• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Strip House-Livingston

ejebud

In complete anticipation of passing all our inspections today and recieving our C.O., My partner and I are taking our wives out tonight to The Strip House. Hey, just because we sell hot dogs, doesn't mean we don't appreciate the finer stuff, although ain't nuthin finer than a good hot dog. What have your experiences been here?

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I've enjoyed the Porterhouse for 2. I've been there several times, and ordered a variety of cuts, and this one has been my favorite. It's a large cut and even 2 big eaters sharing this dish shouldn't be left hungry.

The cake serving is definitely enormous. My wife and I shared a piece once and it was laughable. At the end it looked like we'd barely even tried it. It reminded me of the serving sizes of dessert at Harold's Deli.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Not to be a "PITA" but (I think I always ask this, maybe too often??) what is their address? :blink:

Is there any web links? Any pictures? Any other food besides meat that you would suggest?? Thank you - hugs and I appreciate your tolerance :angry: of my silly :rolleyes: questions... :raz:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I've been to SH 4 times. Two times I got the double strip for dinner and the other two times I got the single for lunch. Each meal was thoroughly satisfying. Their drinks are on the pricier side. The creamed spinach is uniquely flavorful which I like very much. The sides are very good too. Strip house gets an A in my grade book.

:D

SO...? How was it, guys?!?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I tried the Strip House over the summer and loved my meal. If I recall, I had a exemplary shrimp cocktail, a very nice ny strip along with a very truffled creamed spinach and goose fat potatoes. The only thing that I didn't favor were the potatoes as the goose fat didn't add anything special to them. An excellent meal all around and one of the best prepared steaks I've had in New Jersey. One faux paux however was that they ran out of their signature 18 layer chocolate cake. A little disappointed about that. I would definately go back if I'm in that neck of the woods.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to The Strip House last night. While I've almost always enjoy my meals here last night was disappointing. Double Strip for two was slightly overcooked. Ordered Mid-rare came out Medium. Sue said it was ok as she prefers closer to medium than closer to rare and I let it go not thinking it would cook a little more on our plates bring it closer to mid-well. Creamed spinach with truffle butter( gonna steal this and serve it tonight) was luke warm as well as the garlic fries which were lacking said garlic. 1st wine was out of stock and had a very enjoyable Saintsbury Meritage for $25 more than I wanted to spend. Chalk it up to a bad night for the kitchen. Service while sitting at the bar was very smooth as the bartender gave us enough space to enjoy our conversation.

Went to The Strip House last night. While I've almost always enjoy my meals here last night was disappointing. Double Strip for two was slightly overcooked. Ordered Mid-rare came out Medium....

SH's double strip is around +/-3.5" thick... it would be a challenge for any steakhouse to cook something so thick to an exact specification (which is no excuse). I always order steak rare, which is pretty hard to screw up, and it's probably why I always got what I ordered. Good test you gave them.

:D

Good test, disappointing meal. It's a shame I really want to love this place but they keep messing up. Overcooked steaks, cold food, lousy service ( not this time). They just can't seem to put it all together. I'll be back back because The Strip House is where we all tend to settle our sports bets at the bar at The Grill.

• 3 months later...

Went to the Strip House for a belated Mothers Day Dinner on Monday.

Had a delicious meal, spent a fortune, but came away disappointed.

They have all this staff trying to be professional, yet the little shaker from my martini was on the table as the entrees were served. The glass had been removed. Also the empty shells from an apetizer remained on the bread plate.

The wine list by the glass is awful, the waiter agreed and took away the second glass I tried. Finally went for a split but at a mark up of at least 300%.

When you are paying top dollar you want everything perfect and Strip House falls short.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog