• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cooking and Cuisine of Lazio

Kevin72

• 3 months later...

Now that spring is officially here, and it seems unlikely that we'll be dope-slapped by another blast of arctic air, I've been thinking about spring foods. For my money, the Romans appreciate spring better than pretty much anybody else, and I wanted to have some fun with those flavors.

So... dinner last night. We started with a green salad, and moved on to a risotto with peas:

gallery_7432_3413_46670.jpg

This is the first time I've used carnaroli rice rather than arborio. It was great: but was it noticeably better than arborio? Honestly, I couldn't tell. I'd have to do a taste-testing to know for sure.

What I really wanted to make was coratella con carciofi: lamb heart, lungs and liver cooked with artichokes. It's a great Roman dish (though I have mixed feelings about eating lung: it's so... spongy). Unfortunately, the wife doesn't get into offal much, so I adapted the dish by using lamb shoulder meat and cooking it a little longer than one would coratella:

gallery_7432_3413_28333.jpg

A little squeeze of lemon and you're in business! So, so good.

That looks delicious Andrew. I notice the great color on your artichokes - no hint of black at all. What treatment did they get in the cooking process?

Hey, nice to see you around Andrew!!

Lamb shoulder is just no substitute for lamb lung. But I'll take shoulder over lung, any day. Lung just makes me shiver, and not in a good way!

Don't know if this is Lazio specific, but the peas are spectacular right now. Pasta with peas and a bit of pancetta.

gallery_14010_2363_23292.jpg

• 2 months later...

For a friend's birthday, I did a meal inspired by Roman cooking.

We started with an antipasto of mozzarella dressed with anchovies and garlic, and bruschetta to mop up the juices:

gallery_19696_582_508848.jpg

Bucatini all'Amatriciana:

gallery_19696_582_678022.jpg

We finished with scottaditti, lamb chops off the grill. When I've made this before, Hathor and I got into a discussion about the type of meat traditionally used, which in Italy is a shoulder chop. That makes for a lot of gristle and fat (the appeal of the dish, apparently) but not something I think would fly with guests and my wife, so I went the safer route and used conventional lamb chops. They still weren't pretty enough to warrant a postable pic, though.

Hey, scotto ditto is Umbrian!! :biggrin::cool::laugh:

Our son was here last week (Umbria) and we started calling him the Principessa because he would trim all the fat and gristle away, while us 'locals' would gnaw around on the bones! It's all good!

Did you have sun dried tomatoes on that mozzarella or is that all anchovies?

hi, you may have found them in Umbria, too, but 'abbacchio scottadito' is definitely roman (I live in London now, but was born and raised in Rome).

I know it is late for artichokes now, but for the future I wonder whether you may find this video[/URL] useful (from www. gennarino.org): there you have a true italian grocer cleaning an artichoke from Sezze (an area around Latina that I think one of the first messages in this thread referred to).

hi, you may have found them in Umbria, too, but 'abbacchio scottadito' is definitely roman (I live in London now, but was born and raised in Rome).

I know it is late for artichokes now, but for the future I wonder whether you may find this video[/URL] useful (from www. gennarino.org): there you have a true italian grocer cleaning an artichoke from Sezze (an area around Latina that I think one of the first messages in this thread referred to).

Ciao Saluistagolosa! I work with a Roman, and for 'sport' we have this same arguement! :laugh::laugh:

Ciao Saluistagolosa! I work with a Roman, and for 'sport' we have this same arguement! :laugh::laugh:

I hope he converts you to the true abbacchio :wink:

Dai!!! Said with the appropriate hand gestures and eye roll!! :laugh::laugh: Now that would be a good emoticon.

I know it is late for artichokes now, but for the future I wonder whether you may find this video useful (from www. gennarino.org): there you have a true italian grocer cleaning an artichoke from Sezze (an area around Latina that I think one of the first messages in this thread referred to).

wow, that's the most useful artichoke-related video i've ever seen.

I know it is late for artichokes now, but for the future I wonder whether you may find this video useful (from www. gennarino.org): there you have a true italian grocer cleaning an artichoke from Sezze (an area around Latina that I think one of the first messages in this thread referred to).

wow, that's the most useful artichoke-related video i've ever seen.

really glad you like it! :smile:

That (geenarino, I mean) is actually a pretty good site (I declare my interest, I am a moderator there), pity it is in Italian...

i sure do. trying to describe how to prepare an artichoke is always confusing, and i've seen people do it on TV all the times, and it always seems to take a long time. but with that one cut, he just took care of everything. it makes me want to buy some artichokes and give it a try. I think i will.

gennarino.org does seem to be a good site -- franci was always recommending we read it. unfortunately, i don't speak italian, so it's pretty hard for me...

For a friend's birthday, I did a meal inspired by Roman cooking.

We started with an antipasto of mozzarella dressed with anchovies and garlic, and bruschetta to mop up the juices:

gallery_19696_582_508848.jpg

Bucatini all'Amatriciana:

gallery_19696_582_678022.jpg

We finished with scottaditti, lamb chops off the grill.  When I've made this before, Hathor and I got into a discussion about the type of meat traditionally used, which in Italy is a shoulder chop.  That makes for a lot of gristle and fat (the appeal of the dish, apparently) but not something I think would fly with guests and my wife, so I went the safer route and used conventional lamb chops. They still weren't pretty enough to warrant a postable pic, though.

Hello- Just a note to tell you how inspiring your antipasto was.. It got me to begin experimenting with anchovies and cheese :cool::cool::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks for getting me into the kitchen!

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

On that note, I snapped up some buratta the other day and made another brushcetta with it and this time an anchovy vinaigrette: four anchovy fillets, one clove of garlic, salt, olive oil, and red wine vinegar whizzed in a blender until emulsified. The zing and sting of the vinaigrette offsets the richness of the cheese and the two worked really, really well together.

• 9 months later...

Re-visiting these threads is a favorite exercise, all the more fun if I have something to add, albeit nothing too earth-shattering. I was starting a new batch of home-cured Pancetta this weekend and I had a strong craving to have some of this amazing pork product ASAP (I still had the butt end of the last piece in the freezer). I had no tomatoes for a PLT, and did not want to have a Pancetta and egg sandwich either. It was lunchtime and I needed something fast, filling and delicious. A lightbulb goes off and I remember I still have a few canned San Marzano tomatoes in a tupperware in the fridge leftover form another meal. Spaghetti All'Amatriciana of course!! with extra pancetta no less. Here is a picture by picture report of the process. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did....then again you have to be able to smell it and eat it to do that. So go make some.

gallery_5404_94_4154.jpg

gallery_5404_94_440810.jpg

gallery_5404_94_335907.jpg

gallery_5404_94_430891.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 weeks later...