• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event - 2006 Heartland Gathering

tammylc

Oh, and I'm pleased to have the Heartland Gathering as my excuse to open up the "party size" jar of foie gras pate that's been in my cupboard since last fall.  It was a gift, and I simply haven't had an event that required *that much* pate in the intervening few months.

I promise this will be better than the sea urchin pate I inflicted upon all of you last year!

On a related note, I happen to have an unopened bottle of Absinthe (the real northern wormwood variety) sitting around that I was thinking of bringing. Rockandroller gave me the idea at the same time she told me about this gathering to start with. Too bad she can't make it.

Anyway, would that be an appropriate thing to bring with me?

On a related note, I happen to have an unopened bottle of Absinthe (the real northern wormwood variety) sitting around that I was thinking of bringing.  Rockandroller gave me the idea at the same time she told me about this gathering to start with.  Too bad she can't make it.

Entirely appropriate. At the first Heatland Gathering in Grand Rapids, Matthew had a fabulous cocktail making setup. We've lost his bartending charms, so we stuck to wine last year, but other contributions are certainly welcome!

I know my husband will be excited about the Absinthe.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Oh, and I'm pleased to have the Heartland Gathering as my excuse to open up the "party size" jar of foie gras pate that's been in my cupboard since last fall.  It was a gift, and I simply haven't had an event that required *that much* pate in the intervening few months.

I promise this will be better than the sea urchin pate I inflicted upon all of you last year!

On a related note, I happen to have an unopened bottle of Absinthe (the real northern wormwood variety) sitting around that I was thinking of bringing. Rockandroller gave me the idea at the same time she told me about this gathering to start with. Too bad she can't make it.

Oh, yes, please do. My never having tried absinthe, August 5 is now officially designated as "I learned something today" day.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Pretty sure my dish will be some sort of charcuterie.

=R=

:wub:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My never having tried absinthe, August 5 is now officially designated as "I learned something today" day.

Does it count as "learning" if you can't remember anything afterward? :laugh:

I can bring a soda syphon and some CO2 cartridges if anyone wants to play with fizzy stuff. And I have a shaker and part of a bottle of Regan's #6 orange bitters. Time to order more....

Absinthe, charcuterie, and carbonation........... I have a feeling this meal is mandatory to the well being of the universe.

"if god didn't want us to eat animals, they wouldn't have been made out of meat."

New numbers:

Longone Culinary Archive Tour, Friday, August 4, 4-5pm

16 confirmed, 2 tentative

Dinner at Bella Ciao Trattoria, Friday, August 4, 7-9pm

19 confirmed, 2 tentative

Shopping at Zingerman's, Friday, August 4, 9-10pm

18 confirmed, 1 tentative

Farmer's Market Excursion, Saturday, August 5, 10 am

22 confirmed, 4 tentative

Wine Tasting, Saturday, August 5, 1:30-3pm

29 confirmed, 4+ tentative

Heartland Feast, Saturday, August 5, 7 pm

30 confirmed, 1+ tentative

Sunday Brunch, Sunday, August 6, 10:30am

17 confirmed, 4 tentative

Coffee Roaster Visit, Sunday, August 6, noonish

12 confirmed, 6 tentative

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I can't believe how quickly the gathering is approaching! I'm happy to be a sous chef and dishwasher. Since I don't know anyone I'm too intimidated to cook, but I'd be happy to bake if we need anything of the dessert persuasion. And since I'm local please call on me for anything where help is needed - planning, driving, whatever.

""On a related note, I happen to have an unopened bottle of Absinthe (the real northern wormwood variety) sitting around that I was thinking of bringing. "" :wub:

Joyce and I have decided to stay the two nights at The Courtyard rather than drive the 45 mile trip back to Lambertville. :wacko:

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

Tammy,

You seem to have thought of almost everything, but . . . [you could feel that coming, couldn't your?] will there be a tattoo artist present so we can all get some food-related ink? I mean, c'mon, anyone can buy a t-shirt, but nothing says "I care" like a Heartland, eG tat!

:laugh::cool::shock:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Um, hi all. Is it too late for me to join the gig? I have really been out of the loop with a newborn. Sadly, I am out of the professional kitchen and back in my old "non-profit office gig" in Ann Arbor. I would love to hang out some.

Edited by terrarich (log)

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

Um, hi all.  Is it too late for me to join the gig?  I have really been out of the loop with a newborn.  Sadly, I am out of the profesinal kitchen and back in my old "non-profit office gig" in Ann Arbor.  I would love to hang out some.

Not too late at all. You're required to bring pictures of the new one, though. :cool: Just fill out the survey and we'll see you in a few weeks. Also let us know if you'd like to cook, sous, etc. Glad you can be there!

Edited by Alex (log)

Hey, I don't see any pork belly/bacon on the menu.  Are we tring to stay regional with preparations and ingredients?

Most of the cooks will be making dishes based on what's current at the Farmers' Market and what's best at the butcher and the fishmonger; the preparation may or may not be regional. As part of his charcuterie, Ron will be bringing some homemade bacon, which I will gratefully use in my corn dish. Are you offering to prepare some pork belly? :wub:

I have been in contact with tammylc, and details are being flushed out. Have no fear all dietary restrictions can be handled. Right now it is shaping up to be about five courses and wine at your discretion. Depending on everyone's agreed upon expenses/limits anything can change.

On a related note, July 26 We will be hosting a six course tasting menu and wine dinner. Cost is 75.00.

Heirloom Tomato Caprese

Sweetcorn Soup

Scallop,Turnip and Arugula

Stuffed Quail with Beets

Dry Aged Beef & Parsnips

Peach and Blueberry Buckle

"if god didn't want us to eat animals, they wouldn't have been made out of meat."

As Destroit indicated, he and I are working on finalizing details for Friday's dinner, and one of us will post details once they are confirmed.

Question for people planning to attend the dinner - would a 6 pm start work okay for you? I'm worried that we wouldn't be done by 9 if we started at 7, and if we want to hit Zingerman's Deli for shopping on Friday night, we really need to be done by 9. I was worried about starting too early because of people who might be arriving later, but from a quick look at the survey results, it appears that nearly everyone who has RSVPd for the dinner is also attending the culinary archive tour.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

As Destroit indicated, he and I are working on finalizing details for Friday's dinner, and one of us will post details once they are confirmed.

Question for people planning to attend the dinner - would a 6 pm start work okay for you?  I'm worried that we wouldn't be done by 9 if we started at 7, and if we want to hit Zingerman's Deli for shopping on Friday night, we really need to be done by 9.  I was worried about starting too early because of people who might be arriving later, but from a quick look at the survey results, it appears that nearly everyone who has RSVPd for the dinner is also attending the culinary archive tour. 

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

A 6 pm start time should work for me. I'll be leaving the Chicago area by about 10 am CT at the absolute latest. Even if the drive takes 5 hours (which it shouldn't), that would land me in A2 by 4 pm ET. That may put the Archive tour in peril for me, but a 6pm dinner should be no problem.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

6 is fine. I'll just have to be careful about eating too much for lunch at Exotic Cuisine & Bakeries.

Sorry for coming to the game so late, but I would like to come on Saturday starting with the wine tasting and continuing through all of the events on Sunday. I just finished filling out the survey.

And since no one has offered yet to bring bread, please allow me to offer my services to bake some fresh French batards and honey whole wheat boules for the dinner on Saturday night. I saw the numbers on dinner and it was 30(+1 tentative) + me, so I will make enough bread for 35 people.

I'm excited to meet a number of the local eGulleters that I've seen posting here.

Tammylc -- should I bring baskets for the bread, too? Or would you have that covered already?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I will make enough bread for 35 people.

To be clear, enough for 35 eGullet Society members equals enough for 175 normal people.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)