• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bean Cuisine Soups

woodburner

Good Grief!!! $4.25 for 12.5 ounces!

Is there anything in there worth that much money?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I actually like Luzianne's products, though. Luzianne is known for their teabags, and is -the- iced tea from New Orleans.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Oh yes . . . I have drunk Luzianne Iced Tea by the gallons. However, Luzianne isn't really considered and "upscale" brand in New Orleans. That is why the price really surprised me. They do make quite a few good products.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

This is actually a pretty good soup mix, but yeah pricey. I like to use these soup mixes when doing a clean out the bits in the freezer kind of thing.

I actually like Hambeens 15 bean soup mix better. You can add any or all the stuff you add to the Bean Cuisine soups. And black beans, if I want black beans, I just buy black beans! They aren't that hard to prepare.

Edited for clarification.

Edited by annecros (log)

Wow! Those are expensive beans. The produce market here in Lancaster carries several different bean mixtures with spices and herbs in bags and most cost less than $2.00. As I recall, a couple that include dried porcini or dried shiitaki plus pasta are $2.75. The one bag I have (7-bean soup) is a total of 20 oz., so probably has at least a pound of dried beans along with the little bag of spices, herbs, dried onions and vegetables inside ($1.95).

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wow, just went to the Hambeen website out of curiosity:

http://www.hambeens.com/

In the FAQs, it says that you can order direct by the case. That's 24 1 pound bags for $25 including shipping! No mix and match though.

I'm quite a fan of the Hambeen 15 Bean Soup mix. I make it with smoked Turkey parts instead of a Ham Hock. Very tasty stuff that's great on a chilly winter day.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol