• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event - 2006 Heartland Gathering

tammylc

Argh.  Unfortunately, we just got smacked with a very expensive, unexpected medical bill (isn't insurance GREAT?), so I'm going to have to cut out all extraneous expenses.  This includes cancelling my trip to TN to do charity work that I had scheduled for 2 weeks from now and not going to the eG get-together in Ann Arbor.

I hope all of you have great fun and will post some detailed reviews/recaps for those of us who can't make it.  Have a great time!

Very sorry you won't be able to make it!

I'm sure there will be a detailed play by play...

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Welcome to eGullet, san.  Hope you can make it.  Although you must drive a lot faster than me if you're getting from Troy to Ann Arbor in 30 minutes - I think of it as a 45 minute to 1 hour drive.

Far worse than that right now: M-14 and I-696 are both no-go zones unless you're driving very late at night. There's no good way to get from Ann Arbor to Troy until the construction ends (says the guy who took 2.5 hours to get from Ann Arbor to Royal Oak at rush hour). Best option is probably 59 to 23.

Edited by jmsaul (log)

Actually they're not that bad on the weekends (as long as they're open) - but forget it during rush hour. It took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to get home from Bloomfield Hills on Friday. Another option is to take Telegraph south th 96 to M14, assuming M14 is open.

I am finally getting a better idea of what my schedule will be over that weekend. I have my firm outing Saturday evening, so I am out for the big dinner. But I'm planning on doing the farmer's market outing, and perhaps the Zingerman's wine thing - depending on timing. If something materializes for Friday night dinner I'm definitely interested in that.

Tammy let me know if you need any help with logistics for events other than Saturday night. I saw a post upthread about a ride for Fat Guy - I can do an airport run if needed.

Candace

The latest:

tammylc & Eric

Alex

daniellewilley (& Michael?)

Sam Iam & Joyce

torakris

ronnie_suburban

cbarre02 & guest

Elrushbo

NancyH & Bob

Palladion

Shannon_Elise

edsel

Fat Guy

slbunge (tentative)

CaliPoutine (& friends?)

VickiA2

destroit

HeatherM

Meez (maybe)

jmsaul & L

maggiethecat

Flocko (maybe)

Mr. & Mrs. Devilkitty (tentative)

sweintraub

annarborfoodie (part-time)

aznsailorboi

ulterior epicure's spirit

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm definitely going! I made my reservation at the Best Western. I'm so excited! I'm coming by myself..I just hope I won't feel uncomfortable coz I dont really know anybody in person, I dunno haha I guess, I'm just being a dork. but I'm looking forward to all these events. I'm signing up for all of saturday's and sunday's events. Friday I'm not sure what time I will make it there, because I'm leaving after work aorund 3ish. but keep me posted on what the agendas are.

Timmy

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

I'm definitely going! I made my reservation at the Best Western. I'm so excited! I'm coming by myself..I just hope I won't feel uncomfortable coz I dont really know anybody in person, I dunno haha I guess, I'm just being a dork. but I'm looking forward to all these events. I'm signing up for all of saturday's and sunday's events. Friday I'm not sure what time I will make it there, because I'm leaving after work aorund 3ish. but keep me posted on what the agendas are.

Timmy

Glad you can be there. Actually, most of us have never met in person, except perhaps at last year's Gathering. It's an easy group to feel comfortable with, though.

We're on Eastern Time, so when you leave it'll be 4ish here. I'm sure I don't have to tell you about Chicago/Gary traffic. :wacko: Then there are all the lane closures on I-94 in Michigan. :angry: But good times await...

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

well im still on standby if i get that friday off....so im crossing my fingers :unsure: . and i will be leaving early to avoid all that unecesssary traffic.

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Hey all, it's formal RSVP time! With so many different events happening throughout the weekend, we need to start collecting more detailed information about who will be attending what, so that we can plan accordingly/ make restaurant arrangements, etc.

It's seems awfully inefficient to try to collect this information here in the forum, so I've set up a web form for people to fill out. Let me know if you have any questions or problems with the survey.

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing all of you in August!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Cool survey, I have just filled it out.

I have also made reservations for Shannon_Elise and I at the Best Western for 2 nights.

Will we be able to make changes to the survey later?

For example, Since I don't drink alcohol I don't really plan on going to the wine tasting but if everyone is going to be doing it I don't want to be left out.... :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I have also made reservations for Shannon_Elise and I at the Best Western for 2 nights.

For example, Since I don't drink alcohol I don't really plan on going to the wine tasting but if everyone is going to be doing it I don't want to be left out.... :biggrin:

Yes, you can make changes later. Or, more precisely, you can fill out the survey again, and I'll only take into account your later response.

I should note that the wine tasting will be held here at Great Oak, the same place where we'll be doing the cooking and eating, etc. So if you don't drink, you can still hang out with all of us lushes who do. But you don't need to sign up or pay - that's just if you want to imbibe.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Oh, and one more note on the survey - it asks for contact information in case we need to get in touch with you for whatever reason. But only the organizing team (myself, Alex and daniellewiley) can see that information - it won't be generally distributed or anything like that.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Hello Heartland! I have been reading your posts for too long that the time finally came to join. I am looking forward to meeting many of you at the Heartland gathering. My little one is only 6 months so I will not be in attendence for the full day. However, I will definitely make the wine portion of the event as a not-so-veiled attempt to sneak some time with my husband. I'll see you there!

Yes, you can make changes later. Or, more precisely, you can fill out the survey again, and I'll only take into account your later response.

I should note that the wine tasting will be held here at Great Oak, the same place where we'll be doing the cooking and eating, etc. So if you don't drink, you can still hang out with all of us lushes who do. But you don't need to sign up or pay - that's just if you want to imbibe.

Som how are the surveys going?

So how are the surveys going?

Well, let's see... Of the people on Alex's last list I've got specific RSVP info from:

tammylc & Eric

Alex

daniellewilley (& Michael?)

torakris

NancyH & Bob

Shannon_Elise

destroit

Fat Guy

sweintraub

edsel

aznsailorboi

Mr. & Mrs. Devilkitty (tentative)

VickiA2

And a couple people not on the list:

LainerX

Ruthie Jewell

Maggi (a friend of mine, not on eGullet)

Nancy (ditto)

I have yet to hear from:

Sam Iam & Joyce

ronnie_suburban

cbarre02 & guest

Elrushbo

Palladion

slbunge (tentative)

CaliPoutine (& friends?)

HeatherM

Meez (maybe)

jmsaul & L

maggiethecat

Flocko (maybe)

annarborfoodie (part-time)

ulterior epicure's spirit

So if you're reading this on you're on the "yet to hear from list" please speak up soon! In particular, I need to know how many people are attending the wine tasting, so I can tell Ric his budget and he can start getting wines - we've only got about 4 weeks to go!

Other planning news will go in my next post.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'm pleased to announce that our own Destroit has offered to "throw together a tasting menu" for us at Bella Ciao on Friday night. Thanks, Destroit - that sounds very cool, and we'd love to take you up on that offer.

People who are planning to attend the Friday night - particularly anyone who's on a budget - please PM me and let me know what your price limits might be, so we can give Destroit some guidance on what kind of menu to put together. He noted in his comment that "Yes, I do take requests."

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

And while I'm at it, one more bit of planning related talk. (On a Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend, so it will probably get lost, but what the heck...)

We've decided to structure the menu as we did last year, by looking for volunteers to take charge of a course. If you're in charge of a course, it'll be up to you (and anyone who volunteers to help out) to check out the market offerings, grab ingredients and execute that course. This sounds more daunting than it is - you can be as complicated or simple as you'd like. There will be lots of people on hand to chop and stir and assemble, so you're by no means on your own.

Please post if you'd like to volunteer for a particular course/dish. Last year we had hors d'ouevres, soup, salad, fish, meat, and dessert, IIRC. This year would have a pasta course as well or instead, or two meat courses and no fish, or whatever strikes your fancy.

If you'd like to help as a sous chef, please speak up about that too, either offering to help a particular person, or just in general.

Not very interested in cooking, or can't get there til close to dinner time? That's okay, because we need cleaners and dishwashers too. We have a Hobart dishwasher and a professional-style stainless steel sink, which makes clean up pretty easy, but many hands make light work!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Id like to do a salad course or a fish course.  I really enjoyed that fish last year and since I dont eat red meat, it was especially good.   

Hopefully, the fish course wont be deleted this year.

Best way to make sure there's a fish course is to volunteer to organize it, which it looks like you have! I'll put you down for the fish. Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'll do something with our wonderful Michigan corn.

And if the blueberries are out, I can organize a blueberry cobbler.

Edited by Alex (log)

In the survey, I asked about having a cheese tasting as a part of the wine tasting, and Tammy suggested that instead, I put together a cheese course for the dinner. So, thats what I'm going to do. I'm hoping to concentrate on american artisinal cheese, since if I remember right, Zingermans has a good selection of them.

What do people tend to like as accompaniments?

In the survey, I asked about having a cheese tasting as a part of the wine tasting, and Tammy suggested that instead, I put together a cheese course for the dinner.  So, thats what I'm going to do.  I'm hoping to concentrate on american artisinal cheese, since if I remember right, Zingermans has a good selection of them.

What do people tend to like as accompaniments?

I'll bring a jar of my fig jam to go with your cheese tray. Fruits, crackers, chutney's, nuts etc are what I usually think of with cheese tastings.

Okay, here's how the menu is shaping up:

Hors d'ouevres: ronnie_suburban, tammlyc

Salad: torakris

Fish: CaliPoutine

Side: Alex (corn)

Cheese: sweintraub

Dessert: Alex (blueberry cobbler)

We could use a few more people to volunteer, so if you're interested please speak up. Feel free to double up - last year we ended up with 3 salads and at least two desserts. I'll take a meat or poultry course if no one else wants to, but I'll be busy being all coordinator-y, so I'm happy to give it up and just pitch in as necessary if someone else wants it.

Now seems like a good time to repost some details of the space:

Basically, the Great Oak kitchen is a souped-up home kitchen. There's a 6 burner gas stove and two electric ovens. The dishwasher is a Hobart restaurant style sanitizer. There's a 2-compartment dishwashing sink, plus a regular 2 bowl homestyle sink. Just one regular size refrigerator. Because we're always cooking in teams, there's lots and lots of counter space.

Between what's in the common house and what I own, we've got 3 stand mixers, 2 or 3 food processors, 1 blender. There are some pretty good knives in the common house, although they'll no doubt need to be sharpened. And I have my own knives too.

There's a pantry stocked with spices, staples, etc. Anything we're going to use in quantity we should buy ourselves, but if we need bits of this or that from the pantry, that's fine, and we can just make a small donation to the meals program to cover replacement costs if necessary.

There's an abundant fresh herb garden right outside the kitchen door.

Our serviceware is plain white Corelle. We have roughly 80 pieces each of 10 inch plates, 8 inch plates, and dessert plates. We have the same number of cereal/soup bowls and then a smaller, shallow dessert bowl.

Then there are larger bowls and platters etc, for family style service.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40