• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Coming to Manhattan!

I'm with alacarte on this one (although I went to Whole Foods): tonight at 8:30 pm there was a line to get in TJ. Also, the wine section was open.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

Geez~

WHY are you New Yorkers so THREATENED by TJ's ??

It is not supposed to be the best of everything, it is not supposed to be a substitute for your neighborhood grocery.......!!!!!!!!!!

It is what it is, a fun place to get some good and unusual things at a good price.

GEEZ!!!

Get over it........you are so BORING about this!

Don't go if it offends you, don't expect it to be everything if you do go. DON'T try to spoil it for the ones who WANT to enjoy it.........

:angry:

dockhl: I am reduced to saying: word.

TJ's is about getting fun stuff at a good price.  Geez, how bad can that be?

I think you guys are missin the point.

No one is "afraid" of TJ's.

The point is--Trader Joe's has achieved cult status.

The proof--just google the name.

Also the PR and hype this opening in Manhattan generated

leaves them open to scrutiny.

You now want to deflect that scrutiny with--"gee its just a fun little place with

some neat stuff..what's the big deal?"

That is exactly my sentiment.

The problem is the hype IMOP (and a lot of others) doesn't seem to

jibe with the reality.

No one is saying one shouldn't shop there or that they shouldn't exist.

I think that long lines of people (many dressed in silly outfits) waiting to get into

"simple little fun place" is behavior a little out of synch with reality.

That's all.

So in the end, the discussion is really about just what is TJ's, who are they, and

how is it that so many people are fawning over them?

You may have answered the first question--maybe they are just a place to get some

fun stuff at as good price.

Now --how is it that such a simple place has generated near religious ferver?

Are so many people that starved for "good and unusual things...?"

On second thought--I would definitely not label most of the TJ's inventory as

"unusual." --see!

hard to figure out.

So maybe I should'nt ask questions--I will suspend my inquisitive nature and just have fun!

Think I will put on my Hawiian shirt and go down and stand on line for a half hour--my

cupboard is lookin bare--definitely could use some "good and unusual" things!

Then maybe it is just New York......

in san diego it is a good place to get butter, eggs, cheese and herb salad. No biggie.

There are other fun things at good prices but I don't do my weekly shopping there. Nor does anyone I have ever known. Nor is there a line, or people in Hawaiian shirts (except, after all , it IS San Diego, so there are some non-TJ shirt wearers !)

For you it is a novelty, and that will wear off in a week or two. I personally don't get the hype pro OR con. It is just a store............not a lifestyle!

... showing my age...

Yeah, that's right, pretend to complain about being young.

:raz: Not that green mind you. When did that fairway open? Koch? I seem to have only taken notice when they were joking with the big electronic sign that looks on to the west side highway

Much more recently. Probably within the last five years (when you get old like me, time melts into itself and loses all meaning). Not that long before Dinosaur BBQ opened.

I've been a couple of times midday. No lines to get in, lightning fast pay lines and super nice cashiers.

I'll be going regularly. It's across town from me, so if I don't feel like walking, it's a bus or L train ride, but worth it for the incredible prices and fun, yes FUN, products.

and the BEST frikkin' ginger snaps I have ever had in my life.

Geez~

WHY are you New Yorkers so THREATENED  by TJ's ??

It is not supposed to be the best of everything, it is not supposed to be a substitute for your neighborhood grocery.......!!!!!!!!!!

It is what it is, a fun place to get some good and unusual things at a good price.

GEEZ!!!

Get over it........you are so BORING about this!

Don't go if it offends you, don't expect it to be everything if you do go. DON'T try to spoil it for the ones who WANT to enjoy it.........

:angry:

dockhl,

I have to agree with JohnL about this. It's been superhyped, and there are, quite literally, lines around the block of people waiting to get in to see what that hype is all about. Store employees announce to the crowds waiting outside that the line for the cash registers inside is only 20 minutes long. :huh: You've got to wonder if it's worth it - in this town, time is money, and to most of us, this had better be REALLY good to be worth the bother of waiting in queues for 40 minutes. It's a wildly different shopping experience than yours, I'm sure, for that reason alone.

