• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw Sushi Resaturant and Sake bar

CherieV

Finally made it to Raw tonight and was not disappointed. We walked in around 8pm and were promptly seated, even though the 3rd member of our party had not yet arrived. The food, simply put, was phenomenal. We began with the spider (soft-shell crab), capital (i forget, but it was crunchy on the outside and absolutely divine) and tuna and avocado rolls along with a few orders of a la carte toro, salmon and king crab. I admit, I'm usually a ginger and wasabi afficianado but I just couldn't bring myself to mar the clean, fresh taste of this fish with any of that. Both the maki and the sashimi were amazing--each in its own special way. The toro, specifically, absolutely melted in our mouths. The only disappointment there was when we tried to order more, they were all out!

We held onto the menu and continued with the asparagus tempura roll and the butter poached lobster with corn flan. Now I'm a fan of lobster but this dish didn't even need it (and it was a touch chewy.) I could have drank the flan with a straw! In fact, I'm sure I'll dream of it tonight. The asparagus tempura rolls were fine but just didn't hold up next to the flan.

As noted earlier in this post, service was friendly but a bit slow. We didn't mind because we were enjoying our time with friends but it could have been bothersome under different circumstances. However, I go out for the food and this was the best dining experience I have had in a long time. Thank you, Greg, for our lovely meal tonight. I'll know to ask for you next time!

Finally made it to Raw tonight and was not disappointed.  We walked in around 8pm and were promptly seated, even though the 3rd member of our party had not yet arrived.  The food, simply put, was phenomenal.  We began with the spider (soft-shell crab), capital (i forget, but it was crunchy on the outside and absolutely divine) and tuna and avocado rolls along with a few orders of a la carte toro, salmon and king crab.  I admit, I'm usually a ginger and wasabi afficianado but I just couldn't bring myself to mar the clean, fresh taste of this fish with any of that.  Both the maki and the sashimi were amazing--each in its own special way.  The toro, specifically, absolutely melted in our mouths.  The only disappointment there was when we tried to order more, they were all out!

We held onto the menu and continued with the asparagus tempura roll and the butter poached lobster with corn flan.  Now I'm a fan of lobster but this dish didn't even need it (and it was a touch chewy.)  I could have drank the flan with a straw!  In fact, I'm sure I'll dream of it tonight.  The asparagus tempura rolls were fine but just didn't hold up next to the flan.

As noted earlier in this post, service was friendly but a bit slow.  We didn't mind because we were enjoying our time with friends but it could have been bothersome under different circumstances.  However, I go out for the food and this was the best dining experience I have had in a long time.  Thank you, Greg, for our lovely meal tonight.  I'll know to ask for you next time!

I am glad you liked it.

I was off tonight, but next time you come in I will make you two flans and make sure the lobster is not chewy.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

All riiiiiight! I'd been thinking that you know, I haven't had sushi since December (fish carpaccio is good, but it ain't the same)... then looking over this thread forced me, zombie-like, to march over to the phone and make a reservation for tonight.

Is it reasonable to ask if there are any must-orders? Or is it too long a list?

All riiiiiight!  I'd been thinking that you know, I haven't had sushi since December (fish carpaccio is good, but it ain't the same)... then looking over this thread forced me, zombie-like, to march over to the phone and make a reservation for tonight. 

Is it reasonable to ask if there are any must-orders?  Or is it too long a list?

How many people, and at what time?

--Sandy "no, I'm not thinking of crashing the party, but there is an out-of-town visitor who I hope to meet up with later tonight" Smith

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

All riiiiiight!  I'd been thinking that you know, I haven't had sushi since December (fish carpaccio is good, but it ain't the same)... then looking over this thread forced me, zombie-like, to march over to the phone and make a reservation for tonight. 

... and we went, and it was really good. I admit that we stuck to a pretty unadventurous menu (no flan this time), but everything was well-prepared. Good sushi and soba soup, with really terrific shrimp tempura.

The service was efficient, maybe too efficient; we were in and out in about half an hour. Not much time to digest. I suppose that if we'd ordered off the main plates menu, that'd have slowed things down a little bit. Next time, I suppose...

