• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meals OUT in New Jersey-Where did you get it?

Anonymouze

I figure I'd start this thread since I work from home and I'm sure many of you either order out, get delivery or do "take out"! So being "hump day" I thought I'd ask what have you gotten this week and from whom and what was it (or in it!)? and if there's a funny story or interesting reason the "why"!

Monday - skipped lunch - Went to Waterloo Sue's - Hackensack

SPIEDINI ROMANO - Appetizer and also a small side salad

Layered mozzarella quick fried on white bread and

served with a side of anchovy, caper & butter sauce (It doesn't need it trust me!)

LOBSTER RAVIOLI - Main Course - With a seafood newburg sauce

Tuesday - Itsy's Gourmet - Park Ridge (Delivery/Take-out)

Brunch: Cinnamon Raisin Bagel w/ Bacon Egg & Cheese

Supper: Pastrami & Corned Beef on Rye with Mustard

Linden's chocolate chip cookies

Wednesday - Picnic Catering - Emerson (Gourmet Take-out)

Lunch - Fall off the bones ribs - Made with our homemade barbecue sauce. Sweet potato puree as a side dish

Supper - Ultimate Cheesesteak — Rare filet mignon, caramelized red onion, sauteed orange peppers, garlic butter, cheddar on a lovely focaccia.

Thursday - ?! TBA!! :raz:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Yesterday was "fast food" so not worth mentioning the details! But today I went to han ah reum the asian market south of route 46 in Ridgefield and ate half my lunch there and took the other half home! (and got some delimanjoo YUM!) heeeheee :biggrin::laugh:

I ordered bulgogi roll which was so big and so tasty I only ate half! It also came with kimchee, some yellowish fruit or veggie sliced sweet smelling and some red-pepper, scallion dipping sauce and I asked them as they made it to omit some stuff because it was so big! LOL inside the seaweed wrapper was rice, crabstick, carrots, cucumbers, some yellow thingy and more it was a big sushi roll if I only knew I would not have ordered my second item!

Seafood pancake it had scallions, string beans (yes I ate the "green stuff" for those who know me - lol -) it was like a scallion pancake only with seafood in it too and slightly crispy/cooked very tasty with free dipping sauce as well.

I grabbed a coke and enjoyed half my lunch, the other half I took to go... it was really good you should check out their foodcourt sometime! About 15 min start-to-end for them to make your food and call your number out to pick it up!

Anyone order/takeout/pick-up anything good this week or weekend! There's gotta be SOME takers out there. :raz:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Cool Posting Idea

Here's my list.

Monday, good breakfast Eggs and Bacon,

Skipped Lunch, protein bars.

Dinner Japanese, Dai Kichi Montclair, was not in the mood to cook. Wen out with mys sun, Hijiki, Edanami, Miso Soups, Some Rolls, kid had a bento box. Wifey was in NY with friends she ended up at A Better Burger.

Tuesday, Lunch ? Something, don't remember.

Dinner at home. Wife likes to cook, a delicious chicken and mushroom risotto. I am one lucky guy.

Wednesday, Skipped lunch

Dinner a work related party, networking event. Catered mexican, chilli was pretty good, don't know what they had a home.

Thursday, Lunch at cafe in office complex. Turkey on Rye with Slaw and Russian dressing

Another work dinner, fund raising / networking event at the Landmark on 17 in Rutherford. Rubber Chicken. need I say more?

Friday, Skipped lunch.

Don't want to cook, Cafe Sultan in Montclair. See the review.

Saturday, Lunch from Whole foods, falafel wrap and Pea Soup

Dinner ahh this was the best! Out with Friends, Table 8. See review.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

I admit, I am tired at the end of the day, and frequently order out, or eat out...

Tuesday - Sakora Bana, Ridgewood. My favorite sushi in all of New Jersey...I should start a thread about it...I eat lots and lots of sushi.

Wednesday - A HUGE pastrami sandwich from Kosher Nosh, Glen Rock

Thursday - Salad Bar, Whole Foods, Ridgewood

Monday I ate a funny little chinese-style hotdog with bun (from King Fong) wrapped around it and leftover KFC from Sunday

for supper I had these funny little chinese sandwiches that had like potato and mushroom and pork inside or something like a potato knish type taste and 1/4 of this chinese bread that looks like Naan (which is indian)!

Today I see something that looks tasty from Picnic, I hope I order in time... if so this is my lunch today! If not I'll eat some more of those little chinese sandwiches today for both lunch and supper! Yum

Monday I ate a funny little chinese-style hotdog with bun (from King Fong) wrapped around it

Boy, you are a brave soul... I went into King Fong a year ago and the stench almost bowled me over. Place has an overall filthy, unmaintained apperance as well. Don't know how it passes the health inspections.

