• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Children's Food Books

daniellewiley

My favorite book when I was that age was called "Watch Out for Chicken Feet in your Soup" by Tomie dePaola. My mom and I always read it and then made bread dolls (simple bread braided around eggs with faces drawn on them) from the recipe in the back. I think I still have a photocopy of that page tucked away in one of my cookbooks..

Thought of a couple more.

Mmm, Cookies! by Robert Munsch. He's an excellent storyteller for kids from preschool through to about Grade 2.

And Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee. One of my own favourites as a kid.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

another one just came across the circ desk. i have told it many times back in the day when i did children's programming.

The Funny Little Woman retold by Arlene Mosel.

set in japan a woman who made the best rice dumplings. she follows one into the land of the oni where she is taken prisoner and made to cook for the oni with the help of a magic paddle. she escapes, taking the magic paddle with her and becomes the richest woman in japan from selling her dumplings.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

All these years after putting on a children's play in Girl Scout camp and I can still remember:

"What shall we do about poor little Tigger?

If he never eats nuthin he'll never get bigger!

He doesn't like hunny or haycorns or thistles

Because of the taste or because of the bristles

And all the good things that an animal likes

Have the wrong kind of swallow

And too many spikes!"

Here's to Pooh!

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I just received one last week, and my niece and I have read it together about 5 times...it's called I Will Never NOT EVER Eat A Tomato, and I must explain: I hate fresh tomatoes. Throw 'em at me, cook them, whatever--but I just don't like raw tomatoes, and everyone finds this funny b/c I so love good food. SO...my stepmother, who is in the children's book business, sent this up with my dad. And of course, I found the title hysterical enough, but when I read it the first time, I genuinely laughed.

In short, big bro Charlie is finding ways to get little sister Lola to eat her veggies. As in (I'm paraphrasing) "Those aren't carrots, Lola...they're orange twiggies from Saturn!" And of course, Lola eats all of these things and likes them. In the end, she asks for a bowl of moon squirters (tomatoes). I still say BLEAH, no matter what you call them...

Finally, in deference to my first love (see avatar), how could you have named the other books in this series, but forgotten If You Give a Moose a Muffin...?!? :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."