• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Coming to Manhattan!

No, you can get actual artichokes (in season, of course).  :wink:

Well, you could also buy roasted and processed coffee, or you could go to the tropics to see the actual tree, but I prefer the already-processed product. It's somehting like that with artichoke hearts, as well.

I'll give you that. Triming artichokes is a pain in the %&$#. :biggrin:

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 1 month later...

It's tiiiime...the Times is running a piece on the new Manhattan Trader Joe's in today's Dining and Wine section.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Don’t know what all the fuss about Trader Joe’s is. Out here in CA, so-called foodies rave about it. I’ve tried TJ twice and have been severely disappointed in their quality. On one visit, bargain spaghetti packages on the shelves were full of broken noodles. The color was off—white and powdery. When I tried to cook a package, it took forever: it was just too old. I threw the other noodles away, uncooked. I tried TJ’s private label olive oil. It was just green-colored bland cooking oil; I threw it out. Maple syrup is lauded by many; it’s awfully thin and weak tasting. Threw that out too. TJ’s is the only store where I’ve had to throw away product.

Many years ago I purchased truckloads of food to supply soup kitchens and social service agencies. A food broker once explained the quality/cost differences of various grades of canned beans. If I remember, there were about 6 different quality grades. At the top were the Green Giants of the canned veg world. I don’t eat canned food myself, but the highest grade had bright color, uniform shape, and snapped like a real bean. For budget reasons, we purchased a truckload of the middle grade. We just couldn’t bring ourselves to buy the lowest grade of canned green beans, which were mushy, smelly, and off color. Those cans contained only bits and pieces. The broker’s sample cans of lowest-end beans were labeled with Trader Joe’s private label. Haven’t been to Trader Joe’s since. Their product quality was lower than that used by the very poor! Funny, really, when you see TJ’s parking lot full of euro cars and well-groomed white people.

If you’re a real cook accustomed to fresh ingredients and you care about the source of the organic vegetables you trim and cook creatively, TJ is not for you. Interesting to see who, in the center of the universe that is NY, will become the next generation of TJ fanatics.

crosparantoux, I'm not sure how much I buy your example. How is it that a bulk food broker had samples with a proprietary private label to offer you? Wouldn't that be illegal in California? I'm also curious as to whether those who buy from Trader Joes can substantiate your claim that their canned beans are "mushy, smelly, and off color . . . [containing] only bits and pieces."

--

I have shopped at two "Joe's" in the tri-state area

Danbury CT and Eastchester (on RT 22)NY.

While I do not have much negative to say, I can't really rave about em either.

Somehow I do not get the hype.

TJ's doesn't seem to provide anything I can't find at even local chain supermarkets like Stop and Shop, let alone specialty markets.

The quality of their TJ's own stuff seems to be good but no better than any number of store brands available in the area.

Even the list of items the Times singles out under "Joe's draws" are nothing special or all that unique.--these are the ten best selling items?

Stop and Shop, Stew Leonard's, Wholefoods, all carry a much wider more consistent inventory.

I wouldn't not shop TJ's (I will continue to stop in now and then) but IMOP the TJ's hype is unwarranted and hard to explain.

Edited by JohnL (log)

One good thing about Trader Joe's is their satisfaction guarantee... if you get something you don't like, they'll refund your money. If I got smelly bean pieces, or decomposing pasta, or green tinted motor oil from them, they'd see both it and me again, with my hand out.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

One good thing about Trader Joe's is their satisfaction guarantee... if you get something you don't like, they'll refund your money.  If I got smelly bean pieces, or decomposing pasta, or green tinted motor oil from them, they'd see both it and me again, with my hand out.

I know of no market around here (NYC) that won't do that.

Again--I see nothing that TJ's offers that is not found in other places.

Quality?

What I see is ok--again most all the TJ's stuff is good but no better than that of many store brands.

Somehow the quirky atmosphere and inconsistent inventory plays a role in creating an image

that TJ's is "special"--they really IMOP are not.

"How is it that a bulk food broker had samples with a proprietary private label to offer you? Wouldn't that be illegal in Califorinia?"

There is a level of food brokering that moves overstock product. When brokers showed samples, some cans were unlabeled, some with labels. When we made the purchase, original labels were stripped and a generic was applied. Not a canned food consumer myself, I could only judge by appearance, not taste.

It is definitely illegal in California to SELL any canned item with a proprietary label to any food company.

Companies who OWN the label can and do DONATE canned goods to charity but those goods may not be resold. If the broker offered goods with the TJ label for sale that is a felony.

I have volunteered many times at our local food bank and the local senior citizen's center who receive donations from local markets, including TJs. They are happy to get them. I have been using TJs canned vegetables since they were still Pronto Markets, and I have never found inferior products. I opened a can of TJs green beans (which I use quite often) last Saturday and found they were greener than most canned green beans, there was more vegetable and less water than in most brands. The corn is also of excellent quality.

I am quite particular about the quality of the canned vegetables I use and it disturbs me that you can make such remarks.

If you were buying bulk food product, why would you be buying regular sized cans of green beans. When I was catering, I bought the large cans. TJs have never been marketed in anything except the regular small cans.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If TJs quality is so bad, then why are so many communities begging for a store to open in their area. These are people who drive a long way to shop at TJs and if there was something wrong, they wouldn't spend the money on gas, which is usually higher here in California than just about anywhere else except Hawaii.

For instance there is this article regarding Chula Vista.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If TJs quality is so bad, then why are so many communities begging for a store to open in their area.  These are people who drive a long way to shop at TJs and if there was something wrong, they wouldn't spend the money on gas, which is usually higher here in California than just about anywhere else except Hawaii. 

For instance there is this article regarding Chula Vista.

andiesenji.

you bring up a good poing. i'd love to hear what other people think about t.j.'s quality. i have found that their products are hit-and-miss. thankfully, most of the misses can be identified by sight... i'm very selective with the products i buy there. that being said, i do find they afford excellent value for the products that are good (e.g. dried fruits, capers, and some vinegars and other sauces...). in my experience, where t.j.'s is good, they can be very good. where their products are questionable, i avoid (e.g. pre-packaged snacks, candies and produce).

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

. Out here in CA, so-called foodies rave about it. I’ve tried TJ twice and have been severely disappointed in their quality. ality was lower than that used by the very poor!  Funny, really, when you see TJ’s parking lot full of euro cars and well-groomed white people.

If you’re a real cook accustomed to fresh ingredients and you care about the source of the organic vegetables you trim and cook creatively, TJ is not for you. Interesting to see who, in the center of the universe that is NY, will become the next genhing like the Harroeration of TJ fanatics.

Golly, crosparantoux, you're judging Trader Joe's by its canned green beans? Sorry about the pasta, but I like the maple syrup, which I buy only when the sirop I buy from the Ottawa farmer's market runs out. And the olive oil is good value. Have you bought anything recently -- I believe TJs changes vendors frequently.

In California I haven't found that "so-called foodies" rave about it - we're not talking D and D or an organic Farmers Market here. In LA people like my daughter treat it like the old-fashioned corner grocery store, if that dusty venue had received a makeover from the Fun Fairy. Good cheese, fabulous snacks savoury and sweet, an interesting wine selection, pretty flowers at a good price, great frozen fish (yes, I said that) and delicious frozen gateaux -- from France-- at the price of a fast food lunch.

The frozen green beans are slim and tender, and imported from France, at less than you'll pay for Birdseye. That's a huge part of the kick of TJs: people, it's, well, cheap for all this food and fun. A satisfying trip there will hardly make a dent in the food budget.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

A satisfying trip there will hardly make a dent in the food budget.

LOL........

except, if you don't go frequently, it is like CostCo. You never know when things will disappear so you need to buy them all RIGHT NOW !

The 'low cost' items add up to $100 in no time ! (Worth it.......)

Just got some Lemon Balsamic vinegar and some Stilton w/ ginger and mango (for $4 less a lb than my local cheese shop), herb salad mix (so easy) and the yummy Mediterranean Greek Yogurt (Cheese style) to have with fruit.......and the crunchy little Savory Rounds.......

wish I had one closer than 1/2 hr.........

If TJs quality is so bad, then why are so many communities begging for a store to open in their area. 

andiesenji.

you bring up a good poing. i'd love to hear what other people think about t.j.'s quality. i have found that their products are hit-and-miss. thankfully, most of the misses can be identified by sight... i'm very selective with the products i buy there. that being said, i do find they afford excellent value for the products that are good (e.g. dried fruits, capers, and some vinegars and other sauces...). in my experience, where t.j.'s is good, they can be very good. where their products are questionable, i avoid (e.g. pre-packaged snacks, candies and produce).

u.e.

There is this about TJs, if you have a problem with an item and take it back to the store, they will refund your money, no questions asked. If you have a suggestion about something you would like to see them carry, they will take the information and check on it and if feasible they will give it a try. If it works, it will become a staple. Try that at Vons, Ralphs or Albertsons, they will laugh in your face.

Several years ago some friends and I got together and wrote TJs about the popularity of Chai, and how difficult it was to find a good mix that was reasonably priced.

The chai mixes are now a staple at TJs.

I have friends who love their coffees because they offer a sample cup of a different variety every day and there is no limit to how many of the little cups you can have. They are not super high end coffees, but they are certainly better than the regular supermarket variety and reasonably priced.

One can pick any retailer to pieces and find something they don't like but if one shops at TJs on a regular basis, one learns what works and what doesn't for them.

I happen to love the free-range brown eggs, when I can't get eggs from our local egg man. They are always fresh - the yolks are deep yellow and stand up high and the white is thick and doesn't run all over the pan. As of February 1 this year, they no longer buy eggs from battery caged chickens. This is significant as TJs sells a lot of eggs.

Just noticed the sign posted last week. I'm surprised by the location of the new Trader Joe's -- 14th and north of 3rd Avenue. East of 3rd Ave around 14th St. is not a very affluent neighborhood. The businesses between 2nd and 3rd come and go, and then it bleeds into the Stuyvesant and NYU 'hoods. In fact, there's a supermarket on that block that barely made a go of its business. However, it would be nice to see that block become more gentrified if business can trickle further east.

I'm surprised that TJ's didn't choose a location further west or on the Upper East or West Side. Looks like they have a very big horizonal footprint, though -- as opposed to Whole Foods, which had to build its store vertically. TJ's probably will be more comfortable to shop as a result. I guess the real estate must have been more affordable compared to other, more affluent neighborhoods.

Just noticed the sign posted last week. I'm surprised by the location of the new Trader Joe's -- 14th and north of 3rd Avenue. East of 3rd Ave around 14th St. is not a very affluent neighborhood. The businesses between 2nd and 3rd come and go, and then it bleeds into the Stuyvesant and NYU 'hoods. In fact, there's a supermarket on that block that barely made a go of its business. However, it would be nice to see that block become more gentrified if business can trickle further east. 

I'm surprised that TJ's didn't choose a location further west or on the Upper East or West Side. Looks like they have a very big horizonal footprint, though -- as opposed to Whole Foods, which had to build its store vertically. TJ's probably will be more comfortable to shop as a result. I guess the real estate must have been more affordable compared to other, more affluent neighborhoods.

Interesting...you also have to wonder how much real estate is left in the immediate Union Square vicinity for a large store like TJ's...though if what's being said above is true, that TJ's is a sort of cheaper alternative to the gourmet market, then its location may make sense.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I've shopped in a variety of TJs in several states-CA, NY, CT and others-probably about 8 different stores. Each store is a little different in its selection.

However, I love the place.

I don't go there to buy everything I need, but for staples in our household kitchen, the place can't be beat.

Their prices and quality are terrific. Their private label items are contracted directly with high quality established manufacturers. They pay cash for each delivery-no extended terms-therefore the manufacturer gives them a better price, the middleman is cut out, the product is fresher and consumers pay less for the product. For example-go to Whole Foods and buy a box of Fantastic Foods Instant Refried Black Beans (I know, you food snob folks will think it an abomination, but it's really a very good product) for 2.99. Then go to TJs and buy their identical product for 1.79. It's manufactured by FF under the TJ private label. Same thing, better price.

Training for the employees is extensive and focuses on customer service-not really a high point in most NYC stores, I must say.

The packages of dried fruit and nuts are great and a great price.

Also, French Bleu D'auvergne cheese for 4.99.lb when everyone else sells it for 9.99? I'm going to TJs.

A few other superlative products w/ great prices-spiced chunky apple sauce, the peanut butter, marionberry preserves (wow!) the olive oil selection, greek yogurt, rice noodles, soy sauce (produced for TJs by San-j) organic chicken and vegetable broth(WF 3.99 TJ 1.99)

I usually do not by fresh produce there, but go for the staples.

If any one is going to draw similarities to Wal-Mart-look no further than Whole Foods. They engage in aggressive predatory marketing where ever they open. They look for communities that already sustain quality independent natural food stores (who buy from local produce growers), open within a mile or two, drive the established markets out with initially lower prices, then raise their prices afterward. This happened in my home town and another place I know of.

I think WF produce in NYC is marginal quality at best-they just make a big show of their high priced, average stuff. Also in NYC, they carry no bulk items what so ever. Do I really have to buy my brown rice in 12 ounc increments? Not this girl.

As a stylist who needs impeccable quality WF is my last stop when looking for the good stuff.

Edited by Pyewacket (log)

I am still trying to figure out what is so special about Trader Joe's.

After reading this thread I am beginning to develop a theory!

First--I have shopped at two locations here on the East Coast. I have nothing really negative to say about them but I also do not see where TJ's stands out.

I am not very experienced with markets on the west Coast but after reading a few posts here it appears that the quality there (West) vs what we have here is very different.

In comparing TJ's to the locals in both the city and the suburbs: Stop and Shop, Stew Leonard's, Balducci's (both the city and the old Hayday markets in the suburbs), several of the better A and P's (Westchester and Putnam), Wholefoods to name a few.

I find that TJ's falls short in the depth of offerings and the consistency--there simply is not much that TJ's offers that I can not find at these other outlets and a lot that they have that TJ's does not.

As for pricing--TJ's is good but I do not see a great difference here either. overall quality--ranges like prices--but again--I do not see TJ's having any significant advantages.

In fact--much of what TJ's offers is identical--most dairy products--to what I can get at most/all these places.

The packaged meats --at TJ's--small selection and ok quality--Nieman products are available all over the place here and also have lost a bit of their luster.

the fish at TJ's are all frozen--they do have good shrimp at a good price--but again so do other markets. And most other markets here carry fresh fish.

The prepared stuff--again ok--but not even close to what Balducci's (Hayday) are offering or even Stew Leonard's.

bulk nuts and dried fruits--Stew Leonard is loaded with this stuff--in a wider selection too.

I am coming to the conclusion that TJ's found a niche out west (that may not exist here) and developed a "cult" following.

They are fine in a neighborhood with not a lot of choice in the immediate area (competition).

IMOP--TJ's is more reminiscent of a good Korean corner market than a major food retailer here.

They should do ok here --if they get their locations down-- but all the hype and the raves are IMOP unjustified.

One interesting thing to note, JohnL, is that the stores you're comparing it are all in the 'burbs. I grew up going to Stew Leonard's (Stewie Baby's, we called it), and Hay Day (well before it was a Balducci's) was one of the two primary markets we shopped in (the other being Poricelli's in Old Greenwich, which was where all the neighborhood gossiping took place).

However, here in the city, we don't have a place like TJ's, where a variety of cheap gourmet-ish goods are all rounded up and sold in one place. We have places where lots of not-so-cheap stuff is available (especially Zabar's, The Vinegar Factory, Whole Foods, etc.), and places where specialized cheaper stuff is available, but not all kinds of it in one place.

Maybe TJ's is counting on this - all this stuff in one place - to make it a success in an already food-saturated market. Maybe they're banking on the idea that New Yorkers are fed up with shopping the European way (going to a bunch of different places to get the different things they need for a good price) and are ready to turn suburban.

I'm not, though I'll still check it out to see if there's anything worth trekking down to 14th and 3rd for.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

One interesting thing to note, JohnL, is that the stores you're comparing it are all in the 'burbs.  I grew up going to Stew Leonard's (Stewie Baby's, we called it), and Hay Day (well before it was a Balducci's) was one of the two primary markets we shopped in (the other being Poricelli's in Old Greenwich, which was where all the neighborhood gossiping took place).

However, here in the city, we don't have a place like TJ's, where a variety of cheap gourmet-ish goods are all rounded up and sold in one place.  We have places where lots of not-so-cheap stuff is available (especially Zabar's, The Vinegar Factory, Whole Foods, etc.), and places where specialized cheaper stuff is available, but not all kinds of it in one place.

Maybe TJ's is counting on this - all this stuff in one place - to make it a success in an already food-saturated market.  Maybe they're banking on the idea that New Yorkers are fed up with shopping the European way (going to a bunch of different places to get the different things they need for a good price) and are ready to turn suburban.

I'm not, though I'll still check it out to see if there's anything worth trekking down to 14th and 3rd for.

The city is even more competitive.

not only are there large food courts and market/supermarkets but there are myriad specialty food retailers.

This discussion--I believe--has to do with population density and food shopping habits.

My point is TJ's has a reputation or almost cultish following developed on the West Coast.

It won't necessarily translate here.

I also believe it is out of proportion with what TJ's really is.

TJ's is competing here in suburbs and in the city (soon).

As for pricing--let's see if TJ's can offer lower prices that competitors here--where overhead is high.

Also prices vary wildly--there is no one who offers low prices across the board anywhere around here so it is impossible to get into meaningful price comparisons--remember the caviar wars the parmesan wars.

also--people will trade off/balance price for convenience so this may be a somewhat over rated factor.

Quality--I have no major complaint with TJ's here--for the most part--however I seriously doubt that they offer higher quality than any number of markets in the city or the suburbs.

Most all of TJ's stuff is prepackaged, frozen etc. (maybe they will offer fresh in Manhattan--we'll see). Here in the city and the suburbs there is an abundance of fresh meats and sea food--everyone offers these.

let's remember that the traditional supermarkets here--Dag etc are improving their acts--it is amazing how quickly the local Dag Responded to the opening of the TW center Whole Foods.

As I see it--TJ's offers good quality but more on a par with the better generic/store brands etc.

For eg--if I want a generic package of english muffins or pre packaged generic white bread etc TJ's has em and they are good. Wholefoods has a pretty broad selection of fresh bread from the Sullivan St Bakery and I would say their prepackaged stuff is as good as what TJ's has.

Yes the products at TJ's are fresher but fresher than what--the packaged stuff at the A and P?

That's what I mean-it is all relative.

Selection--no contest--TJ's is almost quirky to a fault here.

People often stop in and buy stuff they weren't intending to because beyond a relatively few basic items the inventory is inconsistent. It is sorta like Loehman's maybe they got what you are looking for maybe not....but everything is cheap!

The interesting thing here is TJ's is not the place to shop when you have a list of ingredients for your dinner party that night--they are more a place to stop in and buy milk or eggs a bag of pistachios and see what interesting packaged or frozen stuff they got. Again the way we shop Loehmans etc. for clothing.

So--I would say that TJ's is what it is.

If you are used to buying pre packaged meat or frozen salmon and bags of basic nuts and dried fruits and store brand bakery items in plastic bags and canned goods and generic olive oil or prepackaged cheeses--TJ's does a good job. Maybe they are even the best at this. I would guess they excel when put up against traditional supermarkets (by the way these are changing so the gap is closing fast).

I would also say that one should be careful about comparing say a TJ's prepackaged wedge of Blue cheese to the similar blue cheese available at Wholefoods or Balducci's at a higher price--the more appropriate comparison is to the Blue cheese at say the A and P.

produce--the Stop and Shop in Danbury has a better selection and the quality is as good as that found at the competing TJ's.

TJ's is in no way a "gourmet" market.

Citarella and Fairway are.

Also-- the service thing.

Yes-I find the staff at TJ's to be nice folks. But when you sell prepackaged stuff other than a nice demeanor what is required?

The butchers and fish mongers behind the counters at Citarella are nice too and they perform a service.

I know of no market that won't refund your money or won't listen to your suggestions.

So one can offer criticisms of every market--no one is perfect.

I just do not see where TJ's is anything special.

If one is looking for novelty or quirkiness they got it in spades. But let's not elevate Joe's to something they aren't.

In the NY area we have long had a number of good supermarkets, and specialty shops and yes, gourmet shops available to us.

TJ's --I believe--is an answer to the traditional supermarket and that's is where the comparison is more valid. Here TJ's does well/better with quality and prices--they still lose most every time with range of selections etc.

So maybe they will do well here in the city--they seem to be doing ok in the burbs--but NYers can be considered spoiled when it comes to food options (and jaded).

It will be interesting.

I think branding plays a huge part, as well.

Dag's may have "improved their act," as you put it - but it's amazing how many people will still shop at a more expensive store (not that Dag's is cheap, I can find better for cheaper a lot of places) for the cachet or the feeling/atmosphere/ambience. I wonder if TJ's will be able to establish a brand here in the city?

ETA:

The city is even more competitive.

I agree, though I would argue that the market here is competitive in different ways. Even our "large" stores are, on the whole, far smaller than what you find in the suburbs. I would be interested to find out if TJ's plans on opening multiple locations if this first one is a hit, and where they would plan on doing that.

For instance, I might wander into Whole Foods now and again to check things out, or buy one thing, but I never make a trip exclusively to visit it, since none of its locations are convenient to me. How will TJ's market itself? As a destination? Or as a local market with plans to open more stores?

I have no stake in this, having shopped at a TJ's (the one in Darien) exactly once, and I don't plan on frequenting the one in the Village when it opens. I guess I'm less concerned with "it's good/it's not" and more interested in their business model and how it might work in NYC.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Unless you're talking about a place like citarella's, where the fresh fresh is (generally) incredibly fresh and the quality quite high, I actually prefer IQF fish - seems to often have higher quality and freshness.

IMHO.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I think branding plays a huge part, as well.

Dag's may have "cleaned up their act," as you put it - but it's amazing how many people will still shop at a more expensive store (not that Dag's is cheap, I can find better for cheaper a lot of places) for the cachet or the feeling/atmosphere/ambience.  I wonder if TJ's will be able to establish a brand here in the city?

It depends upon what you are talking about.

Comparisons need to be apples to apples literally and figuratively!

TJ's inventory relies heavily on TJ's branded stuff.

If you are looking for a large bottle of "generic" olive oil that is cheap and of good quality then TJ's is fine. A box of granola --TJ's is good too.

Nuts? Dried fruits?

In other words compare TJ's here to other store brands (say Wholefoods 360 products or Pathmark brand etc).

Produce?

TJ's selection (at least at the stores I have been to) is closer in variety to what is offered at the better Korean markets all over Manhattan. quality wise?--maybe better than that at many supermarkets (Stop and Shop IMOP is as good or better).

Some of TJ's stuff may be better than some of WF's offerings but WF kills Joe in variety.

Meat and fish--TJ is prepackaged and or frozen. So compare their stuff to other pre packaged and frozen items.

Even local supermarkets are offering fresh fish and meat (some fresher than others) so ok maybe a TJ's frozen salmon steak is better quality than a poor quality or less than optimally fresh offering at a supermarket. Let's not even be so unfair as to compare Joe's meat and fish to WF let alone Citarella.

The only items at TJ's that are branded (not house brands) and could be considered "gourmet" are things like Niman Ranch pre packaged meats and Aidel's sausages--I really believe many people saw thes items on Joe's shelves and immediately thought--ooooh "gourmet!"--hence the gourmet market label for Joe.

These items are easily found at many of our supermarkets.

So WF--has 360 olive oil Joe has Trader Giotto's--ok we can compare em for price and quality--I have no idea how that plays out!

but

WF also has the wonderful McEvoy Ranch oil and the Laudemmia and a ton of other great brands--selection! Choice--two things NYer's love.

Yes we love cheap too.

No matter how you slice it--Trader Joe's is IMOP just not that special. If you love generic stuff at low prices--they are the place for you!

No matter how you slice it--Trader Joe's is IMOP just not that special. If you love generic stuff at low prices--they are the place for you!

I guess I'm not as interested in the store and whether it's special...more in whether it will catch on. Not-so-special things are a hit here all the time, no matter how picky we like to consider ourselves! :laugh:

ETA: I also think that the fact that you have to compare different pieces of TJ's inventory to things available in a variety of stores sort of backs up the point I was trying to make above - while they may not be bringing anything new or special to the scene in terms of product, there may not be another store where those products are all available under one roof. This, from what I can tell from the other posts on this thread, is part of their appeal.

Queenie Takes Manhattan