• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you double dip?

Sony

Hi everyone!

Been seeing a lot of Food Network chefs double-dipping their chicken (take out buttermilk-soaked or brined chicken, let the excess drip off, dip into seasoned flour, into seasoned buttermilk, final coating of flour, let set and deep fry).

I've always been a single dipper, and think my fried chicken is decent (I shallow fry in cast iron). However, just thought I'd ask:

-Does double dipping make a tastier crust?

-Is deep frying necessary for double-dipped crust to set properly?

-Do you think the double dipping process is worth it?

Looking over the Fried Chicken Cook-off thread, it doesn't seem like the majority double-dips...but I'm willing to try it in pursuit of fabulous fried chicken! Let me know what you think.....my chicken is nicely soaking in a buttermilk brine as we speak!

Double dipped is the bomb. It makes such a crackling, crunchy crust. Which is, of course, the best part of fried chicken. I've also found that a shorter frying time and then a little time in oven seems to increase the crunch factor.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Many years ago I worked in KFC. They double dipped the extra crispy chicken. Also, it was deep fried in an open vat as opposed to pressure fried like the original recipe.

I think double dipping is great but might work better with deep frying than pan frying.

I double dip - and while I agree it makes a crunchy crust - I think the larger issue is it makes a thicker crust (obviously).

I prefer deep frying - I think the risk of burning the coating is less.

Made some last night. Yummy.

Thanks everyone!

The next time I make fried chicken, I will try the double dip and deep fry (unless advised that it can work with pan-frying).

Since I was cooking for guests, I figured I go with the familiar and will save the experiment for myself (or people who can tolerate take-out if things go wrong :biggrin: )

For a thorough discussion and comparison of fried chicken recipes, including the benefits of double-dipping, you should also check out eGullet's Cook-off V: Fried Chicken. Since these cook-offs are never closed, you can weigh in with your own thoughts and photos, too! Bump that thread back up, now that summer's a coming-in...

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I just checked my recipes and I do both! With our very, very favorite Shelly's Fried Chicken, I single dip. With Tyler Florence's Cold Fried Chicken, I double dip. That actually makes sense to me - because of what I like from each kind. With hot fried chicken I love the thin crackly fried skin mostly, whereas with cold fried chicken I like the fried coating. Does that make any sense at all :wacko: ?