• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking lettuce

Pan

As I was eating a new vegetable dish from my favorite Cantonese restaurant in town, Congee Village, it occurred to me that Cantonese dishes often include cooked lettuce, that they do a good job cooking it, and that I like lettuce as a cooked vegetable. Indeed, I probably like it better cooked than raw. Many cuisines are known for cooked cabbage, but cooked lettuce seems to me to be less common.

Do you cook lettuce? If so, how, and what do you find goes well with it?

Michael aka "Pan"

it's quite common to braise lettuce. use this with roasted meats. also sauteeing it like spinach is good. take some mesclun and heat a pan with butter. if it's iceberg lettuce you're thinking of same rules apply. actually one of my favorite ways to have iceberg lettuce is at this chinese restaurant i frequent where they have it in a consomme with bbq pork

Edited by chef koo (log)

bork bork bork

I make lettuce soup. A chicken stock based soup, with carrots, garlic, white beans, onions, any soft skinned squash, and lettuce. When the soup is served, I drizzle fruity olive oil on each bowlful, and serve it with hot sauce and lemons, or limes. When I make certain meat dishes I line the pan with iceburg lettuce, and the next day I make lettuce soup. It's the only time we eat that kind of lettuce in our house. Although, I DO adore shredded iceburg lettuce in a sandwich, we just don't make that kind of sandwich at home!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

in greece we have a dish called "lamb fricasse" which uses a lot of lightly cooked lettuce!

in essence it is a lamb caserole dish to which you add - after the lamb is tender - fresh diced lettuce, dill, sliced fresh onions, and let them become soft

you serve the dish with an egg and lemon sause and pair it with a pinot noir

athinaeos

civilization is an everyday affair

the situation is hopeless, but not very serious

On a hot summer night I like to serve a poached chicken breast over some some romaine hearts that were braised in nice salted butter and a touch of lemon. The resulting braising liquid is poured over the chicken.

It is a great simple meal.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

The lettuce of choice for us Chinese is iceberg. Torn leaves are flash chowed in a very hot wok with oil just until the leaves start to show a bit of wilt. A dash of oyster sauce on top is perfect. Must be enjoyed immediately it comes out of the wok. A variation is to mash a few (very few) fermented black beans into the hot oil before the lettuce goes in.

This is a great way to use up old lettuce. I've never tried it with fermented black beans, Ben--sounds good. I usually boil it until it just wilts, and add either oyster sauce or fu yee.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Must have lots of wilted lettuce under Chinese mushrooms braised in oyster sauce.

Romaine lettuce is a must when I make ramen noodles. I add whole leaves a minute or so before I eat it.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I love to make grilled or pan seared Belgian Endive. I cut them lengthwise add salt and olive oil and cook. Some things I do include:

-Brushing it with balsamic vinegar before cooking

-Melting goat cheese on top after it is almost done grilling and topping it with pine nuts

- adding some lemon and parsley after its done.

- add an Orange Vinaigrette (link to my blog with a recipe)

- Grilling Guru Steven Raichlen has a great recipe in How To Grill that uses cocoa and it it also outstanding.

- Top them with your favorite bruschetta topping.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com