• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PIZZA CLUB 2006

MarketStEl

i have no location preference either way... we'll end up hitting the other sections of the city eventually anyway. afternoons are preferred on my end, but there's no such thing as a bad time to eat pizza so bring it on!

Edited by jwjon1 (log)

I can't bring myself to even taste anything at Uno.  I ate there once, in the 1980s, and got violent food poisoning.  The memory is too horrible for words.

Uno's on 2nd St closed about 18 months ago and is now Kildare Irish Pub. Center City is Pizzerio Uno free.

Steve R

See this article in this week's City Paper. Not sure I agree with some of them. But It's certainly relevant to this string.

SteveR

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2006-07-13/food.shtml

Yeppers, and I see this beer-and-pizza tour d'horizon includes two places on the Review Tour itinerary, Mama Palma and Celebre's, plus a couple of places where it has been recommended we visit, the Grey Lodge and Tony's down the street. Since there remain places in the Northeast that have yet to be reviewed, perhaps we can add these off-list stops to the next Northeast swing.

"The Best House Pizzeria"? Obviously, The Wurst House in U-City has changed hands. I'd always wondered what a pizza joint was doing with a name that suggested you were going to find German fare inside anyway.

As for the crack about middle-aged guys Rollerblading down Spruce with wristpads: Would he rather we all got Hoverounds already?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

"The Best House Pizzeria"?  Obviously, The Wurst House in U-City has changed hands.  I'd always wondered what a pizza joint was doing with a name that suggested you were going to find German fare inside anyway.

I used to live around the corner from the Wurst House, and I can confirm that you'd have to be high to consider the pizza anywhere near the best of anything. Unless the new owners have really improved the product, it's totally typical greasy Greek-style pizza.

Ditto Lickety Split (so that's what it's called; it's in my current neighborhood and I'd never noticed a name). It's completely forgettable.

It's easy to imagine that the Grey Lodge has good pizza; on our Northeast pizza trip we skipped the food and went straight for the beer there. (When was that trip? 2005? 2004?)

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

I can't bring myself to even taste anything at Uno.  I ate there once, in the 1980s, and got violent food poisoning.  The memory is too horrible for words.

Uno's on 2nd St closed about 18 months ago and is now Kildare Irish Pub. Center City is Pizzerio Uno free.

Steve R

Yeah!

In previous Pizza Clubs we have split CC into East and West; ist the only way to do it.  I'm all for more South Philly stops.  That is the real pizza treasure trove of the city, IMHO.

Ditto, on both splitting CC and South Philly as the king of pizza joints.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Okay, the votes are in, and it's South Philly by an overwhelming margin.

Proposed itinerary:

If I wanted to make this convenient for myself--and why not?--I'd start this trip at Wolf Street Pizza (2135 Wolf Street; 1992 winner), which is very close to the Route 37 bus, and proceed from there to Russo's (1429 Jackson; best Sicilian pie, 1991) before concluding at Celebre's (1536 Packer Avenue; four-time winner--1983 [white pie], 1987, 1989 ["good old pizza"] and 1995 [city]). If we get a large enough crowd, we could conceivably add Joe-Joe's Pizza and Variety (2000 South 12th; 1993 regional winner) to this stop, or we could wait to hit that place with the Italian Market winners. This itinerary also has the added benefit of getting what looks like the evening's disappointment (based on AOL Cityguide member ratings) out of the way first.

How does Tuesday 7/25 look for you all? 7:30 pm start time?

Proposed itinerary:

If I wanted to make this convenient for myself--and why not?--I'd start this trip at Wolf Street Pizza (2135 Wolf Street; 1992 winner), which is very close to the Route 37 bus, and proceed from there to Russo's (1429 Jackson; best Sicilian pie, 1991) before concluding at Celebre's (1536 Packer Avenue; four-time winner--1983 [white pie], 1987, 1989 ["good old pizza"] and 1995 [city]).  If we get a large enough crowd, we could conceivably add Joe-Joe's Pizza and Variety (2000 South 12th; 1993 regional winner) to this stop, or we could wait to hit that place with the Italian Market winners.  This itinerary also has the added benefit of getting what looks like the evening's disappointment (based on AOL Cityguide member ratings) out of the way first.

How does Tuesday 7/25 look for you all?  7:30 pm start time?

Proposed itinerary:

If I wanted to make this convenient for myself--and why not?--I'd start this trip at Wolf Street Pizza (2135 Wolf Street; 1992 winner), which is very close to the Route 37 bus, and proceed from there to Russo's (1429 Jackson; best Sicilian pie, 1991) before concluding at Celebre's (1536 Packer Avenue; four-time winner--1983 [white pie], 1987, 1989 ["good old pizza"] and 1995 [city]).  If we get a large enough crowd, we could conceivably add Joe-Joe's Pizza and Variety (2000 South 12th; 1993 regional winner) to this stop, or we could wait to hit that place with the Italian Market winners.  This itinerary also has the added benefit of getting what looks like the evening's disappointment (based on AOL Cityguide member ratings) out of the way first.

