• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone been to Le Crocodile lately?

waylman

My wife and I are going on Saturday and I'd like to know if there are any recommendations on the menu from the eGulleters?

We went for Valentine's day last year, and the biggest standout for me was the Onion Tart which, I believe, is one of their signature dishes. But everything was of a high standard.

Le Croc also has a most tempting selection of after-dinner drinks - if you have any room left do try some.

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

They almost always have a fabulous foie gras appetizer special - a terrine, or pan-seared - that is rich, unctuous and a beautiful experience with a lovely Sauturnes.

My thrice-a-year foie gras indulgence!

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Veau Morille....

It is the single best thing I have ever eaten in a restaurant that I didn't cook myself.

Onion Tart was exceptional as well.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

They almost always have a fabulous foie gras appetizer special - a terrine, or pan-seared - that is rich, unctuous and a beautiful experience with a lovely Sauturnes.

My thrice-a-year foie gras indulgence!

I had foie gras three times in two days--at Elements, at home, and at Parkside. :biggrin:

I do love the fries that come with the veal chop, but that might be a lunch time special. My favourite dish I had this summer was the cornish game hen stuffed with sweetbreads, but that might be a lunch dish as well.

The onion tart is quite good. Nice pastry.

I had foie gras three times in two days--at Elements, at home, and at Parkside. :biggrin:

I do love the fries that come with the veal chop, but that might be a lunch time special. My favourite dish I had this summer was the cornish game hen stuffed with sweetbreads, but that might be a lunch dish as well.

The onion tart is quite good. Nice pastry.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

• 11 months later...

We had dinner there tonight. To tell you the truth, we already knew what we were going to order when we stepped through the door: the fantastic pan-fried skate wing with beurre noisette and capers my sister had ordered the last time she was in town. Alas, the only thing on the menu not available that night: the pan-fried skate wing with beurre noisette butter and capers. Initially disappointed, we managed to make due - in a big way. To begin, we were served an amuse-bouche - a duck confit and cranberry tartlet - sweet and savory, flaky, and still warm from the oven. Fondy's appetizer was the garlic-fried frog legs in a parsley-chive butter sauce accompanied by an orange tomato puree. A terrific dish. I opted for the wild mushroom soup - morels, porcini, button mushroom (from what I could taste and tell) pureed into a nice, meaty soup with a smattering of pan-fried crispy counterparts, the whole finished with a few drops of white truffle oil. Superb. We were torn over the night’s special appetizer so, rather than miss out, we ordered it as a second course: breaded, seasoned, oven-roasted bone marrow finished with fleur de sel. If you like marrow (which we do), you’ll love the way Chef Michael Jacob prepares this wonderful dish. Finally, onto our main courses. Fondy had the Dover Sole, panfried and served with a beurre blanc sauce. A very rich and truly delectable dish. I had one of the night’s additions: a perfectly cooked Chilean sea bass served with tomato fondant and garlic mashed potatoes. The whole was accompanied by crispy pommes frites. We decided to forgo dessert on this night but did book ahead for Valentine’s Day. I can’t think of a better place to celebrate a special occasion.

For pics of tonight's dinner and an amusing story involving a christian summer camp and ice cream sandwiches, check out the blog.

Edited by LordBalthazar (log)

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Joseph - I went to your blog and drooled over the food pics. Loved the story about the christian camp and the ice cream sandwiches. Also loved the pug pics - they're adorable!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

If you like marrow (which we do), you’ll love the way Chef Emile Jung prepares this wonderful dish.

Don't you mean Vancouver culinary icon Chef Michel Jacob as opposed to Chef Emile Jung of Au Crocodile?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

The sole done tableside is great.

Robert is the wine guy as well as works the room.

He enjoys a good challange and if you tell him your wine budget, he can come up with some stellar bottles. No budget is too big or small.

I understand that lovely Robert the wine guy was turfed out to make room for the new maitre'd who needed a larger territory to pee on. We thought Robert was wonderful and have only eaten there once since that guy fom Lumiere started (feel free to read between the lines!) Anyone know where Robert is working now?