• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HELP! Can't find Fat Separating LADLE

markk

I just broke my fat separating ladle, and cannot find another one. It was the cleverest gadget I've ever seen.

Basically, it's a handle from which a clear plastic cup-shaped ladle (which holds a good cupful of liquid) is suspended. The handle has a trigger that you pull with your index finger after the liquid has cooled for a moment and the fat has separated and floated to the top; the trigger opens a hole at the very bottom of the ladle, and the defatted liquid comes out. You can see the fat layer as it reaches the bottom of the bowl, so you know when to stop.

It's way more efficient than any other fat separator I've ever used, and I cannot locate one.

Has anybody seen one of these for sale? THANKS !!!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Oh I so totally want one of those! I wonder if they deliver to Canada.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Mine has a lable on one side of the handle that says Heartwatch fat skimmer.

I am sure it is the one you describe. The top of the bowl has slots all around - sort of looks like the top of a castle wall with crenallations, and it has feet so it stands on a flat surface.

I did a Google search and can't find any reference to it.

I haven't checked on ebay yet.

I'll take a photo as soon as I get the basenji puppy photos I took this weekend into the computer.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

WMF Profi makes a sturdier stainless steel one with what looks like the trigger mentioned.

It is not recommended by Cooks Illustrated, but only because it takes more time and patience than other gadgets. However, it is said to work well, especially with practice.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

This is the one I have: Actually one of the ones I have :rolleyes:

gallery_17399_60_9451.jpg

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Mine has a lable on one side of the handle that says Heartwatch fat skimmer.

I am sure it is the one you describe.  The top of the bowl has slots all around - sort of looks like the top of a castle wall with crenallations, and it has feet so it stands on a flat surface.

I did a Google search and can't find any reference to it. 

I haven't checked on ebay yet.

I'll take a photo as soon as I get the basenji puppy photos I took this weekend into the computer.

I found a PDF from Cooking Illustrated that looks like a gadget review with an illustration showing how the Heartwatch Gourmet Fat Skimmer works.

But that's the only reference I could find. How odd that I could access a PDF from that site since I think you have to pay to be a member...

I found this skimmer on eBay which looks like the skimmer you're looking for. It's located in Hong Kong, though.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Toliver, we must have posted at the same time. I posted a photo of mine.

I really don't use this as much as I use the one made by Profifat skimming ladle that has slots around the circumference a little more than 1/4 inch below the top edge.

I also have one of the Catamount glass separators that holds a quart of liquid. It is sometimes easier to use it, just ladle all of the liquid on the top of the pot into it and let the fat rise to the top.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

This is the one I have: Actually one of the ones I have :rolleyes:

gallery_17399_60_9451.jpg

YesYourMajesty.gifYesYourMajesty.gifYesYourMajesty.gif

THAT'S IT !!!!

I particularly love(d) it because there are some things that I make that only have a few ounces of "jus" but a lot of fat, and it's too small an amount for the other types of separators to separate.

If anybody sees one of these for sale somewhere, PLEASE let me know? THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's