• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seasonal peaks

What's Union making with them? I'd never heard of ramps before last week, so I wasn't sure what to do with them... The results of subbing them in on my potato leek soup were downright awful. Or maybe I just don't have a taste for them.

Does anyone want to share their ideas?

I wonder if they were cooked to long in the soup? I like them best just sauteed for about 5 minutes-until tender. Even this might be too long for the tops-next time I might cut the ramps in half and add the greens after the bulbs. I had them just sauteed with garlic and olive oil as a side dish the other night (with bbqed chicken and cornbread), and last week I sauteed them with pancetta before tossing with spaghetti (topped with parm).

Yeah, I did chop up the bulbs and put them in at the beginning, simmered the soup and just stirred in the green parts a minute or two before serving.... Maybe I'll try the pasta idea -- you leave them whole for that?

I think how the recipe goes ...

Good luck with the ramps! Leave some for everyone else!

Thanks - hit the spot last night. For two, I used 2 bundles of ramps and about 1/4 lb thick sliced proscuitto (cut into strips), two cloves garlic, and a whole small onion. The flavors were great, but I would have doubled the ramps - they do melt down and despite the heavy scent, are quite mild. The greens took no time to soften, the "bulbs" stayed a bit crunchy.