• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Road Trip V

Daniel,

I love, LOVE your road trips!

Will you be doing I95 around the Richmond, Va/DC area?

Thanks for the compliment...

I think so.. My co-pilot who is not here right now does all the trip planning.. She has really out done herself on this one.. She has a binder type thing for each state.. There are just tons of information in each one.. If time and work allows me, I have a reservation at the Inn at Little Washington Sunday night for dinner. And we will be driving home from there Monday Morning.. I want to try to hit College Park for a Marathon Deli Gyro too.. So I am sure we are going that way..

Its about that time again.. We have rented a convertible and will be heading from Key West to Manhattan.. We have never been there and are obviously very excited..

We'd like to hear what stops can't be missed between Key West and Manhattan...we'll be travelling mostly on US1 during the day making stops at various recommended places. However we will be hitting I95 from time to time as well. Love to hear your recommendations! A big help so far on this trip is HollyEats.com.  

Besides the five days, we have a reservation at the end of our trip at the Inn at Little Washington.. Other then that, we have no plan.. Would love to hear about best cities to sleep in also..

Thanks for your help as always..

Edit to add :

Trip 1 Vegas to Manhattan

Trip Deux LV TO NYC

Road Trip III LV TO NYC

Road Trip IV Seattle to Mexico TO NYC

Unofficially trip 5 NY TO Maine and Back

A bit of clarification please. Why was your excellent New England adventure designated a mere "Unofficial Trip" as opposed to a genuine, official Road Trip?

Please much love to New England.. It was soley on the title.. I posted the other four trips on Adventures in Eating.. Thats the only reason.. Since my trip was only in New England, I posted on the appropriate board.. So yes it was a road trip.. Era, I hope, era, that explains it.. :biggrin:

Thank you Dan, Angela, Kouign Aman,Suzy everyone.. I get the feeling you will be seeing some grouper photos really soon.. I dont know too much about the fish.. So I am excited to learn..

By the way here is a photos of those maps..

gallery_15057_2785_100778.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

You guys are right.. Stone Crabs are a must...

Holly,

I checked out your website and was really looking forward to the guy shoveling the oysters..  Unfortunately they close in April.. I just missed them..  ...

Maybe if, Superman style, you drove real, real fast in reverse from Key West you could make it back to April.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

No relation between the Louis Lunches in Gainesville and New Haven.  But the one in Gainesville dates back to the 20's and is a quirky, Twin Peaksy place worth a stop.

And there is a Louie's Lunch in Ithaca NY as well - dating back to 1918. Must be a thing about guys named Louis or Louie and college campuses.

BTW to Daniel - don't forget that stone crab season ends on May 15. Robyn

Louis' Lunch.. A little box of a place serving meat patties cook in a special sideways broiler..

gallery_15057_1509_816162.jpg

Meat patties are placed 9 at time into a metal rack similar to a fish cooker and then clamped down.. Placed sideways in these ancient broiler, they are seasoned with salt and pepper and are served medium rare on white toast..

gallery_15057_1509_779238.jpg

We were happy to see that the old women from the Hamburger Special was manning the broiler.. There was a long line and she was banging these burgers out at a fevered pace.. Here fingers and hands were so swollen with arthritis, that she was using her hands like a huge mit.. Palming onions while slicing them, using all her fingers as a single claw to grab things.. She was a real champ and had been doing this her whole life.. She worked with the skill of a craftsman..

Here is the final product.. There are just a few choices one has when dressing their burger.. You can get onion, tomato, and a cheese spread.. No ketchup, no mustard. The burger is really good.. Its a meat sandwich essentially. Served medium rare the meat was juicy and perfectly done.. This was great burger, not the best, but certainly great.. I really liked the cheese spread they used as well.

gallery_15057_1509_103299.jpg

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but don't miss The Fish House in Key Largo. Great, fresh fish. If you have time, stop in at Pennekamp and take the snorkel trip out to the reefs. Its fantastic.

Oh, Cafe Matarano in Ft. Lauderdale is amazing italian food too.

Does anyone know how the fires will affect our route..

Wildfires have forced the closure of large parts of I-95 in central Florida on and off for the last several days. When will you be leaving Key West? Robyn

I will be taking the red eye out of Vegas tonight.. I will be transferring in Miami and landing in Key West tomorrow morning at 920 am..

Let me know a day or so before you're ready to leave Key West - and I'll let you know what things look like. Robyn

If time and work allows me, I have a reservation at the Inn at Little Washington Sunday night for dinner. And we will be driving home from there Monday Morning..  I want to try to hit College Park for a Marathon Deli Gyro too.

Marathon Deli gyros! I lived on those for an entire summer (washed down with carrot cake or baklava). I was raving about them just the other day. The spanakopita was always good, too (or at least it was 20 years ago), but definitely get the gyros.

Is the place still staffed by a red-headed Greek family? If so, it is probably the next generation by now. Dang, I’m gonna hafta take my own mini road trip.

I hear the Inn at Little Washington is nice, too :wink:

Bruce

P.S. We are having our first big rain/thunderstorm of the season tonight. Feels great - is washing all of the spring pollen out of the air. So perhaps you won't have any problems at all.

This is just kind of normal - dry spring - then the beginnings of the rainy season - then the rainy season. We had bad drought/horrible fires in 1998-1999 - but things have been pretty normal since then (dry spring - then the rains come). Robyn

• 2 weeks later...