• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best hot sauce for general use?

MJP

I'm looking for a well-rounded hot sauce that I can use as a condiment, not an ingredient, for general use... burgers, chili, chicken, you name it. I have a pretty decent tolerance for spicy, so I'm looking for something around the 30,000+ Scoville range. One or two drops should really do it for me.

Just for reference on my tolerance: on the hot end, Barron's habanero sauce is what I use to spice up regular BBQ sauce and it only takes a few drops, but I can take a straw and start drinking Tabasco without any adverse (heat or flavor, that is) effects, so that's pretty mild. (What happens later is another story... :unsure:)

Any suggestions? I don't mind ordering online since my local markets don't really carry much outside the mild stuff.

Edited by MJP (log)

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I like the sambals, oolek, bajak, and trassy. The ones I prefer are from Indonesia. The oolek is fresh chilis, the bajak is fermented and the trassy has fermented shrimp paste in it so it has that tropical, asian funk, of kim chee. Which brand you like is a matter of taste.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I like the sambals, oolek, bajak, and trassy. The ones I prefer are from Indonesia.  The oolek is fresh chilis, the bajak is fermented and the trassy has fermented shrimp paste in it so it has that tropical, asian funk, of kim chee.  Which brand you like is a matter of taste.

I second that!!!

I use sambal oelek in a lot of my cooking. It goes great with differnt cuisines :wink:

Asking what kind of hot sauce is kind of like asking what flavor beer you ought to drink. Just as there are different types (regional or style) of BBQ--- the same holds for hot sauce. Me personally? I keep several flavors of Mexican-- TapaTio, Chollula, Valentina, and el Yucateco. For the south-eastern flavor Tabasco in several flavors, the classic, the smoked chipotle, the habanero (great on eggs), then there's the Crystal (the best inexpensive vinegar/hot). For asian fun, there's the Sirichiri Rooster sauce, or a jar of chili oil with pepper flakes in it. And when doing a whole hog-- I'll make a couple gallons of pig pickin' sauce.

Hot stuff? As long as it has flavor, yes. To see how hot you can stand it? Nahhhh- there are better ways to hurt yourself. :blink:

HVR

Edited by HVRobinson (log)

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Any suggestions?  I don't mind ordering online since my local markets don't really carry much outside the mild stuff.

If you're looking for added heat try the "Dave's" line of sauces. The Insanity sauce is insanely hot and just a couple drops will do it. There are also other sauces in the product line that offer more flavor.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My favorite is Tapatio.  A bit hotter than Tabasco, with less vinegar and a lot more flavor.

Bought a bottle of Tapatio on your recommendation, it's got some kick!

We're not alone. I got it in the hispanic section of my local Food Lion. They had several hot sauces in a row, all fully stocked.

Only one Tapatio left. :wink:

I second the opinions on sambal and other Asian hot sauces.

For a Western hot sauce, I think tops for general purpose is Red Devil. It's a cayenne and vinegar hot sauce. I think it has more intensity and roundness of flavor per unit of heat than most other hot sauces (I've always found Tabasco a little whimpy on flavor compared to the amount of heat it brings to the table.)

--