For an immaculate Asian store, I would head over to Han Ah Reum in Ridgefield. It's a little further, but a lot safer on the digestive tract... (No smell in the store either).

The roast pork from King Fung is excellent though, and they make it all the time, so I'm not really concerned about food borne illnesses from the stuff I buy there. I'd be a little worried about buying raw meat, poultry and fish however. Vegetables, refrigerated noodles, frozen items and dried goods and Chinese cooking condiments won't kill you either, and thats primarily what I go there for, in addition to their amazing roast pork. Han Ah Reum doesnt have everything you need for Chinese cooking, unfortunately.

Kam Man Food in East Hanover is probably the best Chinese supermarket in North Jersey, but its an hour away from where I live, so I reserve it for major stocking up trips and when I am visiting Rachel's parents.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Monday I ate a funny little chinese-style hotdog with bun (from King Fong) wrapped around it

Boy, you are a brave soul... I went into King Fong a year ago and the stench almost bowled me over. Place has an overall filthy, unmaintained apperance as well. Don't know how it passes the health inspections.

agreed. one visit to King Fung was enough for me. it took weeks to get that smell out of my head.

For an immaculate Asian store, I would head over to Han Ah Reum in Ridgefield. It's a little further, but a lot safer on the digestive tract... (No smell in the store either).

AMEN Menton, Tommy and Jason, amen... hubby and I walked through (like we do once or twice a month) and held our breath/walked quickly through the seafood area. :blink:

I definitely would NOT buy fresh (heh yeah using THAT term lightly :hmmm: ) seafood, poultry, meats etc from any asian non-chain grocery. :huh: I think someone in the health department and also maybe some other department needs to get over there!

However their packaged (regular and frozen), canned foods, and veggies are good and the turnover is very fast. I don't know how they pass inspection either at some of these stores (even check out indian and other ethnic stores!) and most of the stuff is not labeled in English at all so it is guess work if you can't find someone who knows or if you don't know yourself.

I got these "buns" on the rack by their pastry area and I saw them being grabbed up and couldn't find my regular ones coming later in the afternoon so I thought being a VERY brave soul I'd try them... they are superb. Also they are the only good chinese supermarket in the area we go to Han ah reum also usually the same day or next day to get our Korean fix as well. :wub: Thanks!

The fresh, raw meats that they sell are the same ones that they use in their own cooked preparations, so if its OK to eat the cooked stuff, why not buy the same raw stuff that it started out as?

I want my food places to be pretty close to immaculate. Judging by the overall smell and ambience at King Fung, it would not surprise me that if food fell on the floor, they would just throw it right back in the pot.

I'll either do without, or go elsewhere where I feel it's clean and relatively odor-free. Call me eccentric.

The fresh, raw meats that they sell are the same ones that they use in their own cooked preparations, so if its OK to eat the cooked stuff, why not buy the same raw stuff that it started out as?

Because presumably the turnover is higher with the cooked. Especially with pork-based goods, since they eat a lot more of it than beef and other meats. I can certainly tell you that from the roast char sui that I've bought at King Fung, it compares very favorably from the best stuff I've bought in NYC chinatown.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Because presumably the turnover is higher with the cooked. Especially with pork-based goods, since they eat a lot more of it than beef and other meats. I can certainly tell you that from the roast char sui that I've bought at King Fung, it compares very favorably from the best stuff I've bought in NYC chinatown.

one might assume that they cook the raw stuff they're about to get rid of.

tasty doesn't always mean safe. caveat emptor.

So what's everyone eating today?

For lunch I had 1/2 of a club sandwich -- turkey, roast beast and provolone. It was from a place called I "heart" bagels. Funny that bagels are such a small part of their menu.

edited because my brain forgot which their/there was which. duh!

Edited by Beth E. (log)

HI Beth! Where is I heart bagels?

Hasn't killed me yet.

Oy vey! I had to research it -- I heart Bagels is on the Blvd in Kenilworth NJ. They deliver to my office. I've never been inside and quite frankly I'm afraid to check out the physical location.

Thanks! My best friend next to my husband, family, dogs (yes in that order!) just started working in Kenilworth on Monday at Schering-Plough and if he ever goes off site to eat I'll tell them to get from there. Do they deliver or do you know anyone in that area that does? I'm sure he'd love to know... even though I'm sure S-P has an onsite cafeteria knowing larger firms. Thanks Beth!

