• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

late night dining

zeffer81

I'll be getting out of the theatre around 10:00-10:15 tomorrow night. where can we have a nice meal without being surround by bar goers? we prefer byobs, but i know 10:30 is rather late for them. any suggestions?

avenue of the arts/south street area

thanks!

I'll be getting out of the theatre around 10:00-10:15 tomorrow night.  where can we have a nice meal without being surround by bar goers?  we prefer byobs, but i know 10:30 is rather late for them.  any suggestions?

avenue of the arts/south street area

thanks!

Not really too late on a Friday, I don't think. Mercato is right there, they don't take reservations, and they should still be seating. Across Broad, Bistro La Viola has good food - they are usually too crowded for me, but by that time they should have thinned out.

i can't think of that many places on a friday right near there that are open late, either. that aren't bars, anyway. i mean, monk's is there, but it's a bar. there are various places like trattoria prima donna and ernesto's 1521, but i'm not sure how late they're open. seems to me that both happy rooster and passion are open a little later than a lot of restaurants, aren't they?

thanks for the suggestions, y'all. ended up with a 10:30 res at Bliss. Never been high on my list (or on it at all...) but it was absolutely fabulous. I started with the tuna carpaccio--miso glaze, wasabi and some caviar, although i scraped that off--can't make myself like the stuff. The carpaccio was so buttery, it melted in my mouth. My boyfriend and I both had the specials--his was some sort of steak (don't know the cut, I steer clear of red meat) with sauteed spinach, all drenched in a red wine reduction. Buttery whipped mashed on the side. He said it was fabulous, but couldn't hold a candle to Marigold's. I had the roasted halibut over lump crabmeat risotto with a lobster tomato broth. It's hard to make a fish that doesn't taste fishy, but this was the absolute best fish I have ever eaten. It was so meaty and tasty.

i looked at the dessert menu, but decided to leave with memories of the fish. in summation, food was fabulous, service was great. it was nice not to feel rushed, as late as it was. and, the lateness merited the two of us a booth! not the best restaurant i've ever been to ( i prefer byobs) but definitely at the top of my list. what a shocker, but thank you bliss!