• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peninsula Grill Coconut Cake

Becca Porter

Having had the actual Peninsula Grill coconut cake four times, and hearing the reports of how the cake comes out when prepared according to the home recipe, I've got to say I'm suspicious of the recipe that Bon Appetit printed. The Peninsula folks have been famously guarded about that recipe, not wanting to enable commercial reproduction (they sell the cakes by mail at an exorbitant price). Certainly, the cake as served in the restaurant (and the mail order version, which is about the same) is anything but dry.

I've noticed that the recipes on Epicurious' website are different from the recipes on Martha Stewart's Website. I plugged them both into Mastercook and scaled them based on flour amounts and they're different, for both the cake and the filling. Also, Martha Stewart's calls for simple syrup which could account for moisture issues. I've had the best success with using the recipes for the Shubox Coconut Cake and frosting found on Epicurious Website paired with the Peninsula grill filling. Both cakes and frostings are similar but the addition of cream of coconut to the Shubox cake and frosting are what put it over the top IMHO. Also, the Shubox cake is a little lighter due to whipping and folding in the egg whites.

Edited by shaloop (log)

• 5 months later...

i worked at peninsula grill for close to 4 years and made HUNDREDS of coconut cakes. the recipies you find online are not correct. one tip is to put the shredded coconut for the filling in the food processor. it makes it easier to spread, and when you cut your cakes, the strands dont pull on the cake layers underneath :wink: makes for a very sharp presentation.

oh, and serve at room temp!!

watermelon lizards catch bass in charleston!

simplicity is the mother of all beauty - Big John's Tavern

i worked at peninsula grill for close to 4 years and made HUNDREDS of coconut cakes.  the recipies you find online are not correct.  one tip is to put the shredded coconut for the filling in the food processor.  it makes it easier to spread, and when you cut your cakes, the strands dont pull on the cake layers underneath :wink: makes for a very sharp presentation. 

oh, and serve at room temp!!

I've never had the original cake... but I've used the filling recipe from Epicurious, and definitely put the coconut in the food processor first so it is easier to eat.

How would your recollection compare to the epicurious recipe - for the filling, I mean. Any changes that you would suggest for me the next time I make the filling :wink: ?