• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valley Forge Brewing Co appears closed

cdh

Was recently over at the Trader Joes in the Gateway shopping center and noticed that the Valley Forge Brewing Co that had occupied a corner in the strip mall appears to have gone out of business. I never got around to stopping in there to sample their wares... did I miss out on anything special?

I don't know why it's so, but the idea of a bar or even a brewpub in a strip mall just always put me off. I never managed to set aside the assumption of mediocrity that I habitually slap on strip mall businesses and actually go and check the place out. I know that there are exceptions... was this one of them?

I wonder how much of a hurdle strip mall locations are for good food businesses.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

The beers were hit and miss. They did have a great peach ale while in season. The food was usually a miss. The decor was log cabin-ish with a minimal bar.

They closed almost a year ago and nothing has filled the space yet. They got by with mediocrity because of the office parks nearby. The main downfall was Outback Steakhouse opening in the same stripmall.

Many of the beers had little finish, complexity or carbonation.

There is a decent Indian Restaurant in that same stip mall, whose name escapes me.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Glad I didn't miss much. I figured that I'd have heard about it from the beer cogniscenti if it was a landmark.

Now I still have to get down to Phoenixville or Royersford and visit Sly Fox, which I've heard great things about from those in the know...

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I have a psychological block about Sly Fox for exactly the reasons you mentioned above: it's in a nondescript little plaza-ish development on rt. 113, that's just too easy to ignore. I drive by it every day, but it just never feels like a place I need to go. I know they have terrific beer, but the location is just not enticing for some weird reason. I really can't explain it.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I have a psychological block about Sly Fox for exactly the reasons you mentioned above: it's in a nondescript little plaza-ish development on rt. 113, that's just too easy to ignore. I drive by it every day, but it just never feels like a place I need to go. I know they have terrific beer, but the location is just not enticing for some weird reason.  I really can't explain it.

You're missing some spectactular suds, my friend. Really.

You need to get over whatever the mental block is. The Royal Weisse is outrageous. And the O'Reilly's Stout is amazing. And I normally don't even like dark beer.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have a psychological block about Sly Fox for exactly the reasons you mentioned above: it's in a nondescript little plaza-ish development on rt. 113, that's just too easy to ignore. I drive by it every day, but it just never feels like a place I need to go. I know they have terrific beer, but the location is just not enticing for some weird reason.  I really can't explain it.

Brian O'Reilly is arguably the finest craft brewer in the region. I swear the guy doesnt know how to make a bad beer , and most of his brews are extraordinary. His varietal IPAs are legendary. Nondescript or not, you're missing an exceptional beer experience every day you pass the place.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

If you don't like the 113 location stop by the Sly Fox in Royersford off of 202. Same great beer and food. More parking.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren