• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

is there another name for a "bird's eye" chili

halloweencat

in a number of recipies, the cafe paradisio cookbook calls for a "birds' eye" chili.

the produce fellow at wegman's didn't know what this is. is this called by another name?

also, assuming wegman's doesn't have it or won't get it, where can i get them, or what can be substituted?

thanks in advance. :)

cheers :)

hc

in a number of recipies, the cafe paradisio cookbook calls for a "birds' eye" chili.

http://importfood.com/freshthaiproduce.html

The above has photos of some Thai staples, and the chile shown is the Thai (or birdseye) chile. Nice 'n hot, they ripen to red. Incedentally, last year I dried my last 70-100 of those left on the plants (red by then). They partially dried on the plant, then I roasted them in the oven. They sat for a few months more in the kitchen and I ran them through a spice mill and the flavor of the powder is excellent, darker than usual due to the roasting.

John S.

Edited by John S. (log)

:rolleyes: Might this be what he meant?
A fine blend of Birds Eye chile infused olive oil and Birds Eye Chile Extract, may be used in all types of food where a pungent or hot sensation is desired. This is too hot for direct consumption. The flavour must only be evaluated in dilution. Comes in it's own dropper bottle for ease of use.
the source of the quote

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

hmmm.... i definitely don't know what he meant :), but, for example, the recipie on page 184 (honey-roasted butternut squash with avocado-lime salsa....etc.) calls for "5 bird's eye chilies," presumably whole.

i looked for "bird's eye chili" in the index (under "bird's eye" and under "chili"), but nothing specific about the ingredient per se. he doesn't mention them in the introduction.

i'm definitely confused.

on edit:

i checked john s's link (thanks, john s!) and it appears that bird's eye chilis are a type of thai chilli:

<snip>

Thai chile peppers (Prik ki nu). Also known as birdseye chile peppers, these are small and one of the strongest varieties available. Used in many Thai soups and curries (if you browse our recipe section, you'll find that almost every recipe calls for this product). Our chile peppers have excellent shelf life if refrigerated, and fresh green stems.

</snip>

i'm going to call wegman's to see if they have it by this name, or perhaps there is an asian market nearby that does.

thanks to you both. :)

thanks and cheers :)

hc

:rolleyes: Might this be what he meant?
A fine blend of Birds Eye chile infused olive oil and Birds Eye Chile Extract, may be used in all types of food where a pungent or hot sensation is desired. This is too hot for direct consumption. The flavour must only be evaluated in dilution. Comes in it's own dropper bottle for ease of use.
the source of the quote

Yes, same chile, but I've never seen its extract per se! Every time I hear the word "extract" in the same sentence as "chile" I think of capsaicin extract, which is crystalline. When reconstituted it is sometimes added to bottled hot sauces to give them the "burn ass" or "killer" heat levels. Unfortunately it also changes the flavor. Oil with infused chiles can be a great condiment, but since capsaicin is the sole source of any chile's heat, its extract would be the same regardless of the source chile.

John S.

If you want to get really confused, check this out.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

We make birds eye chilli oil at home all the time. Just stick a bowl of peanut oil in the microwave with a dozen or so chillies and zap on high for 3 minutes and then let stand for an hour or so and strain. It doesn't have the green taste of a fresh chilli but it's remarkably good and much easier to use. It's excellent in a dipping sauce.

Otherwise, fresh chillies can be either sundried or stored in the freezer to prolong shelf life.

PS: I am a guy.

also,  assuming wegman's doesn't have it or won't get it, where can i get them, or what can be substituted?

As others mentioned, they are also commonly just called, "thai chiles". If you can't find them, I think the next best easily obtainable substitute would be serranos (which are less hot).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

also,  assuming wegman's doesn't have it or won't get it, where can i get them, or what can be substituted?

As others mentioned, they are also commonly just called, "thai chiles". If you can't find them, I think the next best easily obtainable substitute would be serranos (which are less hot).

All Thai chiles are of the species annuum, so serrano (also c. annuum) would be a good substitute. In dried form, I prefer chile de arbol, tabasco or chile japones. Serranos just aren't the same heat level.

John S.

Just to add to the confusion, Ming Tsai refers to "Thai bird chiles" and says that name is interchangeable with bird's eye chiles as well as bird peppers (mentioned at the bottom of this page).

If it were me, I'd go to the nearest Asian grocery store and look for the tiniest fresh red chile they have (the chile rule of thumb being that size is inversely proportional to heat). If the signage or the staff say it's a Thai variety, so much the better.

I thought cili padi/bird's eye chilis were usually green, not red.

In my experience (Thailand and US), they come green, red, and orange. They are little, and they have a curve. They are sort of "C" shaped, but with a less exagerated curve than that letter. Thin skin.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The different colors are the various stages of ripening. These small pointed chiles are available in many Asian as well as Mexican market in the Midwest. In the Midwest they are the same whether labeled 'Bird' or 'de Arbol' and they suffice for either cusine. Serranos are NOT a substitute in taste or heat.

You will have to purchase what is grown and available in your region. The chiles will not be exactly the same as the ones grown in Thailand. From what i have been told TAM's are a product of Texas A&M and now it is almost impossible to get Pablanos and jalapenoes with heat. Next comes the serranoes and I am sure they will cross with the Chile de Arbol and the heat will be gone. Sad state of affairs. -Dick