I'd happily check TJ's out if I could ever get in there, but I'm damned if I'll wait on line to use a grocery store unless they bring back wartime rationing.

dockhl,

I have to agree with JohnL about this.  It's been superhyped, and there are, quite literally, lines around the block of people waiting to get in to see what that hype is all about.  Store employees announce to the crowds waiting outside that the line for the cash registers inside is only 20 minutes long.  :huh:  You've got to wonder if it's worth it - in this town, time is money, and to most of us, this had better be REALLY good to be worth the bother of waiting in queues for 40 minutes.  It's a wildly different shopping experience than yours, I'm sure, for that reason alone. 

I'd happily check TJ's out if I could ever get in there, but I'm damned if I'll wait on line to use a grocery store unless they bring back wartime rationing.

It is a great place to go if you can run in on your way home from work or on a weekend, no more, no less. It should not be a destination..........

:wink:

It is a great place to go if you can run in on your way home from work or on a weekend, no more, no less. It should not be a destination..........

:wink:

Agreed! Let's hope it becomes just another place for New Yorkers to shop.

Sooner rather than later would work for me ...

• 3 weeks later...

The Manhattan edition of Trader Joe's is reviewed in this week's "Critical Shopper" column in the New York Times. Click!

The Manhattan store is, at 15,000 square feet, larger than most of the chain's 253 stores. The place is sensibly laid out. At the back two genial hippie ladies offer samples of smoothies or Moral Fiber muffins depending on the day. For all the talk of lines around the block when the store opened, it appears to have calmed down a bit, judging from my weekday shopping experiences. But friends who live in the neighborhood tell me that weekend shopping is as panicky and crowded as the No. 6 train during rush hour. The store does deliver, but only within a limited distance, and you can't pay extra for delivery beyond those perimeters, which was a disappointment.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I won't wait in line outside a grocery store just to get in the door. I've been in Trader Joe's in places other than NYC and it was okay. They had some excellent private label items that I really liked. And if there was one close to me I'd go there regularly - not for all my shopping but they'd certainly get a fair percentage of my food budget.

And 20 minute lines inside the store? Surely you jest. Wegman's has spoiled me. They have a magical way of producing extra cashiers and openign more registers in synch with customer flow. I don't recall ever waiting more than 3 to 5 minutes to get to the cashier in a Wegman's.

I think the wait is well above 20 minutes these days.

Last time I was there (Sunday) it looked as though TJ's finally responded to the backlash against people waiting to get into the store -- no lines outside.

But the bad news is that the line to get to the cash register is beyond out of control. It literally snaked all around the perimeter of the store on Sunday afternoon, nearly backing right out the door. Really ugly.

In addition to the looooong wait times (30 minutes maybe?) to pay...while your carefully chosen perishables and frozen goods spoil in the cart...it also made it impossible to shop anything located in the outside aisles of the stores (bread...fresh vegetables..meats and specialty foods...etc)

I wheeled right around and left the store. Next!

I think the wait is well above 20 minutes these days.

Last time I was there (Sunday) it looked as though TJ's finally responded to the backlash against people waiting to get into the store -- no lines outside.

But the bad news is that the line to get to the cash register is beyond out of control. It literally snaked all around the perimeter of the store on Sunday afternoon, nearly backing right out the door. Really ugly.

In addition to the looooong wait times (30 minutes maybe?) to pay...while your carefully chosen perishables and frozen goods spoil in the cart...it also made it impossible to shop anything located in the outside aisles of the stores (bread...fresh vegetables..meats and specialty foods...etc)

I wheeled right around and left the store. Next!

Thanks for posting this - I was going to make a stop there this week to check them out. Guess I'll get around to it some day. If. Big if.

I've only been there twice, and I agree, the line is outrageous. However, my tactic is to shop through the middle of the store, then get in line and shop the outside of the store from the line. No one complained when I did it, and I felt more obnoxious when I was trying to reach through the line to shop.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

I made it to the store twice (or should I say IN the store) both times late at night, around 8:30. Both times I did the same as you, Nina, but I didn't really have time to shop while standing in line. It's great to just grab something from the shelf, but there was no time to really look at stuff as the lines moved to quickly.

Also, there's an express line for when you buy only a few things, extremely fast. All in all I don't think it took longer than 10 minutes in line (not the express) - and that's about the same as Whole Foods or my neighborhood supermarket when it's busy.

Sunday evening, around 7 pm there was a line outside - and I won't wait to get in a store.

Also, I heard rumors that they're looking to open in either Queens or Brooklyn. I guess that's why they're taking down zip codes at the register.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

It's true!  Union Square inches even further toward suburbia with the addition of a Trader Joe's on 14th Street (joining Whole Foods, Forever 21, DSW and Filene's Basement, all relatively recent additions).  Have to say, though, I'm pretty psyched about this one...

For all the New Yorkers, whaddya think?

For all those who already shop at TJ's, what should we newbies zoom in on when the doors open this spring?

Here's a link to the item in the NY Times...

Yesterday's New York Times had a piece on how Whole Foods is launching a campaign--advertising etc--to inform people that their prices are not as high as many think.

(maybe someone with some skills can post a link)

Anyway

it was noted that WF prices are not higher than TJ's (or other markets etc).

I am not adverse to chains--they do have some good points/benefits but I believe we are reaching a point where the homogenization is removing the uniqueness of our neighborhoods.

New York is losing its neighborhoods.

The Trader Joe's silliness--much ado about --well not nothing but--certainly not enough to warrant the press and the lines and the.....

is an example of this.

I understand the TJ's (and others) appeal and benefits for the suburbs and smaller communities but I am beginning to wonder if these operations are really that beneficial to a large urban center like New York replacing small individually owned and family owned businesses--the local butcher, baker etc.

The chain thing--is mainly a result of thee higher and rapidly getting higher cost to do business.

So we got one in Union Square and soon maybe Brooklyn and maybe one uptown and then in the Bronx and so on.

Homogenized has its benefits but maybe the one big drawback is a boring world.

I for one am tired of the schtick--the WF healthy items and their altruistic spiel and Trader Joe's quirky offbeat --we're so unhip we're hip attitude to get people to buy generic bulk stuff and weird items--it is all marketing (clever to a degree--yes).

I miss just plain old markets with good stuff specializing in what they do best--and unique neighborhoods.

I wonder if anyone shares these thoughts.

I understand the TJ's (and others) appeal and benefits for the suburbs and smaller communities but I am beginning to wonder if these operations are really that beneficial to a large urban center like New York replacing small individually owned and family owned businesses--the local butcher, baker etc.

I don't even wonder. I think places like that are inimical to urbanity.

This is what I bought from TJ - and I'll let you decide if I've been replacing my local butcher/baker:

- some TJ artichole dip

- frozen artichokes

- frozen cherries

- very good and pretty cheap prosciutto

- Valhrona choc. at $2.69 per bar

- tiramisu and choc. gelato

- chocolate covered cherries and espresso beans

- dried porcini at $2.99

- dried wild mushrooms at $1.99

- whole grain pita

and maybe more that I don't remember right now. Point is, I visit TJ for things that I don't find elsewhere or more inexpensive than I'd find even in Queens. It's the same with WF and Fairway - they each offer me something more than I find at my downright awful Key Food/former Food Dinasty. My butcher still gets regular visits, as for a local baker... (sight) I only wish. The best bread I buy in my 'hood is from Key Food, where they bake bread on the premises.

I personally don't think TJ undermines small businesses, as they found a niche in the market and this is probably the reason for their succes.

I suppose it's how far they go with the chains. After all, no one minded Staples or Gap when they opened their first stores in town - but no one wants them on every fucking corner.

I don't have much interest in Trader Joe's beyond what I've heard about their prices on things like dried wild mushrooms or Belgian baking chocolate. From what's been mentioned upthread, those prices are genuinely worth a stop off at 14th Street. And that wouldn't take trade away from my neighborhood, per se. Dried wild mushrooms are too expensive at the stores where I shop, and I usually end up at Dean and DeLuca or someplace else high end for the chocolate. Would much rather pay less. But that doesn't mean that I still won't be buying my meats, fish, cheese and fresh produce in my neighborhood.

I received an education in cheese from the woman who's been selling it to me for years. I like having a good close look (and sniff) at the fish from my fishmonger. And these people aren't just shopkeepers - to me, they're my neighbors.

I guess it's just another piece in the patchwork quilt to me - I don't shop for everything in one place here, and I don't mind having one more option open to me.

Whole Foods is evil, though. Ugh.

I find Trader Joes a shrine to absolute mediocrity, frozen proceseed garbage, terrible cheeses, frozen fish and meat? Isn't this supposed to be a website dedicated to the love of food. Trader joes is an insult to it and the fact that this isn't imdediatly obvious to all is more than slightly worrying. Especially when it's right accross the road from the wonderfull Union Square market.

Stepping over the haters and debaters, I just came in here to say I went to TJ's last Saturday night. I had been invited to a sangria party and wanted to bring a hostess gift, and since Trader Joe's is new and has super-fun party food I went for the symbolism as well as the products. What fun! I got pepitas and dried chile mangos, but the huge hit was the marcona almonds with rosemary. Totally addictive, and a pretty-good sized bag was around four dollars. (They must've been slightly imperfect? Aren't these things generally like gold?) Tiny downside - we needed more napkins for the olive-oil coating. But what a perfect match for sangria, and it brought out that "Oh, it's from Trader Joe's!" from the transplants.

I went in at 9pm on a Saturday. Negligible crowd, no line (all right, there was ONE person in front of me). I have had different experiences at different times but no more than at any other store in New York, be it Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Key Food, or Pathmark. I like that in Trader Joe's the employees are friendly, the cashiers tend to ask what I got and share things that they like. I like that the wine store cashier totally acknowledged that I waited until she was done conversing with her previous customer until I approached her desk. I like that customers are running around the stores, grabbing things and telling any employee who will listen (and they do), "oh, I used to live in ____ and get this at the ____ Trader Joe's!"

New York City is lousy with people who like to get in my way, gripe loudly and shit all over everything as if this is somehow impressive. I go to Trader Joe's for a vacation from this sort of thing. Trader Joe's is one of the places I can go for a guaranteed dose of nice. And those green chile cheese tamales...hmm, I might be running low on those...

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

New York City is lousy with people who like to get in my way, gripe loudly and shit all over everything as if this is somehow impressive.  I go to Trader Joe's for a vacation from this sort of thing.  Trader Joe's is one of the places I can go for a guaranteed dose of nice.  And those green chile cheese tamales...hmm, I might be running low on those...

Yikes.. Sorry that is your experience with New York City.. There are lots of nice people from upstate over at the farmer's market too. A family of farmers who make there own ricotta.. How mean could they be.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

New York City is lousy with people who like to get in my way, gripe loudly and shit all over everything as if this is somehow impressive.  I go to Trader Joe's for a vacation from this sort of thing.  Trader Joe's is one of the places I can go for a guaranteed dose of nice.

Wow. I hope that you've only recently moved to New York, and that you haven't had a chance to truly know it yet - I'd hate to think that this is more than a first impression. Actually I'd hate to think it was a first impression, either.

But to each his own. I will say this, though. I recently came back to the city after an absence of more than a year, and I realized, somewhat to my surprise, that I had missed it terribly when I was gone. I also discovered, much to my amazement, that the city missed me.

The hostess of my local sushi restaurant greeted me like a conquering hero when I came in (and comped both me and my companion a dessert). All the small shopkeepers in my neighborhood welcomed me home, and asked me where I'd been. None of them know me by name, but if you buy your daily bread at the same place long enough, they come to know you very well, indeed. Purchase your morning coffee from the same person every day, and they'll pride themselves in making it for you just the way you like it, without your even having to ask.

All of these are things for which New York is known, and in that way it can feel like a small village rather than a big city. They're earned over time, though - they don't just happen overnight. I would hope that you've experienced them yourself, or that you will, if you stay here long enough. And these are genuine relationships - which is why we are so very defensive of our small merchants.

I'm glad to hear that Trader Joe's strives to provide service with a smile - no reason why any chain store's employees shouldn't be nice. But I do encourage you to get to know your neighborhood shopkeepers, and some of the greenmarket vendors. Don't know much about fish? Ask your fishmonger to tell you how to prepare it. Ask that woman behind the counter to recommend you a cheese. Tell her you loved it or hated it next time you go in. Strike up a conversation with someone in line who looks like they know more about cuts of meat than you do. Suddenly, you'll be a thread in the fabric of this city, too. And that pleasant, anonymous nice that you find from the chains won't feel quite as exceptional as it once did.