• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's in the markets in France - May

What’s in the markets in May

The following are in full season in May (the underlined ones are the major items): mackerel, St Pierre, merlu, lamb, veal, cow cheese, goat cheese, camembert AOC, asparagus, broad beans, petit pois, small artichokes, radishes, purslane, salicorne, mousseron, strawberries and rhubarb, I’m relying principally on the Almanach du Gastronomie by Armelle de Scitivaux (Bottin Goumand, 1998, 133 FF) since my Regal hasn’t yet arrived.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 3 weeks later...

This week, I saw the year's first Noirmoutier potatoes from Bonnotte (apparently they're the best). I steamed them as Clotilde's Chocolate & Zuccini suggests and they were super with a touch of butter and chopped chives.

I also had camembert AOC but am waiting for cherries to drop a bit in price. For some reason the celery bottoms are strange now; must be too much or too little rain.

John Talbott

John, I rcently bought a book on line, "Market Day in Provence"by Michele de La Pradelle(who died in 2004) She was director od D'Etudes at Ecole des Hautes en Sciences sociales and author of Paris Luxe.

I started to read it last night and I thought it would be about the markets in general but this is a social study of only the market in Capentras. It's been translated from the French title, "Les vendredis de Capentras: faire son marché

in Provenceou ailliers."

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

John, I rcently bought a book on line, "Market Day in Provence"by Michele de La Pradelle(who died in 2004) She was director od D'Etudes at Ecole des Hautes en Sciences sociales and author of Paris Luxe.

I started to read it last night and I thought it would be about the markets in general but this is a social study of only the market in Capentras. It's been translated from the French title, "Les vendredis de Capentras: faire son marché

in Provenceou ailliers."

Yes, we discussed it a bit here but everything's now on this merged thread. Happy reading.

John Talbott

Some photos from my Market, Marché St. Antoine in Lyon.

gallery_15176_15_157409.jpg

Interesting tidbit of information, yesterday while researching the different species of chives, I learned that the name civet as in 'civet de lièvre' comes from the use of ciboulle in the original recipe.

gallery_15176_15_103134.jpg

I bought 200 grams of these just to see what they tasted like - very nice - they stayed moist and flavorful with a good browning in butter, unlike some new potatoes I know, but I would not buy these every day. The price is just too high.

gallery_15176_15_34883.jpg

We're getting a lot of asparagus right now.

What's in the bistrots and cafes this month?

Where I'm eating, there's lots of asparagus, tomatoes, artichokes (one huge one was served as an amuse bouche today at Ribouldingue), early potatoes (Noirmoutier), strawberries and early cherries.

John Talbott

The price is just too high.

But you get a lot of them in a kilo & they are delicious. I love being able to tell my English friends that I put rattes in my potato salad.