• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trying to be brave in Paris .....

mrsadm

• 3 months later...

There's no place to be alone like Paris.

Yep, especially if you're lonely.

You can eat solo at Les Bookinistes and La Regalade - consider a reservation at either: they may make a consideration for you by partnering you with another solo diner (if you were to wish it).

• 5 weeks later...
My french is pretty much ... nothing. Could I still call and reserve using English?
Probably, places with stars have at least one person fluent in English, it's pretty easy to say Reservation - X couverts - Y heures. And if you have a friend or concierge call, it'll make it easier.

My French is somewhat better than nothing (quite good at one point, a bit rusty these days), but one thing I've never used it for is making a dinner reservation. John (or anyone), if you would be so kind as to give me some hints on the vocab/standard script here, that would be great...I'm about to make some calls today to try and book some dinners for my trip in October.

Merci beaucoup! :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

My French is somewhat better than nothing (quite good at one point, a bit rusty these days), but one thing I've never used it for is making a dinner reservation.  John (or anyone), if you would be so kind as to give me some hints on the vocab/standard script here, that would be great...I'm about to make some calls today to try and book some dinners for my trip in October.

Simplest version:

"Bonjour monsieur/madame.

Je voudrais reserver une table pour une/deux/trois/etc pour ce soir à/vers vingt -vingt deux/etc heures.

Oui, une/deux/trois/etc couverts.

Le nom est Blocker.

Fumeur/non-fumeur.

Merci

À ce soir/bientot/toute à l'heure or Au [re]voir."

Now people who genuinely speak French can plunge in.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

My French is somewhat better than nothing (quite good at one point, a bit rusty these days), but one thing I've never used it for is making a dinner reservation.  John (or anyone), if you would be so kind as to give me some hints on the vocab/standard script here, that would be great...I'm about to make some calls today to try and book some dinners for my trip in October.

Simplest version:

"Bonjour monsieur/madame.

Je voudrais reserver une table pour une/deux/trois/etc pour ce soir à/vers vingt -vingt deux/etc heures.

Oui, une/deux/trois/etc couverts.

Le nom est Blocker.

Fumeur/non-fumeur.

Merci

À ce soir/bientot/toute à l'heure or Au [re]voir."

Now people who genuinely speak French can plunge in.

And if you hear the word 'complet(e)' you may have to try elsewhere...

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks, guys! I dove in today and did all right, I think! I did indeed hear a "complete" - Le Comptoir. :sad: We'll probably try to walk in. :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Thanks, guys!  I dove in today and did all right, I think!  I did indeed hear a "complete" - Le Comptoir.  :sad:  We'll probably try to walk in. :wink:

Well, this probably deserves a new thread on "Where can you call and reserve tonight and get in, even in August?" but as you know from prior discussions of Le Comptoir getting in is not so easy. Certainly you may get in as a walk-up, others have, but I'd have a back up resto or two in case. Good luck!

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris