• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking Strips?

mmlstarr

Has anyone had any issues using Wilton Baking Strips? I used them for the first time last Friday and they certainly produced a cake with a flat top, but the sides of the cake were an odd texture. The top of the cake almost had a very fine crust while the sides were rather underdone appearing and a little ragged.

Thoughts?  Thanks!

Michael

1 hour ago, mmlstarr said:

Has anyone had any issues using Wilton Baking Strips? I used them for the first time last Friday and they certainly produced a cake with a flat top, but the sides of the cake were an odd texture. The top of the cake almost had a very fine crust while the sides were rather underdone appearing and a little ragged.

Thoughts?  Thanks!

Michael

I have a new set that I haven't used yet (I fashioned some out of cotton toweling that I used for years and finally received a set for Christmas).  The next time I make a cake I'll make sure to use them and report back.  

I don't have Wilton brand but some off-name; I love them and don't notice a different texture on the sides.  I'm  using Magic Line (brand) cake pans, and a convection oven so YMMV but even baking in a home oven I didn't notice a difference. 

• Thanks 1

@Margaret Pilgrim @JeanneCake

Sorry, for some reason didn't see these replies!

I made Perfect Pound Cake (Cake Bible) and Cream Cheese Butter Cake (Baking Bible). They were both terrific. Neither were baked in the recommended pan size and yet still came out beautifully and to rave reviews. The Perfect Pound Cake is meant for an 8x4 loaf pan. I made it in a 9x5, so, not ideal. It got a little too brown (I forgot to cover with buttered foil) but the texture of the inside of the cake was sublime. I also baked the Cream Cheese Butter Cake in a 9x5 loaf (didn't have an 8x8 square) and it came out beautifully, but the texture of the first cake was slightly better. 

I'm having to restrain myself from overloading Woody and Rose with constant questions on their website, lol.

I, too, love the preciseness of RLB's recipes. I weigh everything, even bp and salt with these two cakes! And I love the science behind it all.

One quick question: RLB recommends baking strips. I've only used them twice before on non RLB recipes. Each time the cake was indeed flat but had a funny, thin, crisp crust on top and the sides seemed almost underbaked. Is this normal? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• Like 1

To both 1 and 2 yes.  I use baking strips when I want to be sure the cake is level and they work quite well.The appropriate size is important as well as wringing out the excess water.  I also use the strips when baking a cake with fruit. I find it slows down the heat penetration so the sides do not over brown.

As for ermine frosting, it’s lovely, light frosting that is also delicate. The cake is best used soon after frosting as I don’t like to keep it at a warm room temperature.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, mmlstarr said:

One quick question: RLB recommends baking strips. I've only used them twice before on non RLB recipes. Each time the cake was indeed flat but had a funny, thin, crisp crust on top and the sides seemed almost underbaked. Is this normal? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I use baking strips more for round or square cakes, not so much for loaf pans.  Yes, the sides (because they're protected from the heat of the oven) tend to be lighter in color and less "firm" than when baked without the protective strip.  I hadn't noticed anything different about the tops of the cakes (I've baked just about everything from TCB.  Wait til you get to the cheesecake!!!)

• Thanks 1