• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drying Yuk Gon (Meat Jerky)

Gul_Dekar

You're talking about drying the yuk gon to keep for subsequent grilling? Then, yes, I do that too... in a very low oven.

If I want to make beef jerky, do you cook the beef first? Or just leave it raw with the marinade, then dry it in oven?

Also, how "low" is "very low" temperature-wise?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Raw. Slice very thin, cut out "all" fat, marinade, arrange on racks, put into a warming oven at about 120-130 degrees F. until it is stiff and dry to the feel, turning as needed. I have a convection oven where it is possible to turn on the fan. It does a superb job.

Raw. Slice very thin, cut out "all" fat,

Ben-sook. Your beef jerky is different from the one we do. Yes, I've eaten the one you're describing...someone got it from China...great flavored chinese chewing gum. Dry stuff. What we're used to is more like gallery_28660_3_92521.jpg

This is pork yuk gon made by my mom...beef would be darker and with spices added, though not as spicy as the China ones. For this we need fats and the meat is roughly ground rather than sliced.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Raw. Slice very thin, cut out "all" fat, marinade, arrange on racks, put into a warming oven at about 120-130 degrees F. until it is stiff and dry to the feel, turning as needed. I have a convection oven where it is possible to turn on the fan. It does a superb job.

In many places that prepare "Yuk Gon" it would be cured then allowed to dry in a Oven [Older Model] with a Pilot Light always burning.

If we wished to finish the Beef or Pork in the "Singapore Style" that any customers preferred we would Brush it after it had set under the low heat with a mixture of Maltose, Liquified Cane Sugar, Strained Apricot Jam and some Chilli's and raise the Heat for a short time to let it set again then lower the temperature to Warm or 110 Degrees Farenheit to finish.

This would produce Strips that looked similar to those in the Photo, "Teepee" posted previously.

The Drier more Stringy type was the standard in Hong Kong but the Singapore Jerky was always more expensive.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Coincidentally, just last week one of my colleagues gave me a pkg. of Singapore style yuk gon that her son brought home on vacation from Singapore (where he is a teacher). It was delicious, redolent of spices, maltose, sesame oil at first smell and taste. Different from the Chinese style but what the hay, vive la difference. :biggrin:

As for fat, I find that if I make a big batch of yuk gon, the fat deposits in the meat go "off" or rancid before I have had a chance to eat all of the batch.

As for fat, I find that if I make a big batch of yuk gon, the fat deposits in the meat go "off" or rancid before I have had a chance to eat all of the batch.

Well, for goodness sake! Ben Go-Gaw! You don't HAVE to eat it all by yerself! :shock: What about your many mui-muis?

We've been enjoying bison jerky here. While travelling long distances, I like to keep jerky on hand, the stringy spicy kind.

Tepee's first question has me bewildered tho':

You're talking about drying the yuk gon to keep for subsequent grilling?

You grill this yuk gon? Why? Isn't it cooked already? I want to know how, so I can try it!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Well, for goodness sake! Ben Go-Gaw! You don't HAVE to eat it all by yerself! :shock: What about your many mui-muis?

We've been enjoying bison jerky here. While travelling long distances, I like to keep jerky on hand, the stringy spicy kind.

Tepee's first question has me bewildered tho':

You're talking about drying the yuk gon to keep for subsequent grilling?

You grill this yuk gon? Why? Isn't it cooked already? I want to know how, so I can try it!

I think grilling the yuk gon again is popular because it softens the meat and gives off a nice aroma(even better if you use charcoal). In Macau, one of the streets sell lots of souvenir, the store would set up little grill in front of the store to attract customers.

Right you are, Yuki. The yuk gon is done in 2 steps...first, we dry it under the sun (but I prefer the oven way-don't have to worry about pesky flies) then we grill them over charcoal. MMMMmmmmmmMMmm.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

This is pork yuk gon made by my mom...beef would be darker and with spices added, though not as spicy as the China ones. For this we need fats and the meat is roughly ground rather than sliced.

Tepee: When you make pork yuk gon, is the pork also raw? Do we need to worry about e-coli and other bacteria for eating raw meat?

You said the meat is roughly grounded. How can the ground pork hold up in sheets?

Tepee:  When you make pork yuk gon, is the pork also raw?  Do we need to worry about e-coli and other bacteria for eating raw meat?

But...but...hz, we are not eating the RAW meat. :huh: The yuk gon is definitely very cooked (twice-over, in fact) by the time we eat it.

You said the meat is roughly grounded.  How can the ground pork hold up in sheets?

Get very fresh pork...pork which hasn't been chilled...ever.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Was thinking the same thing. Food Hoarder! :angry:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

But...but...hz, we are not eating the RAW meat. :huh: The yuk gon is definitely very cooked (twice-over, in fact) by the time we eat it.

But... but... Tepee, I only saw the description of drying the meat (in the oven with low heat - 100F? such a low temperature does not kill the bacteria I believe)... is this the same as cooking? Some pork yuk gon are not grilled.

My bad...and now, I've to cover my, er...back__.

#1. My oven is calibrated in centigrades...so I dry it in 80 deg C (roughly times 2 = 160 deg F). Be my guest to do the exact conversion, but the last time somebody I know did that, it was waaaaaaaaaay off. :rolleyes: Which means - bingo! I've adhered to the 160 deg rule.

#2. We're talking about MY yuk gon here, not yours, not Ben's. And we always grill them.

So there!

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Unless one uses stale or tainted meat, one shouldn't be too too worried about bacteria in jerky or yuk gon. Marinades almost always contain salt and sugar, two excellent inhibitors which act as preservatives. Dessication and smoking are also time proven methods of food preservation and every society I can think of has one form of dried meat or another in their culinary traditions.

On the other hand, I would be very, very circumspect about eating meats dried from the raw form in regions that do not have good animal husbandry or slaughter practices. I am talking about parasites here...trichina (trichinosis), nematodes, round worms, and maybe the odd tapeworm or two. Most preserving methods will kill off any of the parasites themselves, but the egg cysts embedded in muscle fibres are another "can of worms" :raz: Not nice. :shock:

However, if after reading my above caveats you want to get rid of your yuk gon, bison jerky, salmon jerky, beef jerky, etc. etc. PM me and I will give you my mailing address so you all can send your stuff to me...for testing purposes, of course. :laugh::wub::rolleyes:

Unless one uses stale or tainted meat, one shouldn't be too too worried about bacteria in jerky or yuk gon. Marinades almost always contain salt and sugar, two excellent inhibitors which act as  preservatives. Dessication and smoking are also  time proven methods of food preservation and every society I can think of has one form of dried meat or another in their culinary traditions.

On the other hand, I would be very, very circumspect about eating meats dried from the raw form in regions that do not have good animal husbandry or slaughter practices. I am talking about parasites here...trichina (trichinosis), nematodes, round worms, and maybe the odd tapeworm or two. Most preserving methods will kill off any of the parasites themselves, but the egg cysts embedded in muscle fibres are another "can of worms" :raz: Not nice. :shock: 

However, if after reading my above caveats you want to get rid of your yuk gon, bison jerky, salmon jerky, beef jerky, etc. etc. PM me and I will give you my mailing address so you all can send your stuff to me...for testing purposes, of course. :laugh:  :wub:  :rolleyes:

Ben is 100% right, especially if your marinating as it almost always done in Asia by making sure that the meat absorbs all the marinate, you always weigh down the meats being marinated with most often a heavy stone with a solid wood board covering the surface. [under the stone].

Additionally even though your heating the Meats at a low temperature during drying the extended drying period involved should dry out and kill any egg cysts together with all bacteria.

Regarding the reality that most fats eventually will become discolored or rancid over time, this is caused primarily by Oxidation as fats do not absorb the cure or marinate at the same speed as the meat solids. It seems that if Meats are cured throughly, dried longer until all the collagen is gone. [mostly dissolves the fats] then the tiny bit of remaining fat may not become rancid. But very few of us have enough patience to wait that long. Some European Cultures actually enjoy the taste of the Rancid Fats on Cured or Smoked Meat Products. It may smell or taste funny but it's still apparently safe to eat.

Since the types of meat products, especially Beef used in Asia such as Water Buffalo or Grass Feed Beef locally raised are the types preferred for Jerky it amazing how little fat remains on the Carcass and almost all the sections that have any fat are sold quickly to retail stall customers, in fact yellow fat Beef sells for a higher price per catty [20 ounces]. That leaves only the leaner, often tougher cuts for making "Yuk Gon".

This proves my impressions about many Tastes we acquire or enjoy by memory. Almost everything that I learned to appreciate in Asia that titillated my taste buds seems to always have evolved by the ability to make something taste delicious while using the least expensive or cheapest way to prepare the item.

Some of these are: Anything "Stinky", especially Bean Curd, all the Items sold by Street Hawkers from a Large heated Cart, such as Spicy Fish Balls and Intestines, Street Congees such as late night Pork Backbones, Charred Salted Cuttlefish.

It's also applicable to many Noodle or other dishes almost everything returns to the basic of making it taste good at the lowest costs. NOBODY HAS EVER DONE IT BETTER.

To me the most eating enjoyment when traveling often comes from the "Hawkers" is Singapore, Kula Lumpar, Bangkok or Hong Kong at the Night Markets or similar venues.

Irwin :rolleyes: : :wub:

Ok, Tepee called us "bananas", but what do we call this wesza, an honourary Toisanese who is white but appears, from his knowledge of Asian foods, yellow through and through?!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

:laugh: Good one, Michael! Spot on, I must say. A really mashed and mixed (with flour, eggs, baking powder) banana!.

Lempeng pisang is a banana pancake. :smile:

Edited: Missed out the VITAL word 'pisang'.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

:laugh: Good one, Michael! Spot on, I must say. A really mashed and mixed (with flour, eggs, baking powder) banana!.

Lempeng is a banana pancake. :smile:

Ooooooo...That translates better than what I was thinking! :wacko::laugh::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

We "WESZA" are synomous with Asia since way before "BC" [not British Columbia] my tribal Family had a community in the thousands living in "Peking" ever since they originated the "Spice Routes" thru out Asia and India.

The "Navigators" who began traveling by the "Reading Stars" and invented the "Sextent" were Jews from Asia Minor who formed Trading Posts in "Goa", the "Straits", "China" and "Japan". This is the same closed "Society of Navigators" who navigated the infamous "Black Ships" and developed the Spice Trading" controlled by the Portugese for many years.

The "European Influence" only occured due to the Spanish Inquisition that when it began in Portugel caused the "Navigators" to emigrate to Holland that opened up the Dutch, French and English explorations.

The major European Food Influence in Asia was due to the Portugese who brought Bread Baking to Japan [Pan] as well as "Tempura" [Fried in Oil] via Bakers who jumped Ship in Okinowa who opened Bakeries.

In China and Japan the Steamed Sponge used for Cakes, Egg Tarts, Curry Puffs, Fried Bread and many Sweets can also be attributed to the Portugese Influence.

Even the word "WESZA" is true simplification as it's one of the easiest words to spell for a one fingered typist.

My most important influence to the Asian Community was done by importing Millions of Pounds of Chicken Feet and as many Duck Feet as available into Asia for over 20 + years from both the USA and Canada. I'm also guilty of Importing Whipped Cream Type Subsitutes, 3 different types of Poultry and live Chicks, those with Black Feet, Yellow Feet and White Feet for different markets.