• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressed sandwiches

Ron Johnson

Today's NYtimes food section has an article by the reviled and regarded Amanda Hesser about pressed sandwiches. She implies that waffle irons work as well as sandwich presses.

Is this true? Do certain waffle irons work better than others? If so, does it make more sense to buy a waffle iron so that it is good for two purposes? Are waffle irons cheaper than sandwich presses?

What are your favorite pressed sandwich combinations?

Ino's on Bedford St. (nyc) makes the best paninis I've had... faves include pancetta, lemon mayo and brie, 4 cheese, and something like arugula, sun dried tomato pesto, red onions and fontina.

As the Winsome One burbled, "The waffle iron itself, however, was flimsy, so to press the sandwich properly, particularly with sturdier breads, I placed an iron pan on top as it cooked. This worked just fine."

I'd get a sandwich press.

Except I just heat up two cast iron skillets to moderate heat, put the panino in one, the other skillet on top. Old truc.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I actually read this post with complete co-dependency, hoping Ms. Hesser did not mention her home life or personal info in any way, causing the wrath of Nina! :smile: Whew, when she started in on her waffle iron, I thought she was going to mention it was an engagement gift...that was a close one!!

We actually did this with grilled cheese a while back. The waffle iron did make crisp sandwiches, but the cheese gets pressed out of the areas where the squares are and oozed out everywhere and was a PITA to clean. The sandwich press was interesting, with the crimped edges and all. But the best version was the simplest one made in a skillet.

Way down in the article Hesser tells us that her waffle iron has multiple plates from which to choose, and that she used one with parallel grids to make her sandwiches. Mine isn't so sophisticated, but does have a plate that can be reversed from waffle to plain sandwich press.

My favorite, which I had first in Rome some 25 years ago, is spinach (which has been lightly sauteed with OO and garlic) with mozerella on basil bread.

eGullet member #80.

She mentioned Press 195, which is a couple of blocks from my door...mediocre.  I've been there with khao - it's a source of much humor because of a CH controversy.

yeah, i was quite disappointed with my sandwich there, but i thought i'd give them another chance....i like the farm-to-table concept, sourcing some of their foodstuffs, though. but my sandwich, as i feared, had too little bresaola & too much bread....

but bierkraft is down the block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was growing up my mother would make grilled tuna (tuna, Miracle Whip, Wonder Bread buttered on the outside) in the waffle portion of the waffle iron. I haven't eaten one for maybe 40 years, but I can still remember the flattened sandwich, complete with waffle pattern, with its slightly crispy bread and warm, oozing tuna filling.

What I love about the panini in Italy is their simplicity. Bread and meat, sometimes a slice of cheese, or a slice of grilled eggplant with some mozzarella. There's never any condiment (unless you eat a tramezzino, the mayo-enriched sandwiches on soft white bread more common in NE Italy...the name comes from the verb tramezzare, to place between or to place in layers).

I often pack a slice or two of Grand Central como or similar bread with a few slices of imported mortadella or maybe a cheese like good sharp provolone for lunch. I like eating this much more than the typical sandwich.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

My father's grilled cheese and ham sandwiches were a Saturday lunch ritual.

Basic supermarket white bread

Baked ham

Very sharp aged cheddar

Jersey Tomatoes if in season.

Butter the outside of the bread slices and place on the waffle iron. Close and cook till the bread is a crisp golden brown and the cheese starts seeping out into the grid of the waffle iron. (Note- just an ordinary old fashioned waffle iron. A Belgian iron does not work)

Being a virgo, I particularly liked the grid burned into the sandwich. Just like with an ear of corn, I can eat it in a perfectly straight line.

The cheese that seeps out toasts crisp and is a bonus treat. Rachel metioned it was hard to clean out of the grooves on the grill. On our well seasoned grill it lifted right out.

The sandwich is different from the panini in that the holes pressed into the sandwich are much deeper.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

She mentioned Press 195, which is a couple of blocks from my door...mediocre.  I've been there with khao - it's a source of much humor because of a CH controversy.

yeah, i was quite disappointed with my sandwich there, but i thought i'd give them another chance....i like the farm-to-table concept, sourcing some of their foodstuffs, though. but my sandwich, as i feared, had too little bresaola & too much bread....

but bierkraft is down the block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yo, you in da 'hood?

Inos on Bedford street is the best. Glenn has shared my favorites above. Also the truflled toast and the asparagus bruschetta are just most wonderful.

For those that have a sweet tooth, the Nutella panini is deeply addictive for those who like Nutella.

I enjoy the dessert bruschettas. When in season they make them with strawberries, peaches and apricots.

And again.. when at Ino’s... try the dessert paninis.. They are amazing. The fresh fruit ones are breathtaking. Toast, fruit slices, amazing honey, some freshly ground black peppercorn and warm melting mascarpone.

I once saw a lady eyeing me as I ate mine and my friend hers. She was so curious that I discretely asked our server to give her table an order of each of the two fresh fruit paninis as a gift from us. The lady was shocked and said she lived in the neighborhood and would now come back even more often. She never knew they had something like this. They are addictive.

I love that place. They are busy even late at night.... But worth the wait if one is in the mood for light and wonderful and delicious.

ino (21 Bedford Street; 989-5769)

Ino's is just off 6th Avenue on Bedford Street. A very small beautiful spot. Always busy. Open early and closes late.

The truffled egg toast is the Italian version of what the British left in India. We ate it as children but it was called Egg in the nest. They serve it with truffled bits of asparagus.

Cabrales, you of all people would enjoy it.

Wilfrid would do the toast better justice than I. The address is above.

You are most welcome Cabrales!

It is one of my favorite restaurants.. and that toast happens to be one of their best dishes.. and the first dish I ever made myself as a child.

Cannot wait to see how Wilfrid describes it for you. It will be amazing I am sure.

You must visit Ino and share with us your experience.

The Wall Street Journal picked up the pressed sandwich maker and reported in Friday's Weendend Journal.

Zabar's sale of krups universal ($85) best overall

Salton's Toastmaster cool-touch ($13) best value, crispy sandwich

Sur la table Panini Grill ($90) easy to clean

Kitchen Collection Procter-Silex ($20)

Cooking.com Villaware sandwich maker ($40)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo