• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Like Water for Chocolate

magnolia

It has been awhile since I read the book, and I can't put my hands on it at the moment. What does the phrase "Like Water for Chocolate" actually mean?

Read the book, Watch the film and then nod your head to the Rap album

I always thought it meant something along the lines of :- cat amongst the pigeons.

Having seen the mess that water mixed with chocolate creates, and having nodded my head to the rap album.

But as i`m sure you may have gathered, i aint seen the film or read the book.

tt

I believe it's a reference to the state of water that is not quite boiling--the point at which it's poured into the chocolate for a drink--and is a metaphor for all of the emotions simmering just below the surface throughout the story. If I recall correctly there is even a line in the book where the protagonist (the sister who cooks) is in an emotional state--maybe right before the wedding?--and is said to be "like water for chocolate," hence the title.

I remember the book.

I took it as sexual metaphor.

(So what else is new. :biggrin: )

It seemed that there was to be marriage, a gathering together of forces within lots of external happenings.

Water being one person chocolate being another person.

External forces being heat or cold. I thought heat.

The marriage was desirable. Just because it is.

But would the water and chocolate mix? Could they mix? Would they meld or not?

Or would they remain together in that suspended (together yet not together) state which happens when a drop of water hits chocolate while trying to temper.

What would make the water and chocolate blend gracefully? Could heat do it (the external forces of family, culture, society)?

Or would it take something more to have this happen. . .a touch of grace perhaps as in some cream or butter. What would that cream or butter be in "real life"?

Maybe something magical. Maybe something unknown. Maybe something full of grace. Maybe something sacred.

Maybe sex? :laugh:

Really though, I don't know for sure. You might google the thing and find some critical reviews by literary folk.

I thought the title derived from the fact that in Mexico hot chocolate is made by adding chunks of chocolate to boiling water (as opposd to milk). And yes, the double entendre is that Tita (the heroine) was boiling with lust for her loved one while she made the hot chocolate. Has food ever been as lusciously sensual as presented in this book?

Lobster.

What I can not remember is whether there were actual recipes printed within the book, or within certain issues of the book, or whether there was a separate book printed that held recipes at a later date based on demand.

For I seem to remember recipes. Somewhere.

But maybe that was just a dream.

I believe it's a reference to the state of water that is not quite boiling--the point at which it's poured into the chocolate for a drink--and is a metaphor for all of the emotions simmering just below the surface throughout the story. If I recall correctly there is even a line in the book where the protagonist (the sister who cooks) is in an emotional state--maybe right before the wedding?--and is said to be "like water for chocolate," hence the title.

I believe this is correct. As Kitchenmage and Irishcream point out, in Mexico hot chocolate is frequently (actually, some would say 'usually') made with water. (The taste differs from our typical hot cocoa just the way a milk chocolate candy bar tastes different from a dark chocolate one. And frankly, I prefer the non-milk version myself, although it does take some getting used to.) You bring the water to a blistering, bubbling, eager and restless boil. Like emotions.

Interesting, isn't it, how cultural differences negate the meaning of the analogy. I guess in the US you could say, "The need and desire within her simmered and bubbled restlessly, urgently, like water for pasta."

(I mean, you know, if you had any need to say it at all. :biggrin: )

And yes, there are recipes in the book. One for each chapter, I think. I could go look. Maybe I will and get back.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

If you do find the book, Jaymes, see if you "read" the family influences, the back and forth, as strongly as I did surrounding the marriage?

Or whether the narrative was solely focused on the singular and independent relationship between the two suitors?

I always like to check on my nuttiness level. :wink:

If you do find the book, Jaymes, see if you "read" the family influences, the back and forth, as strongly as I did surrounding the marriage?

Or whether the narrative was solely focused on the singular and independent relationship between the two suitors?

I will. But thinking back, I do recall that family played a huge role in the focus of the book -- the time in the kitchen, the recipes that have been handed down for generations, the traditions surrounding life on the hacienda -- but I will check.

Great book, I thought.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

But instructions for the recipe are always given.

Wouldn't it be lovely if life itself could be written that way? :smile:

Not to mention that I'd like to do a little restless and urgent bubbling myself. :cool:

Water and chocolate do actually mix very well when the technique is good. There is a chocolatier here in Vancouver (Bad Girl Chocolates) who makes all of her chocolates with a water based ganache - as opposed to using cream.

They are excellent, not at all the watered down flavor that you would expect, just a nice clean chocolate taste.

As for what the saying means best ask on the Latin Forum.

My memory of the book is that Tita was the daughter--being either the oldest or youngest, I don't recall--who was auto-assigned to stay home and care for her mother for her entire life. This was presented as a cultural norm that was all about self-sacrfice and a hot stove.

Her sister, on the other hand, was allowed to have a life and ended up marrying Tita's "true love"--which gave us the scenes of the sobbing soup (or was that the lustful dish?) and other magical influences of the cook. Always kind of liked that part.

And yes, each chapter opens with a recipe. If I recall correctly, it was the dsh Tita was cooking during that chapter.

Not touching that...huh unh... :hmmm::blink::raz::biggrin:

The reference is to the particular temperature of water used for Mexican hot chocolate as in "as hot as water for chocolate." Considering that she had to give up love and even a life to look after her mother, I suspect that the expression applied too to her seething reaction to her imposed condition.

Edited by Apicio (log)

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

I do remember hearing vaguely of a book-club group "somewhere" (somewhere small and local but I've lived so many places that I can not remember exactly where) that read the book and cooked the recipes. It was reported in a small local newspaper. They seemed to enjoy it.

I am really intrigued by memories of the book and by knowing that the recipes are right there in it, particularly in the form you described. If I can make it to the bookstore tomorrow, will pick it up.

It was discussed in detail here.

My problem with the book was the object of her affection was a merde-heel and not worth two centavos. At least in the movie he was cute so you could sort of see why she would pine away over him (but he wasn't that cute!)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I am wondering if anyone has tried any of the recipes? They look workable.

Yes, for the most part.

But perhaps not the one for Turkey Mole, which begins thusly: "Fifteen days before the turkey is to be killed, begin feeding it small walnuts. Start with one the first day, the next day put two in its beak, and keep increasing the number this way until the night before it's to be killed, regardless of how much corn it eats voluntarily during this period."

Her sister, on the other hand, was allowed to have a life and ended up marrying Tita's "true love"--which gave us the scenes of the sobbing soup...

Actually, the tears went into the wedding cake that Tita was making for the marriage of her sister to Pedro, her own true love.

Her sister, on the other hand, was allowed to have a life and ended up marrying Tita's "true love"--which gave us the scenes of the sobbing soup...

Actually, the tears went into the wedding cake that Tita was making for the marriage of her sister to Pedro, her own true love.

Ahhh, I sit corrected. I wasn't sure while I was writing it. So was it the soup that was the uber-aphrodisiac?