• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Tasting Party,

stefanyb

I just had a thought for an egullet event (I forsee it happenning this Fall).  A version of a potluck but different.  Each participant brings 4-6 varieties of one particular food or food product, for example:

croissants

baguettes

salamis

goat cheeses

mustards

butters

strawberry jams

smoked salmons

chocolate chip cookies

olives

eclairs

etc, etc, etc

We could post, Cabrales style, all entries and the winners in each category(we would vote for best in each group)

So, what do you think?

Can you compare strawberries and oranges? :sad:

While variety has its points, the idea here, as I understand it, is a comparative tasting -- revealing the answer to the popular question:  which strawberry jam is the best?

How do others feel?

Exactly

I do not know whether I could participate. It would depend, among other things, on the date for the event. However, a sampling of macarons would be interesting -- including Pierre Herme-Wegmans, Payard, Fauchon NY, etc.  :wink:

Can we change stuff if we decide to change our minds?

Count me in.  And olives, if no one's claimed it yet.

I was thinking --

oil-cured

Gaeta

Kalamata

and maybe two or three more kinds, subject to what I can find in Astoria or elsewhere (any recommendations?), along with marinated olives that I'll make myself (see below).

Marinated Olives (minimum servings:  10)

2 c. mixed olives (oil-cured, Kalamata, and two or three other kinds, be sure to get olives WITH pits intact)

2 T. lemon zest, grated or chopped finely

2 T. orange zest, grated or chopped finely

Juice of 3 lemons OR 2 preserved lemons, quartered

2 garlic cloves, minced

Generous pinch of red pepper flakes

Generous pinch of fennel or anise seeds

Olive oil (NOT EVOO)

1/4 c. Italian flat-leaf parsley, minced (optional) OR

2 T. rosemary (either fresh or dried) (optional)

In a large glass or non-reactive bowl, toss together the olives, lemon and orange zest, lemon juice (or preserved lemon), garlic, red pepper flakes, and fennel (or anise) seeds, mixing together until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.  Add enough olive oil to cover the olives, stir well.  Cover with plastic wrap or foil, and refrigerate for two or three hours (six hours if possible) so that the flavors can develop.  About five to ten minutes before serving, transfer as much of the olives as you desire, and a portion of the marinating liquid to another large bowl (reserve the remainder for future use), and add the parsley or rosemary.  Mix well and serve.

Note from Soba:  I like to serve the olives as is, or with slices of Italian or French bread.  You can use the marinating liquid as a basting liquid for roast chicken, a glaze for roasted potatoes (before popping them in the oven), or as the basis for a topping for steamed veggies, or even for salad dressing.

Are we going to do this all scientific like, examining each small bite of each type of item. The person who brought the stuff taking notes for their tasting? Or, the more fun way, putting it out with labels showing, buffet style, and allowing everyone to relax and enjoy themselves. But, they will need to take their own notes and report back which of each type of thing they liked best and why.

Are we going to do this all scientific like, examining each small bite of each type of item. The person who brought the stuff taking notes for their tasting? Or, the more fun way, putting it out with labels showing, buffet style, and allowing everyone to relax and enjoy themselves. But, they will need to take their own notes and report back which of each type of thing they liked best and why.

I'm just making this stuff up as I go along.  It'll be whatever we decide.  

P.S. the list was just arbitrarily off the top of my head and we have plenty of time to hash it out (remember its in the Fall)

I think it should be rigidly controlled, with lab coats supplied and all samples precisely weighed and measured.  It should be hosted by a severe looking middle aged woman with her hair in a tight bun.

NO TALKING!   :wow:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

You know I didn't want to get too pedantic about the parlance but, a vertical would be peanut butters from different years. Different peanut butters would be a horizontal.

Like in wine. Tasting 10 consecutive vintages of the same wine would be a vertical. Ten wines from the same vintage a horizontal. Maybe this is a vertical of horizontals. Ah there, I feel better now.

You know I didn't want to get too pedantic about the parlance but, a vertical would be peanut butters from different years. Different peanut butters would be a horizontal.

Like in wine. Tasting 10 consecutive vintages of the same wine would be a vertical. Ten wines from the same vintage a horizontal. Maybe this is a vertical of horizontals. Ah there, I feel better now.

I actually thought of that when I first started this topic, but I was reluctant to call this thread "A Tasting Party, lets get horizontal", for obvious reasons.

"I actually thought of that when I first started this topic, but I was reluctant to call this thread "A Tasting Party, lets get horizontal", for obvious reasons"

Stefany - Maybe I should start a thread that asks, Which eGullet member would you choose to be horizontal with?