I had those chinese sandwiches for lunch and "steamed buns and hoisin" for supper with a can of soda... nothing really exciting, I figure I'll order tomorrow if I don't feel like anymore chinese mini-lunches. :laugh:

UGH I buy and eat NOTHING they would MAKE there at any "non-chain" asian type market...you'd have to be a bit "off" yourself if you did seeing how sanitary some of them are. I know that it is very bacterial if they smell, and some smell quite frequently and quite pungent. :huh:

I buy the markets "wrapped" or pre-packaged stuff from off-site.

blink.gif Ewww I have had Acute Gastro or salmonella... don't know which but trust me it was NOT good (most likely from a fast food restaurant in paramus angry.gif ) was hospitalized for 6 days and I was VERY sick! I do NOT want to try that again. wacko.gif sad.gif

However that being said check out their restrooms also (for hot water, soap etc.) they say that is a telling sign sometimes.

Saturday my roomie and I picked up some stuff at Boston Market - roast chicken and the a la carte turkey, which is usually good. We get several meals from it. But this time it was pretty bad.

Sunday night a friend and I went to Qing Feng in Linden for the buffet - it's under 10 bucks and there are some good items including peanut butter chicken, chinese buns (donuts), ginger scallion crab and steamed snow crab legs. I only eat about 5 or 6 of the items from the buffet (the ones I know I like a lot) and then I get plate after plate of the crab legs. (They only have the crab legs after 5 pm)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Sunday

Dinner at Tinga in Upper Montclair, I had Shrimp Tacos, Wife had No Carb Steak Cheese and Spinach, Kid had B-B-Q Chicken Nachos, Shared Guacamole & Sweet Potato Soufflé, also creamy black beans. Wine: Red and Green Zinfandel from California.

Monday

Breakfast, 3 Espressos Granola and Rice Dream

Lunch, Sandwiches brought in to the office and Pea Soup leftovers

Dinner, at home Spaghetti and Meat Balls, "Brown Rice Spaghetti" Salad Wine: Firriato Chiaramonte Nero D' Avelo

Tuesday

Breakfast 2 Espressos, Granola Bar

Lunch, Fish and Chips at Landmark in Livingston

Dinner: at home, a Greek Style Chicken with Oregano and a Roasted Red Pepper Yogurt Sauce, Asparagus, Wine: 2004 Cantina del Taburno Greco

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Landmark in Livingston

WOW that brings back memories! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I forgot about that place!

Today I skipped breakfast

Ordered lunch from Picnic in Emerson a little bit ago, Dan answered the phone patiently, I'm in a mood today so it was nice to talk to someone kind! I ordered their steak sandwich (gosh it's good!) :raz: and for supper I pre-ordered from them

(to test Chef Christine's comment that they have good egg salad... and the fact that I hate to really cook!) a big egg salad sandwich with bacon for suppertime.

Tomorrow I'll try to get out of if the weather isn't too bad, I've had a weird craving for Nathan's and I haven't had any Nathan's since the early 80's (blasphemy?!) so I'll wander down to the parkway rest-area which is nearby in Montvale and pick up 2 dogs and some fries if I get out... if not I'll have to order some chinese food! :shock:

After being snowed in yesterday I wanted to start the week out right today!

For lunch from Picnic in Emerson: “The Paint and Paper” — also known as a Godfather. Fresh mozzarella, roast beef, jus, garlic butter on a round roll. $6.50

AND (for lunch tomorrow)

“Emerson Dental” — grilled chicken breast, whole wheat bread, avocado, lettuce, tomato hint of fat free dressing. $6 * My version -regular tomato (due to allergies! and instead with sundried tomato and some smoky bacon YUMMY!) :biggrin:

Tomorrow we go out for a little buffet lunch in Hackensack on the border the little chinese/italian all you can eat joint with my co-workers. :wub:

What are you having for lunch for Valentines day? Reach out and hug someone!

:rolleyes::wub::biggrin::laugh::biggrin::wub::rolleyes:

lunch today is from I love Bagels in Kenilworth. Anonymouze -- They do deliver.

I'm getting the Bella Basil Chicken Sandwich -- fresh grilled chicken with provolone cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, basil pesto spread on a roll. served with pickle and chips. It's a lunch special so you get jello, rice pudding or chocolate pudding with it. It's $6.25.

johnnybird and i went out for lunch for valentine's day - and to get him out of the office for a bit. went to Hot Rod's BBQ in Wharton. i had the brisket wrap with wasabi mayo and coleslaw with a mug of otter creek copper's ale(hey, i'm not working today) and johnnybird had the pulled pork sandwich with the fries and water with lemon which he adds sugar to to make "lemonade".

john couldn't believe how crispy/fluffy the fries were and he inhaled the sandwich. i can only manage half the wrap but i love the play of the smoky beef with the mayo and the lettuce in the wrap. i do have to say that the slaw today was the best - sweet and crunchy.

tonight - making crab stuffed shrimp and haricot verts

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites