• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

making fried rice NOW

sabg

Maybe we have different methods but I cook the rice first and allow it to cool (or use leftover rice, obviously). Then I fry garlic and bacon or ham or sausage (whatever) and tip the rice into the hot, garlicky oil and toss it around to heat through and brown a bit. Then I add fish sauce or soy, stir through and finish with scallions. (Some people add eggs to the pan before the rice but I prefer a fried egg with a runny yolk as a last minute addition.) I like a squeeze of lime, cucumber slices and fish sauce with chillies as accompaniments. What's your method?

Check out this thread on fried rice in the Japan forum, there are lots of great tips for perfect fried rice.

The initial rice prep will depend on what kind of rice you are using. If you are making the fried rice with Japanese short grain rice it needs to be warm when it is added to the pan. If it is cold it will be in one large lump that is almost impossible to separate. Most other rices (medium and long grain) should be chilled before using.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Maybe we have different methods but I cook the rice first and allow it to cool (or use leftover rice, obviously). Then I fry garlic and bacon or ham or sausage (whatever) and tip the rice into the hot, garlicky oil and toss it around to heat through and brown a bit. Then I add fish sauce or soy, stir through and finish with scallions.  (Some people add eggs to the pan before the rice but I prefer a fried egg with a runny yolk as a last minute addition.) I like a squeeze of lime, cucumber slices and fish sauce with chillies as accompaniments. What's your method?

What he said....

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Maybe we have different methods but I cook the rice first and allow it to cool (or use leftover rice, obviously). Then I fry garlic and bacon or ham or sausage (whatever) and tip the rice into the hot, garlicky oil and toss it around to heat through and brown a bit. Then I add fish sauce or soy, stir through and finish with scallions.  (Some people add eggs to the pan before the rice but I prefer a fried egg with a runny yolk as a last minute addition.) I like a squeeze of lime, cucumber slices and fish sauce with chillies as accompaniments. What's your method?

This is a very Thai style preparation. In my experience in THailand, it is served with the accompaniments you mention, and unlike what is served in most "Chinese" restaurants in the US is pretty white in color, not soy sauce brown.

It can also be a great vehicle for leftovers. Not just rice, but odd meat and veg bits.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

i don't have nearly the experience with asian cuisines of many on the gullet, but it is important to make fried rice with cooked, chilled rice because the cooling sets the starch on the exterior, so the rice will retain its shape. for the same reason, when you're making steamed rice, always let it cool for 10 minutes or so before stirring in the butter, etc., to keep the kernels from breaking apart. just felt like being a wonk for a minute.

Like others have suggested above, I also like to use leftover rice straight from the fridge. Sometimes I'll run a damp hand through it to separate the clumps. Most the people who make it in Thailand simply use hot, recently cooked rice right from the rice cooker and they still somehow manage to make a dish with whole, separate grains! Not sure how they do it, although I think copious amounts of oil might have something to do with it!

Austin

What he said....

I'll "third" that motion

SB (likes it for using up left-overs) :smile:

Most the people who make it in Thailand simply use hot, recently cooked rice right from the rice cooker and they still somehow manage to make a dish with whole, separate grains!  Not sure how they do it, although I think copious amounts of oil might have something to do with it!

Austin

I make mine from recently cooked rice, sometimes cooled but most times straight from the steamer. No problems with clumping, and I don't use much oil. Just cook/steam the rice with less water than usual. When you've just about finished quick-frying the rice plus additions, throw a handful of water into the rice for some steam-frying.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

What he said....

I'll "third" that motion

SB (likes it for using up left-overs) :smile:

I "fourth" that motion. One thing we did in the restaurant if we ran out of day old rice was to take fresh rice and spread it out on a cookie sheet. Through this mixture into the freezer for a bit and then fry. Kept the rice intact and prevented sticking.