• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NE Dining with Concord New Hampshire as a Base

Jaymes

I'm going to be spending much of the summer in Concord NH. I will have access to a car, and am interested in seeing and getting to know the area. Would like recommendations as to places to eat, and anything else that will help me to enjoy my visit and understand what makes New England "special."

In particular, would like recommendations for restaurants, diners, etc., with a strong sense of place and history. And any other information about the history of New England's food traditions will be helpful.

As I say, I will have my car and am perfectly happy to drive for several hours if your recommendations require.

Thanks in advance....

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Concord doesn't have much of a food scene. I've heard good things about a place called 55 Degrees, and the Capital Grille will do in a pinch. There are more interesting restaurants in Manchester, Nashua and Portsmouth--if you like diners, the Red Arrow in Manchester is a classic. The Puritan Back Room, also in Manchester, is nothing to look at, but is a local institution (every politician dines there during the NH Primary) with good steaks and ice cream. Also, the restaurant at the Canterbury Shaker Village reopens this May--the food there has always been wonderful.

New England "cuisine" tends to be plain, but there are some creative chefs doing interesting things at Michael Timothy's in Nashua, Baldwin's on Elm in Manchester and Lindbergh's Crossing in Portsmouth.

Let me know if you have specific interests.

Thanks so very much to those of you that have responded. I promise I'll try them all.

WHS -- My 'specific interests' are to see the countryside, get to know a few of the cities and towns (at least superficially), and learn something of the local traditions, history and culture, both food and otherwise.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

WHS -- My 'specific interests' are to see the countryside, get to know a few of the cities and towns (at least superficially), and learn something of the local traditions, history and culture, both food and otherwise.

Being based in Concord, you'll have easy access to many areas. There's no way to cover everything here, but within an hour's drive, I highly recommend:

A stay at Notchland Inn up in the White Mountains. The inn was built by one of the original settlers of Crawford Notch and the present owners serve wonderful 5 course dinners using local ingredients. A drive from there up through Bethlehem and Littleton will give you a taste of "above the notches". Littleton has a great local bookstore too.

The Connecticut river towns are beautiful and classic. Walpole is where Burdick Chocolates are made--stop for lunch at their cafe. There is a b&b called Home Hill Inn in Plainfield that is very special--Maxfield Parrish painted sets for the local town theater here. The Saint-Gaudens gardens in Cornish are one of the most beautiful places in the US. Further up is Dartmouth College in Hanover--it doesn't get much more Norman Rockwellish than this. There's a soda fountain on Main St that looks like it's out of the 50's.

The Monadnock region has the second most climbed mountain in the world--Mt. Monadnock. Peterborough was the inspiration for Thornton Wilder's "Our Town"--try Aqua Bistro by the river. Drive through towns like Fitzwilliam and Hancock (the inn has good food) and visit the farmers' market held in the old horse stalls behind the Hancock Congregational Church .

This is all just an hour or so away--once you start exploring further afield, you will be able to experience fried clams in Essex MA, and lobster rolls at Red's in Wiscasset ME!

Thanks for that terrific post. I am going to be staying at my daughter's house and 'dogsitting' for a month. It'll be just the two of us....a bouncy golden retriever and a less-bouncy me. I envision visiting all of these places and will dutifully report back at every step.

Where exactly in Essex MA should I try those fried clams?

Where exactly in Essex MA should I try those fried clams?

There is some debate in the New England forum about the best fried clam--though the consensus seems to be leaning toward the Clam Box in Ipswich. Woodmans in Essex is where the fried clam was born, and my suggestion is to do a taste test and judge for yourself. Force yourself.

When it comes to fried seafood I have to admit that I do love the usual suspects (Woodman's etc), but mainly for the location and the experience....with the food being low on the list.

Usually it is a pity how huge amount of pristine seafood are mistreated with lots of batter and a deep fryer......it hurts to think what could be done with those delicacies.

I mostly stick to fried fish in those places....these dishes seem to come out better for my taste. And NEVER buy lobster.......they overboil them into red rubber.

When I crave fried mollusks I would rather have 6 perfect fried oysters at B&G in Boston, than a pound of the stuff in one of the places on the beach.

That said I am open for any suggestions for places on the beach that will prove me wrong. Nothing better than a day at the beach and a relaxed dinner out there after.

Georg

When it comes to fried seafood I have to admit that I do love the usual suspects (Woodman's etc), but mainly for the location and the experience....with the food being low on the list.

Usually it is a pity how huge amount of pristine seafood are mistreated with lots of batter and  a deep fryer......it hurts to think what could be done with those delicacies.

I mostly stick to fried fish in those places....these dishes seem to come out better for my taste. And NEVER buy lobster.......they overboil them into red rubber.

When I crave fried mollusks I would rather have 6 perfect fried oysters at B&G in Boston, than a pound of the stuff in one of the places on the beach.

That said I am open for any suggestions for places on the beach that will prove me wrong. Nothing better than a day at the beach and a relaxed dinner out there after.

Georg

I'm not a huge fan of battered and breaded fried seafood myself. We had some terrific grilled clams with garlic butter at Summer Shack the other night. The steamers were good too.

• 2 months later...

So I'm just wrapping up my first stint in New England.

Thoughts so far....

First, this place is gorgeous. I think I'm in love with New Hampshire. The people I've met are pretty basic and down-to-earth here in New Hampshire. But so far, most everyone has been friendly and fun. A few stinkers, sure, but hey...

Can't get over the number of lakes and ponds and rivers and streams. Know it's been raining a lot, and that undoubtedly has filled the lakes to their beautiful brims, and caused the rivers and streams to rush merrily past with even more urgency and sparkle. Still, New England lives up to its billing. The houses are as charming as a Dickens village, the foliage is lush and green, the streets meander through quaint, picturesque, historic towns and hamlets.

I've only been here this time for a little over two weeks, so haven't done much.

My daughter and I did get down to New York for the weekend of the BBQ thing, about which I've written elsewhere. That was the undisputed highlight of the visit so far.

But also, I've managed to do a little sightseeing, and eat a meal or two.

I did make it to Company C, whose flagship store is in Concord. I was not familiar with this company but it turns out that they are primarily manufacturers of textiles...rugs, draperies, upholstery fabrics and the like and they market primarily to the trade...designers, manufacturers of furniture, etc. This is their only retail store, and it's stocked with items such as various pieces of furniture and other objects of home decor, only to show off their textiles. (Rancho, even saw a lone cocucha there...about the size of your smaller one, for $599.)

As far as the food goes....

Found a little fish market in downtown Concord -- Ocean Tide Seafood. They sell take-out prepared seafood -- dinners, rolls, and the like -- as well as fresh fish. I bought some crab cakes, and some scallops and other seafood. Came home and ate the crab cakes for lunch, and made some delicious bouillabaisse for dinner. Definitely recommend this place, and I'll be returning often, I suspect, when I'm back for my 1-month stay later in the summer.

And another winner... I was hungry for Italian so in the local supermarket, saw a pretty chubby cashier and got into her line. As I was paying for my few items, I said, "I'm really in the mood for Italian food...do you know of any good little Italian restaurants in Concord?" As she began to answer, the young, thin bag girl piped up: "Oh, yes! There's an Olive Garden right down the street and it's so good. It's my favorite!"

The cashier immediately stopped talking. She looked kind of intimidated by the bouncy and opinionated bagger. But I was undaunted. Suspecting a kindred spirit, I looked directly at the cashier and narrowing my eyes said, "Hummmmm...well, yes. That's all well and good, but I was hoping for something smaller, and locally owned...not a chain."

The cashier brightened and said, "I know just the place. Milano's. I'll draw you a map."

And that's how I found the wonderful Milano's. I've been there three times. I tried the lasagna, which I didn't like and don't recommend, but that's fine, since I can get good Italian anywhere, and right now, I'm really in it for the seafood. The next two nights I had the broiled scallop dinner, and man is it good. You get at least a dozen tender big sea scallops, which have been lightly dusted with seasonings and some sort of crumbly, crusty bread topping, a generous portion of rice pilaf, and a bowl of very good (not overdressed) cole slaw, for $13. Washed down with a mug of Killian's Red on tap, it was such a good dinner that I went back the next night. There's a small ice cream shop directly next door, so this place has become my new fave. I'm heading back there this evening as well, before I leave (in the morning) to drive back to Missouri.

And then there's the "Mexican" experience.

Sigh.

Craving a plate of comfort food from home, I have been asking around about Mexican restaurants. I know, I know -- I should know. But with the influx of Mexican workers all over the country, Mexican food has taken a huge leap in quality over the past few years, and I thought there was a chance.

Somebody recommended a restaurant called Las Piñatas up in Laconia.

I really wanted to drive through Lake Country anyway, and there were such raves about this place.... "The owners are from Mexico City," "a Boston restaurant critic said it's the best in New England," etc.

So up I went.

The lake country was worth the drive. Absolutely gorgeous. But the food...well...

The salsas were horrible. Even when I asked for one that had a little more heat, it was still bland and awful. The guacamole was the worst I've ever tasted. It was as though if you wanted to save money on the avocados, you took one and put it in the food processor with some water or something to thin it out, and added a little chile powder for flavor and heat. Then you cut up some tomatoes and onions into pretty big chunks, and tossed them with your avocado dressing. Ghastly. Didn't even resemble guacamole.

I was surprised to see mole listed among the standard gringo offerings (like piles of ever-higher nachos), and I love mole, so I ordered it. The waitress asked, "Beef or chicken?" Now, I'm not saying there's no such thing as beef mole, but I don't think it's common. At least I've never had it, in my recollection. I looked a little puzzled. The waitress said, "The mole is flat enchiladas, and you get two...would you like one of each?"

Sure.

And so this plate arrived. On it were decent, but not great, refried beans, pretty good Mexican rice (not tomatoey at all, obviously a pilaf, small flecks of seasonings, a few green peas), and something else taking up half the plate. I couldn't tell what it was because it was completely covered with a white cheese. I looked up at the waitress, puzzled...."What is this? I think you've brought me the wrong thing...I ordered the mole."

"Oh that's mole," she said. "We cover it with jack cheese."

What I got was basically two small corn tortillas laid side by side, onto each of which a sort of stew had been ladled. One was a beef stew, the other chicken. I'll say that it was shredded meats stewed in a mole sauce, but I'm being generous. And then that entire section of the plate was absolutely, literally, covered in jack cheese. Why on earth would one put in the work required for a true mole, and then completely mask the flavor with cheese?

If I'm being fair, it was kind of tasty. I can even see ordering it again if by some miracle I wind up back at that place. But mole? I don't know.

And then for dessert, a flan. It was okay, but not the dense, rich flan I personally prefer.

My daughter worked in Hillsboro, so I also spent a little time there.

We had an absolutely delicious dinner at a small Italian restaurant right smack dab (do y'all yankees ever talk like that?) in the middle of downtown Hillsboro....Nonni's. I had veal in lemon sauce, which was so good I am going to make the drive back over there just to have it again.

Don't know if Hillsboro or environs figure in anyone else's plans, but I highly recommend that restaurant and that dish.

Although, oddly, they served a side of pasta with marinara and cheese. That didn't go with the lemon sauce at all. And despite the fact that pasta marinara is one of my favorite things, I had only the one bite required to confirm my suspicion that the flavors were horrible together, and eschewed the remainder. Next time (and there will be a next time), I'm going to ask for some sort of plain pasta on the side. Perhaps just egg noodles tossed with a little butter or something. Perfect to sop up all that yummy lemon sauce.

