• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costa Mesa Dining

lucylou95816

I'm glad you enjoyed it!  Was the escargot served with a basil pistou in a light tomato broth?  I think that's the last preparation I had from them a few months ago.  Were there any other highlights from the meal? We're eating there Friday night as a matter of fact.

I believe the escargot was served that way. I didn't order it, it was just passed around and there were tomatoes in in. Very tasty, with lots of garlic too. I had the New York Steak with portabella "frites" The steak was very tasty the portabella "frites" had promise, but they were somewhat cold, and we also ordered the regular frites which were good. My friend had the Berkshire Pork Chop which I had a taste of, and it was very very good. It came with grilled brussel sprouts I believe, which she said was good. For dessert, I had the crossiant chocolate bread pudding, which was okay, my friend had the creme brulee that was very good. The cheese plate also had some very good cheeses on it as well. Overall, a great dinner, despite the "okay" review on some of the items. I was not disappointed at all.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm a little late for this question......

but when I used to travel out that way on a regular basis, say 6 or 7 years ago, I used to eat at The Golden Truffle every time I was in the area.

No one mentioned this restaurant.

is it still decent?

It's still there in the same exact spot and, I believe, run by the same chef. Golden Truffle is an old-school institution but not normally on my radar. The location leaves a lot to be desired (off Newport Blvd., next to a coffee shop and Black Flys store). There is no view to speak of other than the hustle and bustle of one of the busiest intersections in the city. I've never heard anybody speak poorly about Golden Truffle but I've never had anybody tell me that I simply must go and try out the newest thing the chef is doing. I would expect old-school French food circa 1975 - 1985.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

By the way, The Patina Group's newest OC restaurant, Leatherby's Cafe Rouge, has been getting great reviews from fellow foodie buddies of mine in the area. We still have to get over there but with our status at Pinot, it's tough to pull away. On other semi-related news, Florent, the old chef from Pinot (he was recently replaced by a young upstart) is opening a new restaurant at South Coast Plaza in the old Troquet location. That surely will be a must-try for us. He's a great chef and I'm a big fan.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

If I recall correctly Miss Irene at the LA times did a very favorable review a few weeks back.

I didn't know Troquet was officially gone...the fall for the Goodell's has been quite steep.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

If I recall correctly Miss Irene at the LA times did a very favorable review a few weeks back.

I didn't know Troquet was officially gone...the fall for the Goodell's has been quite steep.

There was a favorable 3-star review on Cafe Rouge around a month ago or so, give or take. Register gave it 4-stars, but then again, they don't have much on par with Rouge to measure against so they were probably just happy another decent restaurant opened in the OC Metro area. ;-) We're heading to San Diego this weekend with friends but as soon as I get a free weekend I'll definitely check that spot out. Florent's new restaurant, by the way, is supposed to open around 04.01, although I haven't heard anything official.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

There was a favorable 3-star review on Cafe Rouge around a month ago or so, give or take. Register gave it 4-stars, but then again, they don't have much on par with Rouge to measure against so they were probably just happy another decent restaurant opened in the OC Metro area. ;-) We're heading to San Diego this weekend with friends but as soon as I get a free weekend I'll definitely check that spot out. Florent's new restaurant, by the way, is supposed to open around 04.01, although I haven't heard anything official.

Good to know, thanks for the info.

FYI, if you are in the area, a new place in Corona Del Mar just opened called Port (in the old Svelte space on Heliotrope), i have heard lots of good things. The head chef is a family friend, he used to be the chef de Poisson at Aubregine when Goodell was still there. I am eagarly anticipating a meal there but just havent had the time yet.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields