• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO... Herdez Salsa Verde in Manhattan.

LilianNY

I've been on a salsa verde kick and want to get a few cans. I know they have it at Mexgrocer online but don't have enough for an order so if anyone knows where I can get some in Manhattan, pref the uws, I would appreciate it!

Not exactly Upper West Side, but I would suggest you try Tehuitzingo Deli on 695 10th Avenue (between 47th and 48th). Call in advance to make sure: (212) 397-5956. I personally am not the biggest Herdez fan, but I am pretty sure they carry it.

Arley Sasson

Not exactly Upper West Side, but I would suggest you try Tehuitzingo Deli on 695 10th Avenue (between 47th and 48th). Call in advance to make sure: (212) 397-5956. I personally am not the biggest Herdez fan, but I am pretty sure they carry it.

Does it need to be added that you should be sure to stop in the back for some tacos, tortas, and/or sopes before you leave?

Does it need to be added that you should be sure to stop in the back for some tacos, tortas, and/or sopes before you leave?

Amen! Important to refuel before heading back to the UWS. Not sure if the salsa verde they serve with their tacos, etc in the back is fresh or not, but if it is, maybe they will be willing to sell you some as well.

Arley Sasson

I agree that Herdez is the best of the packaged brands. But, as others have said, it's pretty easy to make your own. You do have to have access to tomatillos, though.

Here's a fairly typical recipe.

Salsa Verde

1 tsp or so cooking oil (just enough to cover botton of saucepan) or melted lard

6 or so whole tomatillos, paper skins removed

jalapeños, or other chile peppers, to desired "pica," stems removed

chicken broth just barely to cover

Put the oil into a saucepan. Then add the tomatillos and chiles, and enough chicken broth to barely cover. Bring to boil and cook just till tomatillos are soft (not too long, don't want them "mushy").

Put tomatillos and peppers (do not discard cooking liquid) into blender or food processor along with:

2 small cloves garlic

1 tsp salt

1/4 cup chopped onion

"handful" cilantro

Blend in food processor very well; most people prefer a smooth salsa verde. Add cooking liquid to reach desired "sauce" consistancy...it should be fairly liquid, but flavorful and not "watered-down" tasting, so use your own judgment.

There are variations of this -- like roasting everything, tomatillos, peppers, onions, garlic, etc., instead of boiling, etc., and using different kinds of chiles, serranos, etc., but this is the quickest, easiest, most basic and typical way that the average cook, who's just trying to get dinner on the table, makes this popular salsa (it's a must for chilaquiles, for example).

If you don't have good chicken broth on hand, most Mexican cooks use water and a Mexican brand of powdered chicken broth.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I recently bought a jar of Herdez salsa at Whole Foods in Union Square. Was pleasantly surprised that they carried it. It wasn't salsa verde, but you might want to check there.

Edited by daisy17 (log)

thanks so much for the recipe.  I've never tried making it w the chicken broth and with the heating of the ingredients so that's probably what i did wrong! Also, I added lime juice.

You don't really need to add any lime, or lemon or other acid. The tomatillos are tangy enough. But you do need to cook them -- stewing (as in the recipe above is most common) or grilling or smoking or roasting over an open wood fire (which probably tastes best and is worth the extra trouble if you're making it for a special occasion), or something.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.