So, summing up....

New Hampshire, love it! Live free or die!

Company C, fabulous!

Cheers, sports bar and restaurant in Concord, my kids' favorite hangout, pretty good food and great atmosphere, especially for young people

Ocean Tide Seafood, terrific!

Milano's, wonderful but don't get the lasagna!

Las Piñatas....well....the scenery was worth it. But especially at $40, nearly three times what I'm used to paying for a Mexican dinner, the food was decidedly not.

Nonni's, great restaurant. Get the lemon veal. Ask for a side of plain noodles.

I'll be back mid-July through mid-August, and will head out for more road trips. I plan to take each and every recommendation and suggestion.

So, thanks, y'all.

Well, shame on you for going to a Mexican restaurant in New Hampshire! On our way back from Crawford Notch today, we stopped by Arnie's in East Concord--they have great BBQ and home-made ice cream. The pulled pork sandwich was very good, and they offer hot and smoky versions of BBQ sauce. Try it when you return.

Well, shame on you for going to a Mexican restaurant in New Hampshire!  On our way back from Crawford Notch today, we stopped by Arnie's in East Concord--they have great BBQ and home-made ice cream.  The pulled pork sandwich was very good, and they offer hot and smoky versions of BBQ sauce.  Try it when you return.

I won't make the "Mexican" mistake again. Stupid of me, really, wasn't it? When I spend so much time in Mexico and the border states.

But you're sure about this BBQ thing, right? I mean....New England - BBQ? More of a connection than New England - Mexican?

But you're sure about this BBQ thing, right?  I mean....New England - BBQ?  More of a connection than New England - Mexican?

Yeah, the more I thought about it, I more I wondered if any NH BBQ could hold a candle to what you can get...anyway, here's the website for Arnie's Place:

http://www.arniesplace.com/index.html

You could always go there for a hamburger, and feast on their ice cream. It's worth a trip for atmosphere alone.

Maine Restauranteurs Featured today in SustainableFoodNews.com

Maine has become a destination for food savvy travelers who are in touch with the more complex array of Maine restaurants and foods than its iconic images of lobster shacks and blueberry pickers portray.

Credit for this transformation goes to chefs, restaurateurs, growers, producers and foragers whose creative interactions are forging a new Maine cuisine, new markets and a new image.

Sam Hayward - Fore Street

Rob Evans - Hugos

Melissa Kelly - Primo

Josh Potocki - OneFiftyEight

... and others.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Maine Restauranteurs Featured today in SustainableFoodNews.com
Maine has become a destination for food savvy travelers who are in touch with the more complex array of Maine restaurants and foods than its iconic images of lobster shacks and blueberry pickers portray.

Credit for this transformation goes to chefs, restaurateurs, growers, producers and foragers whose creative interactions are forging a new Maine cuisine, new markets and a new image.

Sam Hayward - Fore Street

Rob Evans - Hugos

Melissa Kelly - Primo

Josh Potocki - OneFiftyEight

... and others.

I wonder if I could talk you into including in which Maine cities these restaurants are located.

Thanks.

It would be a pleasure. See websites below:

Fore Street Restaurant - Portland

Hugos - Portland

Primo Restaurant - Rockland

Josh P is in the kitchen at Bar Lola, 100 Congress Street. A copy of the menu was posted at the register at One Fifty Ate (158 Pickett Street, South Portland) which looked really good...

Consider these choices: Morel Custard with Pea Puree; Pan Seared Asparagus with Lavender Syrup; Cucumbers with Feta, Dill and Roast Lamb; Braised Pork with Grit Cake and Sweet and Sour Cabbage.

The menu is broken down into parts: small, medium, salad and large. You’re meant to have a four course dinner. The portions are tapas size. It sounds like a lot of food, but no plate is bigger than about 4 inches around.

See HERE for further discussion of Bar Lola (from May) and a comprehensive look at Portland dining from Mr. John Golden at MaineToday.com

...scroll further down for some spirited comments by readers...

I would hardly call a man who has brought the new Uffa! up from scratch with his own bare hands an idiot.

...and:

I will say that the only other pizza I will pay money for is at Flatbread. I've probably eaten over 10,000 pizzas in my life so that's a compliment to them.

...here's a charming nugget:

For a New Yorker who presumably knows everything, you ask an awful lot of questions.

Gawd, I love this town! :cool:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Well, shame on you for going to a Mexican restaurant in New Hampshire!  On our way back from Crawford Notch today, we stopped by Arnie's in East Concord--they have great BBQ and home-made ice cream.  The pulled pork sandwich was very good, and they offer hot and smoky versions of BBQ sauce.  Try it when you return.
I won't make the "Mexican" mistake again. Stupid of me, really, wasn't it? When I spend so much time in Mexico and the border states.

But you're sure about this BBQ thing, right? I mean....New England - BBQ? More of a connection than New England - Mexican?

We're having a heat wave. A tropical heat wave. The temperature's rising, it's damn surprising -- to me anyway.

Yep folks, it's hot way up here in New Hampshire. Even hotter than hell Texas. What's worse is that at least in Texas we're all smart enough to have air-conditioning. Up here, it seems, few folks do, so we're all roasting away like basted chickens on a Yankee spit.

And today, to escape the heat, decided to spend the afternoon hangin' w' Capt'n Jack down at the local cinema.

And what should I spy on my route back home but Arnie's Place. Remembering this recommendation (and also not wishing to get home before the sun set), I decided to stop in and give it a go.

First - a word about "hot" in New England. Thus far, it's been my (admittedly limited) experience that when it comes to the food, "hot" ain't. "Hot" Mexican food isn't even lukewarm. "Hot" Thai bears no resemblance to even "medium" elsewhere.

And the "hot" barbeque sauce at Arnie's has about the heat quotient of catsup. Okay, so maybe a little hotter than catsup, but not much.

(Now this isn't meant as a criticism. Not at all. It's more for informational purposes. If you are reading this thread and you like your food spicy, you'd best be bringing along a bottle of some sort of U-Heat-M, because these folks just don't. But that doesn't mean the food isn't good. I've had some really terrific meals up here and I'm just getting started. It's more a warning to those of you that like it hot to come prepared.)

Back to Arnie's. First off, the place is really cute. Pleasant atmosphere, red & white tile floors, small tables, eat in or outside. Ya gotta love it and I did.

As far as the food goes, I stood there a long time carefully perusing the menu. They say they've got "BBQ" and, wisely, that doesn't mean brisket. Brisket is very difficult to do well and Arnie's doesn't even try. Smoking pork butt is much easier, and that's one of Arnie's several claims to fame. And that's what I had. Pulled pork sandwich with a side of potato salad, and an Arnie's private label root beer.

I'm no expert on pulled pork, but I thought it was really tasty. Of the three sauce options (hot, sweet, smoky), I started out with the hot. I really dislike "syrup-style" BBQ sauce, so didn't even sample the sweet. The "hot" was not only not hot, it wasn't particularly flavorful, either. So I settled in with the smoky, and thought it was very good.

The potato salad is clearly home-made, with large chunks of unpeeled new potatoes. Not a lot of flavor, but not bad at all. I added some salt and pepper and asked for some extra chopped onions, which I added to the salad. I also added onions to the sandwich. When I'm in the Carolinas, I like that vinegary cole slaw instead of the onions, but Arnie's cole slaw is sweet and creamy (they told me; I didn't try it) and although I like that kind fine, don't think it's so good as a topping for pork sandwiches.

Arnie's also has pork ribs (which they announce as 'falling off the bone' and I can only hope that they're kidding and they haven't really overcooked the rib meat into mushy, textureless oblivion), chicken, and "Texas hot links." I asked, and they are indeed getting their hot links from Austin.

Summing up: I like this place. My sandwich was very good, the atmosphere was retro-burger-joint pleasant, the service was brisk, efficient, and what passes up here for friendly.

They say that they make their own ice cream, and folks around me were clearly enjoying it. I was too full, and didn't partake this time, but I'll definitely be back.

A winner for my first full day back in New Hampshire. Thanks WHS.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Sorry I missed this thread the first time around - I grew up in Plymouth NH and still go back to visit my folks.

If you want to get back to the Lakes Region, Meredith is a nice town to visit. George's Diner is good for diner food, and Lago is a nice upscale Italian place with a good view of the lake.

While you're in that neck of the woods, Rattlesnake Mountain is not to be missed. It is my very favorite hike in terms of bang-for-the-buck; an easy, half-hour hike that leads to a wonderful view.

If you want a snack after your hike, you're not too far away from the original location of The Common Man in Ashland, NH. The upstairs bar is very congenial and has great bar food. The Common Man has become a very successful chain in NH, but the original definitely is the best.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Sorry I missed this thread the first time around - I grew up in Plymouth NH and still go back to visit my folks.

Do you or anyone else know anything about Portsmouth? Other than the obvious, which is that it's just about as cute as it can be. We've driven over there each time I've visited Concord, and know we'll be going back.

Are there any lunch places right in downtown Portsmouth that any one of you would recommend? We park and then stroll around and when noon comes along, we stand there looking at each other like, "anyone know where to go to grab a bite?" It'd be great if we did.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Do you or anyone else know anything about Portsmouth? Other than the obvious, which is that it's just about as cute as it can be. We've driven over there each time I've visited Concord, and know we'll be going back.

Are there any lunch places right in downtown Portsmouth that any one of you would recommend? We park and then stroll around and when noon comes along, we stand there looking at each other like, "anyone know where to go to grab a bite?" It'd be great if we did.

If you go over the bridge to Kittery, right smack dab in the middle of outlet mall hell is a really good clam shack/lobster roll place called Bob's. http://www.bobsclamhut.com/ It's famous, been around since before the malls. Jaymes, glad you liked Arnies. We just got back from dinner in Peterborough at Pearl restaurant & oyster bar. It was spectacular and if you get over to P'bo for the Players or Monadnock Music or McDowell Colony open studio day, make sure you have dinner there. Opens at 5. Note: they don't take reservations except for parties of 6 or more.

Edited by WHS (log)

If you go over the bridge to Kittery, right smack dab in the middle of outlet mall hell is a really good clam shack/lobster roll place called Bob's. http://www.bobsclamhut.com/ It's famous, been around since before the malls. Jaymes, glad you liked Arnies. We just got back from dinner in Peterborough at Pearl restaurant & oyster bar. It was spectacular and if you get over to P'bo for the Players or Monadnock Music or McDowell Colony open studio day, make sure you have dinner there. Opens at 5. Note: they don't take reservations except for parties of 6 or more.

In Portsmouth, there's also the Oar House which has a deck overlooking the harbor: http://www.portsmouthnh.com/oarhouse/index.html

I have to add a VERY STRONG WARNING that if any of you are passing through and try Milano's, which I have recommended, I do NOT recommend the "Italian" food. Last night I had a huge craving for good ol' American red-sauce Italian, so got their spaghetti & meatballs to go. I thought it was just awful. Small meatballs that I'm certain they're buying frozen in a bag, and the sauce had such little flavor. Thought about throwing the whole thing out, but instead pulled out the meatballs and made a sandwich, and then whipped up a quick red sauce to go with it.

The scallops, however, are still wonderful. I've had them several times now, and they never disappoint.

Lots of people seem to be sitting around the place enjoying their pizza, but I've never tried that. I don't recommend the lasagna, though, nor the spaghetti & meatballs.

If you go, stick to the seafood.