooms and their pork spare ribs w/ Peiking sauce which are made w/ sweet potatoes and have the addictive quality of crack cocaine.

We've been to this one and it was TERRIBLE! We wouldn't go back if you paid us. The appetizer "pork" ribs were so bad, my SO wouldn't eat them. I forget what else we had, but I took most of it home for a terrible lunch the next day. I think I had some kind of "chicken" and SO had some kind of "beef". So bad, we still laugh about it.

On a MUCH MUCH better note, there is a place kind of near Bleecker street, near the Biography book store (kind of near the Magnolia bakery) diagnolly across the street, a corner Chinese restaurant that has vegetarian General Tso's chicken that is so amazing! Absolutely delish. I think they have a vegetarian "duck" too. But it's a regular chinese place, so any non-veggies would be happy too.

But I just love that veggie general tso's chicken. It's crisp and the sauce is so similar. Only about $10 too.

Sorry I can't remember the name, I'll try to contact someone who lives in the area. But we stand in front of the Magnolia bakery, walk towards the right, diagnolly cross the street, it's a corner chinese place.

Any more suggestions? But that place on Pell was terrible.

Edited by vloglady (log)

Vegetarian Dim Sum on Pell & Mott is 100% Vegetarian and the menu is enormous.  I have been going for three years and almost every dish I've had has been a triumph.  Of special note is the gluten with 3 kinds of mushrooms and their pork spare ribs w/ Peiking sauce which are made w/ sweet potatoes and have the addictive quality of crack cocaine.

We've been to this one and it was TERRIBLE! We wouldn't go back if you paid us. The appetizer "pork" ribs were so bad, my SO wouldn't eat them. I forget what else we had, but I took most of it home for a terrible lunch the next day. I think I had some kind of "chicken" and SO had some kind of "beef". So bad, we still laugh about it.

On a MUCH MUCH better note, there is a place kind of near Bleecker street, near the Biography book store (kind of near the Magnolia bakery) diagnolly across the street, a corner Chinese restaurant that has vegetarian General Tso's chicken that is so amazing! Absolutely delish. I think they have a vegetarian "duck" too. But it's a regular chinese place, so any non-veggies would be happy too.

But I just love that veggie general tso's chicken. It's crisp and the sauce is so similar. Only about $10 too.

Sorry I can't remember the name, I'll try to contact someone who lives in the area. But we stand in front of the Magnolia bakery, walk towards the right, diagnolly cross the street, it's a corner chinese place.

Any more suggestions? But that place on Pell was terrible.

I believe the original posting on this thread is asking for a completely vegetarian restaurant.

Not strictly Chinese -- more general Asian -- but you might enjoy Zen Palate.

http://www.zenpalate.com/

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went to Vegetarian Dim Sum on Tuesday and had a mixed experience. Some dishes were very good and others just so-so. It is a huge menu.

It's interesting because they use a gluten(?) meat substitute in some dishes and the texture reminded me of fish paste, slightly rubbery. I've had battered mushrooms in place of meat, which texture-wise I think is more successful in stir- fry dishes.

Next on my list are Bodai and Zen Palate. Vloglady, is the place you recommended called MaMa Buddha? I like their non-veg dishes, so I'll have to try the veg options sometime.

If you're ever in LA, Happy Family is definitely worth a visit.