• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Manor— End of an Era

MetsFan5

The Manor in West Orange has been a wedding and event rock in the world of events in Northern NJ for decades. 

Yes, my parents got married there. If you live in NJ, chances someone you know did too. I had my prom there. 

The Manor formerly boasted two restaurants in addition to events: a Lobster Buffet and a Fine a dining ala carte old school dining room. 

A little less than 20 years ago I was the reservations manager, in charge of both of the Manor’s restaurants as well as the Highlawn Pavillion. I was brought in when they change their reservation system over to Open Table. (I was also in school part time to get my bachelors in Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management)

I saw and heard and dealt with a LOT in the few years I worked there. 

Now the property has been sold. It is the end of an era, and not the first time a restaurant I worked for (a family business) was sold (assuming a lack of interest on the next generations behalf, but that is just an assumption. 

details here:

https://www.nj.com/news/2023/07/the-manor-njs-iconic-wedding-venue-closes-its-doors-for-good-today.html?outputType=amp

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Sad 1