How does Tuesday 7/25 look for you all?  7:30 pm start time?

Sounds good to me.

I usually work on Tuesday evenings, so I might have to miss this one. If it were moved to Wed. or Thursday evening or a weekend I'd be totally in, though.

But don't worry none about 'lil 'ol me. There's plenty of future pizza for me to partake in... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well, I'd love to have you along for the next installment, and for me during the summer, Thursday is Friday anyway, so I'd be willing to entertain moving it to a Thursday.

But I have a prior commitment on July 27, so it would have to be either Friday the 28th or Thursday, Aug. 2.

Back to you...

Well, I'd love to have you along for the next installment, and for me during the summer, Thursday is Friday anyway, so I'd be willing to entertain moving it to a Thursday.

But I have a prior commitment on July 27, so it would have to be either Friday the 28th or Thursday, Aug. 2.

Back to you...

......or maybe Thursday August 3? :rolleyes:

Edited to add that July 27 would work well for me...... Dentist appointment on the 3rd!

Sorry about that. Edited again to correct my date to July 28th..... heh....... :smile: I'd probably be OK after the dentist on Aug. 3rd but I had something else to do after that.

Edited by JanMcBaker (log)
"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

I said I had a prior commitment on the 27th, so if we had it that week, it would have to be on Friday the 28th.

Oops! Posted this before noting Jan's dental appointment. Do you think your teeth will still be aching by the evening of the 3rd?

How's the 28th with everybody? Nota bene that it's a Friday. If you'd rather leave your weekends free to follow your own pursuits, let's try for 8/3.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

I guess my participation in the Pizza Club will have to wait again. We are leaving for a weeding in Bermuda on August 3rd.

It should be a lot cooler at the next outing and hopefully I can make it.

Enjoy the pizza and have fun.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I will be away at the Oregon Brewers Festival in Portland from 7/27-30, and will be trying the city's highest-rated pizza joint, Apizza Scholls, a mere hour after I land. One has to have one's priorities straight!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

As a side note-- something perhaps to keep in mind for a regular, 'trying out pizza places' tour in NE Philadelphia-- I was driving home from work the other day and happened to see a sign in the window of Salerno's Pizza. It's on Verree Rd. just south of Rhawn. Anyways, the sign said they had kielbasa pizza! I thought that sounded interesting.....

Edited to add that it turns out I am available for August 3 pizza outing......

Edited by JanMcBaker (log)
"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

In case you hadn't noticed yet, the next Pizza Club outing is up on the eG Calendar.

Date: Thursday, Aug. 3

Time: 7 pm

Start: Wolf Street Pizza, 2135 Wolf Street, South Philadelphia

Itinerary: As described in Post 109.

If you can make it and haven't let me know yet, please PM me.

We interupt this thread for a brief message from the management.

Please, no more "I can make it's" or "I can't make it's." They should all happen by PM or email. This thread is for planning and digestion.

Thanks and we now return you to the Pizza Club.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Yeah, Jan, we will have to check out that kielbasa pizza sometime soon.

In the meantime, here's advance warning:

Since I talked up this project to the owner last night, I think our next foray will have to include NYPD Pizza (2005 Philadelphia County winner and the second-best thin crust pizza I've had here, #1 being Tacconelli's).

The owner, Guy Parente, told me he had no idea he had won a "Best of Philly"--or even what Philadelphia magazine was, as he is a recent transplant from Bensonhurst--until people started coming into his shop and saying, "You got the best pizza in Philly!"

He said, "I'd say 'Thank you, I appreciate that.' I had no idea what they were talking about." Eventually, a customer clued him in.

The award has been good for his business--it took off after the magazine hit the newsstands. (Edited to add: He had been in business for about six months when the winners were announced. The editors must have heard about the place from their friends.)

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Last Friday I tried a place called Alex's at Leverington & Pechin, about three blocks from Ridge Ave in Roxborough. Tasty thin crust & cheese, and a sauce that tasted like Franzone's without the added sugar.

Also, if you're ever on Springfield Rd in Clifton Heights, try Gaetano's (Delco Daily Times best of Delco 6 consecutive years). They make a homemade sauce and their crust is thicker than a thin-crust but has a thin-crust consistency. I recommend it highly. Also, gas at the nearby corner of Providence & Springfield roads is consistently cheaper than anywhere I've seen. I saw cars lined up at the Wawa waiting in line for gas that cost more than that selling at P & S Rds with no lines.