• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High End Arabic Cuisine

I'll find out and let you know.

Are you including Maghrei cuisine in "Arabic"?

Yes, absolutely. Maybe I should have used the term "Middle Eastern" as I'm looking for fine dining cuisine from across the region.

I'm doing some work for a palace in Saudi and they have requested I find a chef with high end Middle Eastern experience. Prefer someone from stand alone high end outlets rather than hotels. Middle Eastern cuisine is not me speciality at all.

I would of thought in London there may be some very good restaurants as described above just due to the number of high end Arabic clientele coming through?

You help is greatly appreciated.

CHEF JOBS UPDATE - September 07 !!

Latest global Chef jobs listing and news now available!

Take a look online here:

http://www.hostec.com.au/newsletters/chef/sep07/

Just a thought, but are you sure your Saudi employer would want a Maghrebi chef? If they're looking for Middle Eastern cuisine, I would think that would encompass Arabia, the Levant (Palestine, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan) and Iraq only. Maybe Egypt. Maghrebi cuisine is wonderful, but it's pretty different from Levantine cuisine in various ways.

Another thought is, don't overlook Paris. There are many Lebanese people there, for example. I can't be of more specific help, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks for the heads up Pan.

The foucs of the client is more so finding someone with a focus on being able to cook for all of their international guests rather than for themselves. This is why ideally wide and varied exposure is required.

Saudi in general aren't that keen on Egyptians but very much like Lebanese. A good chef of Lebanese descent would certainly be first choice for them.

Paris: yes, forgot about that! Cheers.

Take a look online here:

Just a thought, but are you sure your Saudi employer would want a Maghrebi chef? If they're looking for Middle Eastern cuisine, I would think that would encompass Arabia, the Levant (Palestine, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan) and Iraq only. Maybe Egypt. Maghrebi cuisine is wonderful, but it's pretty different from Levantine cuisine in various ways.

Another thought is, don't overlook Paris. There are many Lebanese people there, for example. I can't be of more specific help, though.

I'd bet on it.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

The foucs of the client is more so finding someone with a focus on being able to cook for all of their international guests rather than for themselves. This is why ideally wide and varied exposure is required.

Saudi in general aren't that keen on Egyptians but very much like Lebanese. A good chef of Lebanese descent would certainly be first choice for them.

What do you know about Saudi in general?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Sorry should have been more specific, I meant Arabic/Middle Eastern/North African

:blink:

What are you blinking at? The Maghreb is in North Africa.

Aw play nice, Farid. :rolleyes:

Are you looking for a chef who can cook middle eastern cuisine, or a middle eastern chef who can cook western cuisine? For the former, I would try to poach someone in Beirut. You know what might work? You could email the Lebanese wine people (e.g. Massaya), and ask if they know anyone who is looking for a job. They have a focus on international clientele so they would probably be a good resource. For the latter, I would more likely seek someone through French channels, in which case Farid would be a good resource probably.

I should have qualified my statement.

I do quite a lot of work for Saudi's and properties with Saudi and general feedback from my clients is that would prefer Lebanese staff rather than Egyptians. Personally, I like all of you guys. I'm just relaying what my clients ask of me.

Behemoth: Ideally looking for someone who can cook Middle Eastern cuisine.

I have access to many many Middle Eastern guys who can cook Western food, just not many that can cook Middle Eastern Cuisine at the highest levels.

Can you think of any restaurant names in beirut that will be in the target range?

Good call on the wine company idea! I'll get searching now. That is awesome help, thanks!

Take a look online here:

This statement might get me in trouble but I would keep in mind that often in the Middle East, "at a high level" is not necessarily the same thing as "good."

I will try to come up with some resturants. Maybe Abdel Wahab (kind of traditional, kind of fancy...that kind of thing?)

This is a little off the beaten path but we had an outstanding meal at Echmoun restaurant near Sidon this summer -- we were really surprised by how good it was, as it was your typical near-the-water-mezza place. Quite refined, though still very traditional. Again, not "haute" so it might not be what you are looking for, though I have to admit I've never been convinced by attempts at fancying up lebanese food... Anyway, might be worth checking out. If you go the more traditional route, El Arabi in Zahleh is very well known, one of the oldest places and quite good.

This might be way off, but Rifaat Hallab sweets in Tripoli are extremely professional and ambitious at a scale I haven't seen very often in Lebanon. Very uncompromising in terms of quality. They do train their own staff but are limited to pastries -- they might have some advice or be willing to work with you.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

I'd bet on it.

I just want to clarify: I wasn't suggesting Saudi prejudice against Maghrebis, just that perhaps a Saudi looking for a chef expert in Middle Eastern cuisine may not be thinking of Maghrebi-style cuisine. But of course I could easily be wrong and you would be in a position to know better.

Michael aka "Pan"

1- Pan, yes you are right. When Middle East cuisine is mentioned, the understanding is that it is the cuisine of the Levant.

On the other hand, the cuisine of the Maghreb is specific to this part of the world.

As for Paris, you are right again and there is a large community served with ME restaurants and Lebanese Chefs.

2- Behemoth, I am sure the restaurants you mentioned are very good in their own way. However I am sceptical as to the feasibility and practicality of identifying and approaching the Chefs that work in there.

3- The Chefs Office, As you already know the appointment of any kind of Chef is not simply getting a name and an address while flashing a contract but more to do with answering a specific client brief and job description.

There are many pitfalls in getting a Levantine or Lebanese or Maghrebi Chef to that matter, I do not wish to go into a job description discussion but you state that you are looking for a chef who "can cook Middle Eastern Cuisine at the highest levels". As in what levels?

Can we simplify your statement by saying that you need a versatile Chef to prepare a range of Meza ranging from Hummos to Chicken liver! of course passing by grilled meat - kebabs and the odd roasted lamb.

Or do you want a maverick Chef to create new dishes presented a la Bulli.

I'm quite sure Mr. Husam Abbas of "Al- Babour"(Ein Ibrahim JCT) and Mr. Duhul S'fadi from "Diana" (Nazareth) both running amazingly good establishments. could fit as they are probably the top of "High End Arabic Cuisine" in Israel.

My spelling may be incorrect, but if needed I have their phones and addresses.

Boaziko

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

I should have qualified my statement.

I do quite a lot of work for Saudi's and properties with Saudi and general feedback from my clients is that would prefer Lebanese staff rather than Egyptians. Personally, I like all of you guys. I'm just relaying what my clients ask of me.

Behemoth: Ideally looking for someone who can cook Middle Eastern cuisine.

I have access to many many Middle Eastern guys who can cook Western food, just not many that can cook Middle Eastern Cuisine at the highest levels.

Can you think of any restaurant names in beirut that will be in the target range?

Good call on the wine company idea! I'll get searching now. That is awesome help, thanks!

hi there, i may be able to help you. i know a very good chef in london who has a lebanese restaurant (al waha) and who could recommend someone. i could also help in the training to make the chef even more high end. you may know my books (lebanese cuisine, cafe morocco, mediterranean street food and the fifth quarter). i am just finishing one on the breads and savory pastries of the mediterranean. i do a lot of teaching. am presently in marrakesh, teaching moroccan cooking and some time ago, i did a couple of training sessions for the flight attendants of hariri, showing them how elegant lebanese food is prepared and presented, what its characteristics are, the social context and history and so on. so that they can explain what they were serving to hariri's high-powered guests, etc. do let me know if i can help. i shall be returning to london in a week's time.

hi there, i may be able to help you. i know a very good chef in london who has a lebanese restaurant (al waha) and who could recommend someone. i could also help in the training to make the chef even more high end. you may know my books (lebanese cuisine, cafe morocco, mediterranean street food and the fifth quarter). i am just finishing one on the breads and savory pastries of the mediterranean. i do a lot of teaching. am presently in marrakesh, teaching moroccan cooking and some time ago, i did a couple of training sessions for the flight attendants of hariri, showing them how elegant lebanese food is prepared and presented, what its characteristics are, the social context and history and so on. so that they can explain what they were serving to hariri's high-powered guests, etc. do let me know if i can help. i shall be returning to london in a week's time.

Your Anissa Helou! I had no idea. I love Cafe Morocco.

Welcome to eGullet.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Your Anissa Helou! I had no idea. I love Cafe Morocco.

Welcome to eGullet.

thanks so much swisskaese. i'm so pleased you love cafe morocco. i have just now finished a week's teaching in marrakesh. i love being there and the food is really quite exceptional.

It's hard to say just what I love best about eGullet, but without a doubt, one of my favorite things about it is that food writers are here! I never know who will pop up next! Anissa, I have Mediterranean Street Food. It's a delight! Welcome to eGullet!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It's hard to say just what I love best about eGullet, but without a doubt, one of my favorite things about it is that food writers are here!  I never know who will pop up next!  Anissa, I have Mediterranean Street Food.  It's a delight!  Welcome to eGullet!

thanks smithy. you are so kind. i'm so happy you like mediterranean street food. it was great fun doing the research and writing it and of course testing the recipes.

• 3 months later...
It's hard to say just what I love best about eGullet, but without a doubt, one of my favorite things about it is that food writers are here!  I never know who will pop up next!  Anissa, I have Mediterranean Street Food.  It's a delight!  Welcome to eGullet!

Can't get the book here but wish I could! [few cooking books make it as far as Burundi... :sad:

Anyway, about street foods in general: It was Irene Tinker, a sociologist, who put street foods 'on the map' through a series of global case studies; I was involved in the Cairo street foods work. Really pleased to learn that cookbooks are coming out on street foods!

Interestingly, street foods are not nearly as important here in Bujumbura [capital of Burundi - central Africa] - nor in Nairobi - as in the Middle East; Asia. The only street foods here = hardboiled eggs; peanuts and a kind of mandazi [deep fried sweet a bit like a doughnut]. They are primarily solded by streetboys who wander about the town balancing trays of their goodies on their heads. A little bag of home-cooked peanuts and a boiled egg makes a nice snack when hungry; very cheap and nutritious, too!

Street foods might be an interesting topic to discuss as a subforum; where they exist, who benefits and who does not; what are the most popular and how are they cooked; etc.

DianaBuja.