• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Sedalia, MO

joiei

My brother is working a job in Sedalia for the next couple fo weeks. Where should I tell him to dine? He likes a variety of dining options.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

My brother is working a job in Sedalia for the next couple fo weeks.  Where should I tell him to dine?  He likes a variety of dining options.

Good question. I haven't been there in so long, your post made me curious what (if anything) is going on there. I was encouraged that there appear to be some local spots but obviously can't speak to the quality of any of them. If he finds a place that's worth writing home about, I hope you'll report back; that being the home of the state fair, I'm sure it would be helpful for people throughout the Show Me state to know (a person can only eat so many corn dogs, after all :wink:).

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

If it was me, I'd schedule all three BBQ joints, both Italians and both tea rooms.

BBQ in Missouri is a given as a chance worth taking. Every BBQ joint not named Dickey's or Famous Dave's is either a little or a lot different.

There's some wierd association between St. Louis and Italian food that I've never quite worked out, so maybe the ones in Sedalia would be interesting.

Okay, so maybe I wouldn't end up in the tea rooms after all. One of those cafes might be old-school, though, so I'd do some detecting there.

--Blair

This isn't going to be much help - but might lend some hope...

There was a GREAT little restaurant in Sedalia near/on the way to where the turn-off for the road down to the Lake of the Ozarks is... My dad and I would always stop there for the BEST ONION RINGS IN THE WORLD on our way down to fish on long weekends. It was decades ago, but I'll never forget how they tasted... they've become the standard by which I have measure all onion rings since... I never looked at french fries the same way again. I was probably only six when I first tried these treats - an early start on getting to know the alluring affects of beer in batter! :raz:

I realize this is very vague and doesn't help at all. It's been a food five years since I've passed that way, and everytime I do, I look for it... to no avail... My memory has hazed over and I can't really remember exactly where the place is. Neither could my dad - he's tried to look for the place the last couple times he passed that way. Perhaps it's gone (I wouldn't be surprised). I guess it'll just one of those hauntingly sweet memories of the past.

Thanks for sending me down memory lane... sorry for dragging all of you along with me.

If your brother does find irresistable beer-battered onion rings - be sure to let me know!!

Ulterior Epicure.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

There's some wierd association between St. Louis and Italian food that I've never quite worked out, so maybe the ones in Sedalia would be interesting.

From a website regarding the history of the settling of St. Louis: "A large influx of Italians came to St. Louis in the 1890s to work in clay mines in the Fairmount area. Factory expansion nationally increased demand for fire brick, including that made in St. Louis. Many of these Italians came to St. Louis via the Illinois coal fields, replacing German and African-American clay miners. By the turn of the century, they were living on what we now call 'The Hill.' The neighborhood grew most during the first two decades of this century."

I had a friend of Italian heritage that was born and raised right there on that hill. She told me that during her youth, which would have been the 1950-60's, it was called "Dago Hill." Thank goodness that unfortunate bit seems to have been dropped.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I had a friend of Italian heritage that was born and raised right there on that hill.  She told me that during her youth, which  would have been the middle of the 20th century, it was called "Dago Hill."  Thank goodness that seems to have been dropped.

Yogi Berra was born on The Hill, as well. He refers to it frequently in his books.

And I have to add that "nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded." :smile:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher