• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Al Fresca...

I just thought we might start a list similiar to "Open on Mondays" but focus this one on restaurants that offer outdoor seating (regardless of when they're open). I'm a big fan of eating out in the fresh air, but I know some people complain of poor service and/or discomfort, so maybe we can also discuss which places really excel at providing this experience. (I bow out of that latter conversation since I always cut a restaurant's service much slack when I'm outside)

Anyway, from what I've seen driving around Ridgewood we have:

Fratelli's (good amount of decent tables for 4, but I don't much care for the place)

It's Greek to Me (some tables for 4 and for 2, nice atmosphere)

Sakura Bana Sushi (got a couple of plastic tables and chairs practically on the street)

Marcello's (across the tracks, has a few tables, not sure how many)

Ah... that's all I can think of in Ridgewood off the top of my head right now.

Elsewhere:

Mexicali Rose in Montclair (plastic tables and chairs for 4, good amount of seating)

Spruce St. Grill in Ramsey (looks to have a lot of quality seating)

I think some places at Garden State Plaza have outdoor seating (don't care to confirm)

The Trackside in Ramsey (seating outside on a patio from the second floor)

I know there are a few places in Hoboken with a similar setup to the last one

Hmm... my mental block continues. Little help?

I never ate while sitting in a pool of fresca, must try it... :smile:

I knew I should've gone with that "o", but now I'm thinking that your suggestion might be even better, especially on a hot summer day. After all, aren't most great discoveries made by accident?

Down at the shore I'd have to add Navesink Cafe in Red Bank right on the banks of the navesink river. Good service, plastic seats.

Moonstruck, Asbury - Beautiful porches overlooking wesley Lake

Christophers in Colts Neck. Seating at about a half dozen nice tables, sturdy comfortable metal chairs.

Off the Hook at the Highlands bridge on Rt. 36 Lots of seating, plastic chairs, decent food and $2.50 Yeungling beers while watching the fools stuck in the traffic jam everytime the bridge goes up. :raz:

North Beach Grill in Long Branch. Good luncheonette food with a good view of the action at Ed's Seafood market across the street ("You want bloodworms with that?")

El Meson in Freehold. Good Mexican with a large outdoor section.

The Deck off the Olde Union House in Red Bank. OK Food, not much shade and they charge for every little plastic refill of Iced Tea. :angry:

Rooney's Crab House in Long Branch - Large varied menu and good people watching on the boardwalk.

Sawmill in Seaside - Not really alfresco, but they open all the walls up in the bar area to view the boardwalk. Huge thin crust pizza, cheap beer and arguably views of some of the most consistantly ugly people on the jersey shore. :shock:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Rooney's Crab House in Long Branch - Large varied menu and good people watching on the boardwalk.

Sawmill in Seaside - Not really alfresco, but they open all the walls up in the bar area to view the boardwalk.  Huge thin crust pizza, cheap beer and arguably views of some of the most consistantly ugly people on the jersey shore. :shock:

Rooney's is also open all year, making it a pleasant destination for that february drive to the share.

I wouldn't describe the people at Seaside in quite those terms. Some of those folks wear less than the legal minimum of coverage, which is also shrinking each year...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

The Clam Hut in Highlands has outdoor seating and they are right on the water. Cheapo plastic chairs... but always fresh sweet lobster and real steamers. Yum!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Since I just posted a review of Seven Hills of Istanbul which included mention of its outdoor dining area, I will add it here.

Other spots with outdoor seating: Le Rendez-Vous in Kenilworth, The Bistro at Red Bank, La Petite France in Red bank, and Federici's in Freehold.

O.K i have no pride, but seriously, tommorow is my father's 65th birthday and he's still in business ( and making a decent profit). He owns Il Villaggio in Morris Plains and I hope you all go there Monday and everyday after. He taught me everything I know about this business but certainly not everything he knows. I having a little dinner tommorow for him and his croinies at my place.

Anyway, he's got Al Fresco dining.

Happy Birthday Pop!

O.K i have no pride, but seriously, tommorow is my father's 65th birthday and he's still in business ( and making a decent profit). He owns Il Villaggio in Morris Plains and I hope you all go there Monday and everyday after. He taught me everything I know about this business but certainly not everything he knows. I having a little dinner tommorow for him and his croinies at my place.

Anyway, he's got Al Fresco dining.

Happy Birthday Pop!

Gee--When I started to read your post I thought you were inviting all of us to your

dad's birthday party! :laugh:

An American Grill has outdoor dining also. Right?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

The Clam Hut in Highlands has outdoor seating and they are right on the water. Cheapo plastic chairs... but always fresh sweet lobster and real steamers.  Yum!

Is Clam Hut still in business?

I heard they sold their land and slips to the Ferry people.

Definitely a nice place to dine on the water. Dee and I had our first date there.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Fratelli's (good amount of decent tables for 4, but I don't much care for the place)

the place is just horrible. if they put just a tiny bit of effort into it, it would be great.

janice bistro in ho-ho-kus has 2 table out fronts. kind of a small spot. the ho-ho-kus inn has seating outside on a patio. pretty nice actually.

as you suggest, many many places in hoboken have outdoor seating, mostly on the sidewalk.

Also in Ridgewood: Secrets of Suzanne (not much offerings ), Pasta Y Pollo opposite Fresh Fields, Mac Murphy's, The Office, Smith Brothers, then there is CafeAmici (actually an Irish place) in Little Ferry and of course, Johnny & Hanges (Fair Lawn) and...the Mexican place in Oradel...any one???

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Is Clam Hut still in business?  

Hmm...well they were last time I was there - which was a few months ago. That is one of my fave places to go for seafood - always fresh and delicious, although the prices have gone up and some of the nicer touches have disappeared.

I tend to avoid the place in the summer, but come September I know I'll be back. So if anyone knows if they've closed, do tell!

Thanks!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I'll also add Calda, at the Newark Performing Arts Center, delightful, outdoor patio with tenting. They had a buffet last year on some show nights, I believe there's a menu on non-show nights.

One drawback is the parking fee ($12 on show nights IIRC) which is waived on non-show nights.

rancho gordo

Stage House Inn has an outdoor patio area.

The Critical Diner

"If posts to eGullet became the yardstick of productivity, Tommy would be the ruler of the free world." -- Fat Guy

I'll also add Calda, at the Newark Performing Arts Center,  delightful, outdoor patio with tenting. They had a buffet last year on some show nights, I believe there's a menu on non-show nights.

One drawback is the parking fee ($12 on show nights IIRC) which is waived on non-show nights.

Rail Paul - I've been meaning to try this place! Have you sampled the food enough to have formulated an opinion of it?

I'll also add Calda, at the Newark Performing Arts Center,  delightful, outdoor patio with tenting. They had a buffet last year on some show nights, I believe there's a menu on non-show nights.

Rail Paul - I've been meaning to try this place! Have you sampled the food enough to have formulated an opinion of it?

Have just been there once, for the buffet. Liked it, will definitely go back again on a non-show night to order off the menu. I vaguely recall it may be a BYO on non-show nights due to the limited purpose liquor license, like the Carriage House in Millburn.

Also, re: Clam Hut. I was told the place has been sold to the Ferry people, but will remain in business for dinner and weekends. Lunch time weekday service is apparently no longer offered.

rancho gordo