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

• 4 weeks later...

i was over at raw on friday after work. the person i was meeting for a drink took the time to go over and ask the sushi chef what to get. of course he recommended bluefin, and o-toro. also he recommended kanpachi, a.k.a. baby yellowtail, which i hadn't had before. the bluefin and the kanpachi were good stuff. but the o-toro... wooooo.... it was like eating a slab of fish butter.

wait, that doesn't sound as good as it actually was.

i was over at raw on friday after work.  the person i was meeting for a drink took the time to go over and ask the sushi chef what to get.  of course he recommended bluefin, and o-toro.  also he recommended kanpachi, a.k.a. baby yellowtail, which i hadn't had before.  the bluefin and the kanpachi were good stuff.  but the o-toro... wooooo.... it was like eating a slab of fish butter.

hi my name is sam. i 'm sushi chef.

(i'm sorry my english is not good,please understand me)

i'm sorry about your o-toro.exually o-toro taste like very oilly taste.but i think you don't like oilly fish.next time when you coming, please let me know.

i'll recommend best mild fish for you,and i'll do my best for you.thank you very much. -sushi chef sam-

by the way,hey greg now i know how writting in here~

Hi Sam, thanks for joining us here!

And don't worry, I think mrbigjas liked the o-toro very much, he was just being funny.

(edited to add) Katie and I loved everything you made for us when we were there, especially the Ika!

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Katie and I loved everything you made for us when we were there, especially the Ika!

Yes we did!

Sushi Chef Sam welcome to eGullet!!!

This is a fine place to practice your English and we promise to be patient. Please post some more and tell us about your favorite places in Philadelphia. We always want to know where the chefs hang out when they aren't working. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hey Sam ,I am gonna be a little late tomorrow. :biggrin:

Katie ,you have to hit the korean bbq spots with us.

Sam is like South Korean Idol with the karaoke

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

I gotta see the karaoke! That just sounds like fun! I can just watch, right? 'Cuz me singing ain't too pretty. I can carry a tune that has handles, but I was always more of an instrumentalist than a vocalist. :raz:

And Korean BBQ sounds great. Last time I had it I went to Porky & Porkies and that was quite a awhile ago. I need to go with folks that can really show me the ropes... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

thank you so much welcoming me.

and than you very much for enjoy my sushi.( i remember that "ika")

if you like korean b.b.q. with karaoke just let me know.

greg and i , we'll go together.

thank you for understad my english.

but the o-toro... wooooo.... it was like eating a slab of fish butter.

hi my name is sam. i 'm sushi chef.

(i'm sorry my english is not good,please understand me)

i'm sorry about your o-toro.exually o-toro taste like very oilly taste.but i think you don't like oilly fish.next time when you coming, please let me know.

i'll recommend best mild fish for you,and i'll do my best for you.thank you very much. -sushi chef sam-

by the way,hey greg now i know how writting in here~

oh no, sam, i gave the wrong impression--what i meant was that my description was bad, not the fish! the fish was fantastic and incredibly delicious. i loved it and i'm coming back for more soon.

welcome to the forum--i hope you'll keep posting.

Korean barbecue?

Karaoke?

Can I tag along?

--Sandy, Philadelphia Gay Men's Chorus second tenor, was with Katie and Holly for that trip to Porky & Porkie

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Korean barbecue?

Karaoke?

Can I tag along?

--Sandy, Philadelphia Gay Men's Chorus second tenor, was with Katie and Holly for that trip to Porky & Porkie

Sure you can come,nothing goes better with korean bbq than singing.

Sam I'm was kidding about being late, 2:30 homie.

• 7 months later...

Big bump:

I finally made it to Raw on Monday night, with two colleagues in tow.

The backstory: As some of you may know, Widener University is the presenting sponsor of the Philadelphia Speakers Series, a series of lectures by notable (and sometimes notorious) public figures that brings some of today's best known names to the Kimmel Center. With a very few exceptions (coughColin Powellcough), the speaker is also available for a pre-talk dinner and post-talk reception for friends of Widener and co-sponsor WRTI; on a few occasions (historian David McCullough, author Amy Tan), the speaker comes to campus the next day for a talk with students and interested faculty and staff.

We have a photographer on hand for the VIP events, and University Advancement Division staff work these events to keep track of the VIPs and who the photographer shot.

The instructions on how to handle the photo logistics include information on booking dinner at Cadence, the Kimmel Center's terrace restaurant, between the early reception/dinner and the talk.

Our photographer, Ted Kostans, told me at the last Speakers Series talk we worked that he didn't much care for Cadence. So I took him and Assistant Vice President for Government and Community Relations Rob Skormoucha to Good Dog instead, where we all ordered--and loved--the burger.

This past Monday, after we took care of everyone who wanted a photo with RFK Jr., I told them that I had been dying to try Raw for some time. They agreed to follow me along after we stashed our paraphernalia at the Kimmel.

All three of us had one of the evening's specials. Rob and I both ordered the white tiger roll: Spicy white tuna roll topped with more white tuna, shrimp and a peppery sauce. Ted had the spicy lobster roll with a gingery soy sauce drizzle.

Oh, my, were these ever orgasmic. The creaminess of the tuna-and-shrimp topping (evidently a puree) played nicely off the rolls, and the hint of heat (you might find it more than a hint, based on others' reaction to my standard chili) enhanced the mildness of the tuna. The spicy lobster roll was equally delectable.

This was the first time I've ever eaten sushi rolls without once dipping them in soy sauce, let alone soy sauce mixed with wasabi, which readers of this thread will recall is bad form. They needed no enhancement; the freshness of the ingredients and the interplay of flavors made the soy sauce superfluous. (I did dab some wasabi on a couple of pieces.)

And the portions are generous -- 8 to 10 roll slices -- and beautifully displayed. Given what worse places here charge for sushi, I wonder how this place gets away with such reasonable prices for this quality level.

As my waiter informed us that Greg Ling is now at Hikaru, I'm going to have to go down there to see if he has raised that restauant to this level.

In the meantime, Rob and Ted now regard me as a dining god, and I'm sure they're going to ask to work with me on future Speakers Series talks (the 2007-08 series is listed at the link above). I'm just lucky to live where I do and hang out on this board.

This was the first time I've ever eaten sushi rolls without once dipping them in soy sauce, let alone soy sauce mixed with wasabi, which readers of this thread will recall is bad form.  They needed no enhancement; the freshness of the ingredients and the interplay of flavors made the soy sauce superfluous.  (I did dab some wasabi on a couple of pieces.)

New-age rolls that are pre-doused with sauces of various kinds are one thing, but shoyu isn''t really an enhancement for traditional style sushi (maki included), it's a basic part of the food itself.

That is, people shouldn't feel like dipping sushi in shoyu is intended to elevate or mask lower quality fish... At several of the high-end places the sushi even comes pre-brushed with shoyu!

As my waiter informed us that Greg Ling is now at Hikaru, I'm going to have to go down there to see if he has raised that restauant to this level.

Hold that thought. I know he was at Haru, and but I believe he recently left.

Also, Greg ran the hot kitchen @ Raw, not anything to do with sushi.

Is Hikaru trying to raise the bar on the non-sushi menu?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Hold that thought. I know he was at Haru, and but I believe he recently left.

Also, Greg ran the hot kitchen @ Raw, not anything to do with sushi.

Is Hikaru trying to raise the bar on the non-sushi menu?

I don't work anywhere now, working on my house and taking a break from kitchen life.

The sushi at RAW is all Sam's. He is the man .

thank you very much for visited at raw.

thank you greg...you are the man.

i had around 30 kinds special roll and

special for aAPP. dish. if you visit next time let me know from

eg forums~ i do my best. thank you .

hey greg, next saturday let's go B.B.Q. ok?

give me a call.

I'll make a note of that, Sam, for I will be back. I absolutely adore sushi, and yours is so good.

Hey, if you end up going to that place at Front and Olney or something like it, you might even be able to persuade me to skip my usual Saturday night karaoke.

thank you very much for visited at raw.

thank you greg...you are the man.

i had around 30 kinds special roll and

special for aAPP. dish. if you visit next time let me know from

eg forums~ i do my best. thank you .

hey greg, next saturday let's go B.B.Q. ok?

give me a call.

Count me in saturday.

• 4 months later...
We're planning on going this weekend... any recommendations?

Yes, go to Zento instead.

Way better sushi both price and quality wise.

Easily the best in center city.

Agreed. Zento is not only the best in the city (which isn't saying a whole lot) but is on an absolute scale very good.